All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FEAR raises it's ugly head again...
      #202285 - 08/03/05 10:33 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I've been doing pretty good the last couple of weeks with the IBS symptoms.(Only a few BAD experiments, like DH undercooking some foods) Not sure I can say stable because I'm still adding IF slowly. As I have more experiences getting out of the house without the drama of frequent stops for D I am getting braver. I truly became a shut-in for months on end. My DH informed me that we need to go to Cocoa Beach (6-7 hours away) this weekend. My first response was "NOT ME" but it really upset the hubby. He has helped me in every possible way get as far as I am right now with this diet and it isn't easy to make this many changes. Of course well worth it. I know that if I can get through this trip I will feel so much stronger. It will take some planning on my part and honestly it scares the daylights out of me to think about road food!!
I've gone overnight to my daughters and taken all the food and supplements I needed. That may be tricker with this longer trip but I am busy making lists of what to take. Wish me luck. Oh, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FEAR raises it's ugly head again... new
      #202294 - 08/04/05 05:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck! {{{hugs}}} Plan EVERYTHING and make a little comfort zone in the car...I used to ALWAYS travel with food, drinks, all my meds, pillows, blankets, those sticky heat pads that warm up when they're out of the wrapper, music on the stereo, toilet paper, bags for if I get sick, etc, etc.

#202299 - 08/04/05 05:19 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Ditto to what Linz said. I just got back from a week's vacation. My DH laughed when he saw my travel bag for the 7 hour car ride, then the groceries I was taking. But thankfully he understands.

Not sure what your eating right now but I packed (for the car ride) several snacks (Orange-cranberry bread,french bread, oyseter crackers, graham crackers, applesauce, canned peaches,Luna bars, travel silver ware, napkins, babywipes,), plenty of water, 3 oz cans of tuna-in a pinch I can eat it plain. I also always carry in my purse a few pepermint tea bags, fennel tea bags and stevia(a natural sweetner)and of course a selection of medication. For the week away I took, cream of wheat, more tea bags (fennel and pepermint), more stevia, bigger cans of tuna, Social Tea cookies, Licorice, soy milk in small size boxes that don't need refrigeration, more water.

Lots of time we go to "the big city" for a day (80 miles away) so he is used to me packing a whole bunch of stuff just for a day trip. I always carry emergency clothing (at least underwear, trashbags, flushable wipes, etc)

Good luck!

Jamie

#202380 - 08/04/05 10:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you have any idea of where you'll be eating when you get there, you can do some research about what foods are available. For example, if you'll eat at a Chili's restaurant, you can Search on Chili's to see what people say are safe choices.

I always travel with pretzels and those little 1/2 cup containers of applesauce. Don't forget the spoons! And your SFS.

Good luck. I hope you have a great trip.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks everyone. new
      #202505 - 08/04/05 01:55 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will be doing some shopping tomorrow for the travel food. It is amazing how much is involved in being prepared to take care of myself in these type of situations. I always tell my DH that the only people who would do all this stuff are those who have suffered enough to not want to go back to that misery. I still remember the evening I announced to him that for the first time in many years I was pain free.

I don't have a clue about where we will be eating but I've found grilled chicken sandwiches with mustard work pretty good. I will fill a suitcase up with "my" foods and supplements. I'll write when I get back to let you all know how it went. It may take an extra immodium and a xanax to get out the door at 5 a.m. (mornings are my "bathroom" time so this will change my schedule somewhat). Thanks again for your suggestions and most of all for your support. It's not a subject most people give a crap (oops!) about........

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 562

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review