All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apple Skins not Okay?
      #203979 - 08/09/05 01:51 PM
kristaIBS

Reged: 08/09/05

Hi Everyone
I am a new user, but have been referring to this site since I was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago. My IBS is not too bad. I rarely have pain, but always have bloating, gas and constipation. I have just ordered Heather's book!! Anyway, I have a question. I thought that you could incorporate insoluble fiber in carefully, so wouldn't it be okay to have a baked apple with the skin on, because you are cooking it? I looked at the recipes for baked apple, and all say to take the skin off.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Apple Skins not Okay? new
      #204001 - 08/09/05 02:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

My mother always made her baked apples by peeling the apple half-way down, leaving the skin on the bottom half. I have no idea why - I think it just looked nice. One of my cookbooks says to peel the apple 2/3 of the way down, the other says to peel just one strip off the top.

It feels to me like apple peel would be one of the tougher IFs, but if you want to try it, then maybe you could use a variation on this idea to introduce IF gradually: take almost all the peel off the apple, leaving maybe one strip around the bottom. If you tolerate that well, leave a little more the next time, then a little more, and so on. Be sure to eat the insides of the apple before the peel and cut the peel into small pieces before eating it.

Yum, baked apples. I haven't had one in years.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#204070 - 08/09/05 06:50 PM
kristaIBS

Reged: 08/09/05

Thanks!! Can you tell me what IF foods are easier to eat/digest? I wasn't aware that some were harder than others (other than raisen bran).

#204237 - 08/10/05 10:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't think there's any rule about which IFs are harder to digest than others. That's why I talked about how it "feels" to me. In general, I think skins that are tough (apple) would be harder to handle than skins that are soft (peach), but that may be just me. For example, I find cooked spinach incredibly hard to digest, but I read an older post where someone said she tolerated it well even early in the diet. On the other hand, some people report problems with cooked broccoli, but it was one of the first green vegetables I ate and I had no problems.

I think a good rule of thumb is to try foods that sound good to you. If a baked apple is what you want, give it a try. If you can't handle it, your body will let you know soon enough. If that happens, move on to something else, but come back to the baked apple later on. I do think tolerances improve as you get more stable.

And raisin bran is definitely one of the foods that "feels" tough to me.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1932 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review