All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Trying to eat more veggies, and having a problem...
      #202684 - 08/04/05 09:51 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi ya'll,

Now that I am more stable and I am trying to lose weight, I am trying to incorporate more fruit and vegetables into my diet.
I know that for ages, I was eating very, very few vegetables because I was so unstable. Since then, when I was eating veggies, they were cooked.
I want to be able to add in more vegetables, cooked and uncooked but I have been _totally_ unable to eat any raw vegetables OR fruit!
It's not even my tummy that is stopping me!
Lately, I've tried to eat raw apple (skinned), cucumbers (which I used to eat ALL the time), lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, peppers, oranges...
Every time, my throat totally freaks out! I end up in big coughing fits, feeling like I can't swallow.. it's really awful.
Even cooked veggies are starting to bother me, I am getting really frustrated.
Is this an allergic reaction? Am I intolerant because I didn't have them for so long?
I end up having to take reactine, and even then it takes ages for my throat to calm back down.
What should I do??

Thanks for any input!
Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmm.... new
      #202690 - 08/05/05 04:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, if you can eat *cooked* versions of any of those foods - like applesauce, cooked tomatoes, cooked peppers - then it's not allergies. I don't know what you've tried to eat already, but if you're allergic to something, I would think you'd be allergic straight across the board - something cooked would affect you the same way as something raw.

My guess - and only a guess - is that if it's not allergies, it's a reaction to you being subconsciously worried about how raw stuff is going to affect you. Anxiety can do some bizarre things to your body. Back before I was on lexapro, I often had times where I couldn't swallow - not only food, but tiny pills like Imodium would have me freaking out because I felt like they were jammed in my throat.

Just a thought!

Re: Trying to eat more veggies, and having a problem... new
      #202714 - 08/05/05 06:44 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Didn't you have a problem with your throat last year, and find out it was anxiety? I think Casey is right that that's what's going on. In the meantime, while you try to work that out, try driking low sodium V8. It's how I get most of my veggies! I hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#202744 - 08/05/05 08:21 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I used to eat some raw veggies, but since discovering Heather's diet and eating only cooked veggies, I've found it difficult to go back to raw veggies. I find I don't tolerate them as well as I used to. Perhaps I just didn't realize I was challenging my stomach all the time when I ate raw veggies. Perhaps I was used to the constant pain, but now that I've switched to cooked veggies, my body has become "pampered" and doesn't want to go back to raw veggies and experience discomfort again.

I eat veggies once a day for dinner. I eat them peeled, de-seeded and cooked and I eat them with lots of soluble fibre (potatoes or white rice) and some protein (chicken, turkey or fish).

I eat fruit once a day for breakfast. I smear babyfood fruit sauce (like Heinz or Gerber's strawberry/apple sauce, or just plain apple or pear sauce) on a white flour bagel (soluble fibre). Babyfood fruit sauce is ideal because its pureed and cooked and often contains no other ingredients other than the fruit itself. It also has no added sugar, which is good for dieters like yourself!

I'm also able to tolerate some slices of watermelon and honeydew melon (obviously not cooked!) provided I eat it following a meal that includes lots of soluble fibre.

#202777 - 08/05/05 09:06 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

1. You're stressed out. This causes constriction--you've got a tense gi tract/esophagus and perhaps that's why there's acid/extreme discomfort and any combination or degree/intestity of attack reactions. I get this too. If I told you how many times I've redone the "plan" due to listening to my body you'd laugh. (A lot of the time I know it's the fearful animal part of me/inner child rebellion) I don't FORCE a thing. A lot of times I can't isolate exactly what is wrong, but that really doesn't matter. It could be something completely unrelated to what is being offered to the body as sustenance. Sometimes the idea is just too intimidating or like bullying. Maybe you need some recent successes under your belt to built up a little veggie self-esteem? (Sort of the formula situation, i.e. tried, tested, retested and true?)

I know if I'm afraid or anxious, I will LOSE MY VOICE, get paralyzed with fear/stunned and just CLOSE. Honestly, I'm sure that's half the issue. Also, you've been in a fragile/delicate IBS state.

Another thing I do when I'm seized by a similar sensation is stick to a MONO-Veggie or MONO-Fruit approach. No spices or anything extreme. Just ONE thing on your plate!!! And one flavour.

I don't eat anything raw anymore. It sends me way over the top. My food is predominantly pureed, though lately, my body has been in the mood to chew (I have TMJ and sometimes anxiety makes me fear chewing so I have to spoonfeed myself). All greens are pureed.

All I can say, is just make a few notes and stick to safe foods. (Sorry, but all of the things you listed would give me a huge attack!!!) Keep it well cooked and simple and even pureed. If your body says no, than honour that. It might just mean, not now or maybe later. Often, my body wants the veggies later. There's just an "issue" happening or psychologically I'm asking for an attack.

Kate, IBS

Re: Hmm.... new
      #202790 - 08/05/05 09:30 AM
Stephie

Actually, you can be allergic to vegetables raw that you aren't allergic to cooked. It's a problem my mom has with things like tomatoes and brocolli, she can eat them if they are cooked but if they are raw she gets a really bad reaction.
I didn't think of this until the other day after wracking my brains about what could be going on.
I have tried to link it to anxiety too, but it just doesn't seem to work quite right because it happens at times when it totally takes me by surprise. Although, I guess if it is subconscious that could happen right?
I hate it when I have to just call something anxiety related, because then I don't know how to fix it!
Thanks for the reply!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#202791 - 08/05/05 09:30 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Steph! What the others have mentioned about anxiety sounds like an accurate description of what may be happening to you.

How much are you eating at one time? I'm also trying to build up my confidence when it comes to eating vegetables. I haven't tried pureeing them yet, although I was eating some canned baby food (as Wind as mentioned before, canned baby food tastes disgusting). However, I do cook my vegetables very thoroughly and when I introduce a new vegetable I only have one or two spoonfuls and chew them very well. Also, I think fruits are easily digested when pureed or blended in a smoothie. Maybe you can fool your body this way, by drinking your fruits and vegetables, and once you build up your confidence expand into whole fruits and vegetables.

Just for the record, I can't tolerate any of the foods you listed except peppers and tomatoes (but they have to be seeded, finey chopped or cooked, and in small amounts). I did have a very small piece of chopped apple with banana, but that didn't feel good.

Right now, I figure it doesn't matter how fast or how much IF I'm getting. I feel as though I need to be stable for a while longer, get my gut working well and consistently, and get to a point where I have a much better grip on my anxiety problems. This doesn't mean I'm avoiding IF, it just means I'm taking it slowly and in small amounts. I'm taking baby steps, with the plan that eventually I'll be able to eat a wider variety of healthy IF foods.

Take care!

Amanda new
      #202792 - 08/05/05 09:33 AM
Stephie

Hiya,

Yeah, I had a problem a while ago where I was having bad feelings in my throat constantly and the doc told me I was imagining it! So anxiety, I suppose.
Since then, I've been tested and diagnosed with reflux and it has gotten a LOT better.
It seems to only come on now with the veggies.
I do have a history with this.. like I could never eat those baby carrots, my throat just goes nuts since I was like 7.
Bah, this is so frustrating.
Thanks for your suggestion about the V8 juice, I will def give that a try! Do you find it doesn't bother your belly at all?
Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#202797 - 08/05/05 09:37 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am also trying to get in more veggies. So far, the safest IF veg for me has been frozen green beans and a little bit of red pepper. I can handle raw tomatoes, but cooked, at least the last Barilla pasta sauce was baaad news. I can also handle a tiny bit of raw spinich on a sandwich. I've been wondering about asparagus lately, but I guessing it's like brocolli has become: STINKY GASLAND! I miss broc. and salads. Anyway, sorry I don't have any advice, but I do sympathize.

Re: Amanda new
      #202872 - 08/05/05 12:40 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hm, with reflux you might have to be careful of the tomatoyness (I know that's not a word) in the V8, but I don't know much about reflux so that's your call. I find it does not bother my tummy but I do usually have to go within an hour or two of taking it. It never gives me D but it does help me go when I'm a little C (since I'm an A). There is, of course, a ton of fiber in it so that makes sense. I wouldn't drink more than 8oz a day, which is all you really need for all the vitamins and everything. Also there are only 50 calories in 8 oz which is practically nothing.
HTH.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3964 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review