All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Still trying ...
      #203145 - 08/06/05 11:18 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

is it normal to bloat while Im trying to break the cycle? I woke up alright this morning, I went and had a banana, and I immediately felt it. So, Im going to be like this for the entire day. I feel depressed.
Maybe it's PMS? Im due for my period soon, I think I might of missed it. Or it might just show up soon. Maybe that's what it is. Wouldn't be a big deal then, I can live PMS bloating. But not this..

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yes it is very normal new
      #203212 - 08/06/05 05:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You might bloat even after you are stable- no you will bloat! I hope it doesn't bother you when I say you are a ways off from not getting bloat and other symptoms. Just keep up and it will eventually get better. And yes it might be PMS. Either way drink a lot of fennel tea. It takes more than 2 cups to start to feel it I think.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Bloating and some additional info new
      #203255 - 08/06/05 08:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, I think bloating is normal. I would expect a bit more bloat once you start adding more foods in, like soy products and IF foods. I think this is why some of us get worried after BTC: we see an increase in gas and bloating and think we're doing something wrong even though we're following the diet.

I'll try to explain what I believe happens: When you're not eating certain foods regularly your digestive systems doesn't produce enough of the enzymes needed to digest them. That's why you introduce them in a little at time-- to build up a tolerance by increasing the production of those necessary enzymes. While your body is adjusting, you may experience more gas and bloating because these foods are not getting fully digested and end up in the large intestine where they are broken down by bacteria and create gas. HOWEVER, this effect lessens because, as you continue to eat these foods, your digestive tract starts producing more of those helpful enzymes.

HTH!

Also, I'm curious to know wheather the bloat bothers you because you think it's a sign that you may have an attack or because it will last for a while and be uncomfortable?

Does everyone bloat? new
      #203261 - 08/06/05 09:01 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've always gotten bloated right before my period, but that's it. Once the IBS came along I've never noticed any more bloating. Just curious.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Does everyone bloat? new
      #203301 - 08/07/05 08:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Occasionally, but not often enough for me to consider it a symptom. That is, I don't think I bloat any more now than I did pre-IBS.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Bloating and some additional info new
      #203326 - 08/07/05 11:33 AM
Lucrece

Because it WILL last and be extremely uncomfortable. I hardly ever see myself looking 'normal' anymore.
And I don't think I'll have the patience to stick with the diet this long, if I don't see any decent improvements.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Fennel new
      #203327 - 08/07/05 11:50 AM
Lucrece

Fennel tea ..Can you get it anywhere besides off of this website by any chance? Like, any brand names or anything..

--------------------
IBS-C

I buy Altiva brand fennel tea new
      #203349 - 08/07/05 02:29 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

you can find it at most HFS or Wild Oats, or Whole Foods. Probably not as strong as Heather's from what I hear. It doesn't seem to help my bloated belly much.

I have bloat everyday...increasing from the time I get up slowly until I look like a pregnant woman by bed time. Doesn't matter what I ate either.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Augie & Lucrece new
      #203353 - 08/07/05 02:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I hope my explanation on why I think bloating happens didn't come across as dismissing the problem or me just being a smart-ass (which I can be guilty of, but not here). I just know I was bloated after BTC, when I started adding in vegetables--and it still happens and I think, for me, it's just not being accustomed to those IF foods. And I didn't mean to suggest that bloating wasn't a big deal or that it would definitely go away after a while. Bloating seems like one of the more difficult symptoms to manage.

My bloating seems to go hand-in-hand with a D attack--so if I get really bloated I start feeling anxious! But I also get it along with PMS, so I hope, Lucrece, that's all it turns out to be.

And Beth, I'm sorry you're not having any luck with your bloat. The first year I had IBS and was trying to figure out what to do, I was bloated all the time and my "friend" used to always comment on it--saying I was fat or why was my belly so big. So frustrating! I think she told people I had a worm or something!

Re: Augie & Lucrece new
      #203362 - 08/07/05 02:59 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

The first year I had IBS and was trying to figure out what to do, I was bloated all the time and my "friend" used to always comment on it--saying I was fat or why was my belly so big. So frustrating! I think she told people I had a worm or something!

Sounds like you did have a worm - her.

As for fennel, I've heard that it's possible to buy really fresh spices cheaply at Indian food stores. I haven't tried it, but it might be something to look into. Brand names - I like Traditional Medicinals Eater's Digest tea. It's a combo of peppermint, fennel, and ginger. I don't have big problems with bloat so I can't swear to it's efficacy, but I like the taste. I've also found fennel crostini at my grocery store - they're fabulously delicious, which is odd since I hate fennel tea.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

It didn't even cross my mind! new
      #203364 - 08/07/05 03:05 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Silly woman! Yeah, bloat is one of the hardest symptoms to control they say. I wish I was one who didn't have this particular symptom. You can't hide a preggo looking belly and clothes come off as soon as I get home.

So don't worry, Maria...I don't think your post was anything but helpful. Maybe it is temporary for Lucrece...but not for me!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Fennel new
      #203390 - 08/07/05 05:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Traditional Medicinals makes a tea called "eater's Digest" that has fennel, ginger and peppermint. But Heather's bulk, fresh bags of fennel are really the best. Also a box of Traditional Medicinals costs around $4 I think.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Im just confused new
      #203493 - 08/08/05 08:23 AM
Lucrece

I had been eating nothing but SF foods for a while now, and I woke up this morning without a bloat!!! Yes, I was very happy about that. However, when I brushed my teeth and drank a glass of water with benefiber the horrid bloat returned.
Now what does this mean? I think my colon is teasing me or something ..driving me insane!!
Did it do something wrong? Does it mean that I am too unstable? Could it be PMS around the corner. (Although Im late ..about a week late.)

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1988

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review