All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how long before...
      #203882 - 08/09/05 10:56 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

...one starts feeling results on this diet? I just started (two days ago), but I was thinking I would feel better already. A friend said it might be two weeks before I feel better, but she isn't on this diet. So, experts, what can I expect?

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how long before... new
      #203885 - 08/09/05 11:02 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi and welcome. It does take a little while before you start feeling anything. Just give it another few days and see if you start feeling better. Are you also taking any meds for this? I am taking Zelnorm and it does help. This diet also helps.

If you need anything else please do not hesitate to ask us. We are here for you.

--------------------
Michelle

it depends new
      #203897 - 08/09/05 11:16 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was just about done writing this response and bumped something and lost it and now I don't have the energy to write it all over again. So for IBS-D it is a little faster than C or bloating. I felt somewhat better right away even without doing teh break the cycle diet because getting rid of dairy and high fat made my gurgles go away. It took longer to see results with bloating (the fennel tea helped with that as soon as I bought some). It takes time to get an irritable gut to behave when it is used to misbehaving. Eventually it has no reason to misbehave and it will almost stop. Confusion about what is safe and what isn't will make results come slower so make sure to ask questions if you have them. I wasn't doing things quite right at first and it slowed me down. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

thanks to both new
      #203906 - 08/09/05 11:29 AM
rlhilliard

this place and Heather's books have been a great help. I had guessed some of the things that bug me, but not all of them! Nice to have it in one spot...for the most part. I will definitely have to try the fennel tea then. Bloating...always (groan) it seems.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#203908 - 08/09/05 11:34 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

As people like to say here (myself included), "Everyone's different!"

I started Heather's diet in October, but I didn't follow it very well and so I didn't see much improvment. Near the end of December, following a particularly nasty Christmas Eve attack, I decided to follow Heather's guidelines exactly as written. In a couple of days the D went away.
(However, I did average about one flare-up a month from December to March as I was adding in new foods and experimenting with IF and fats.)

The gas and bloating took longer to resolve. Geeze, I don't remember how long--maybe a few weeks to a month?

It did take about four months for the pain and cramping to subside--and it wasn't until it was gone that I realized I had been having constant pain, many times debilitating pain, for the past ten years! I'm still in shock that I have days without any cramping or pain. I haven't been able to celebrate because it just feels so...weird. Does that make sense to anyone?

Although I haven't had an attack of D since March, I still deal with flare-ups of pain, gas, and bloating, which I can usually connect to something I should have been more careful eating or stress/anxiety.

HTH!

gas and bloating new
      #203913 - 08/09/05 11:42 AM
rlhilliard

gas and bloating is my biggest factor it seems. someone mentioned fennel tea. I'm going to try that too and see if it helps.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#203968 - 08/09/05 01:32 PM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I felt the results of the diet pretty quick but I had returned from the hospital after a three day stay due to severe c. My gut was quite empty and I started Heather's diet like within a week of the hospital stay. I had been on Zelnorm for about a month and a half but I hadn't really noticed any change. After the January hospital stay I started Milk of magnesia (three tbl/day) along with the zelnorm and cut out high fiber foods and all SFS. I then found Heather's diet, tailored it to suit my needs and I am quite stable now. I have ocassional minor flare-ups but I can't believe how good I feel most of the time. When I look back and realize how miserable I was for ten+ years I am just amazed.

So bottom line is: give it more time. I think if you are d then you might feel the results quicker than a c because of the back-up effect in the c person. Alll in all I would give it at least a two week trial period. Just curious are you a c or d?

#204085 - 08/09/05 09:15 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Trust me, it does get better! The gas improved dramatically after I gave up dairy - I think it took a few days though before I noticed improvement. Zelnorm helped the C somewhat, and for me the bloating is the biggest challenge. The best way I found to manage that is to eat very small portions (approx half of what you'd normally eat). I won't even use a regular sized plate anymore for supper, because even a small plate can be too big. But it is hard to learn to stop eating before you feel full. You can always eat the other half later! I'm not sure if it's the acacia, diet or combination of the two, but when I do fall off the wagon now I bounce back within a day or two.

Best of luck!

hmmm... new
      #204225 - 08/10/05 10:29 AM
rlhilliard

I tend to be more of a C (unless I eat way too much), but lately I haven't been dealing with it a whole lot. I think it is because I've been walking so much. Which reminds me...need to get out there for my walk.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

portions new
      #204230 - 08/10/05 10:32 AM
rlhilliard

Thanks! portions have not been too much of a problem. thankfully that is one of the things I've noticed within the last year that really effects me. When I was younger I ate until I got full then I stopped. LOL! Can't figure out why I changed that nearly 6 years ago now. Oh well.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review