All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question
      #202135 - 08/03/05 01:14 PM
jenniferlynn

Reged: 02/10/05
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I have been on the diet since February. I have been doing well. Has anyone experienced hair loss with this diet. I have been losing alot in the past month or so. Should I up my protein? Are soy protein shakes SF? HELP!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question new
      #202138 - 08/03/05 01:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Are you getting enough calories? Are you stressed out? How are your B vitamin levels (get checked for anemia, B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, etc.)? Low B levels, B12, anemia could be part of the problem. Also, are you getting enough silica in your diet? (To find out re: silica, do a search). I had a hair problem until I found out re: malabsorption of B12 and low silica levels. I now get B12 shots as I don't intestinally absorb it and things are growing again (baby fine and thin, BUT BACK!). I also eat a diet high in silica and take collidal silica gel.

May I ask re: the status of your fingernails? This could point to a vitamin deficiency/anemia.

Kate, IBS-D.

#202140 - 08/03/05 01:26 PM
jenniferlynn

Reged: 02/10/05
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough calories? I was checked for anemia and thyroid b/c my mom has that. I'm not really stressed other than my attacks. I never did figure out how much fat in grams per day to have? Are soy protein shakes safe?

#202142 - 08/03/05 01:29 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hair loss is not usually due to a low fat intake. Soy protein shakes are safe if you're not soy-intolerant/allergic/sensitive. Are you a vegetarian? I'd still get your B 12 checked.

Kate, IBS-D.

Hair everywhere new
      #202148 - 08/03/05 01:42 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I underwent significant hair loss a few years back and determined it was likely due to a combination of things: my age and the use of hair dye/dye rinses on my scalp.

I couldn't do much about my age (!), however, nowadays I go to a hairdresser who uses a good quality dye and applies the product to my hair using foil so the dye doesn't touch my scalp. Surprisingly I found switching from a dye rinse to a permanent dye also helped.

Magically, my hair has stopped falling out ... except for normal falling. Unfortunately, any hair loss due to use of dyes can never be replaced. However, I had a lot of hair at the outset so the loss of some of it was probably a good thing since I am very short and used to kind of look like Cousin It!

Diet can also play a role in hair loss, but Heather's diet is a sensible one so her diet shouldn't be causing your hair loss ... unless you are very restricted in what you are able to eat.

#202156 - 08/03/05 02:03 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

How much hair conditioner are you using? I've previously experienced hair loss, and gradually realized that I had been using way too much hair conditioner. Maybe hair conditioner in general, isn't good for you, or maybe I had an allergic reaction. Be careful which hair care products you are putting into your hair as well. Some are damaging. I would recommend hair balm, or reconstructive products.

--------------------
IBS-C

#202171 - 08/03/05 02:36 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

yes, I experienced hair loss with this diet. I know it goes against what other people on the boards have been saying, but the IBS diet is very restrictive and you probably aren't getting enough protein and vitamins. I also think your hair and skin both need fat to stay healthy. Also a problem with IBS, is that our bodies don't digest things properly, so we don't always absorb enough vitamins and minerals. Especially if you have "D" often, many vitamins and minerals, just go straight through.

Also, your body needs biotin (a "B" vitamin) in order to stay make healthy hair and nails and skin. Unfortunately one of the best sources of biotin is egg yolks, which obviously are bad for our tummy.

I take a "Healthy Hair, Skin, and Nails" vitamin, it contains many B vitamins, including biotin, along with some other vitamins and I believe that it is really helping my hair. I also try and get as many "good" fats as I can such as olive oil.

I don't know much about Soy Protein shakes, because soy gives me migraines, but I think the protein should be safe and healthy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review