All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does your "hunger signal" work?
      #201760 - 08/02/05 10:52 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Just curious how it is for others. Yes, I know a feeling of fullness is an IBS symptom. I usually eat every couple of hours, but even when I don't, I rarely actually feel hungry.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does your "hunger signal" work? new
      #201770 - 08/02/05 11:09 AM
katherinesanders

Reged: 07/31/05

No, I do get hungry (at least when I'm not in the middle of an attack) - but I think taking the Buscopan has helped since I'm no longer constantly bloated. I'm just getting into the routine of snacking, since my previous coping strategy for IBS-D was just not to eat!!

Katherine

yep, works just fine new
      #201776 - 08/02/05 11:37 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Now I even get hungry when I miss a snack that I'm used to!

I can really tell when my blood sugar gets low, so maybe that's part of it.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#201778 - 08/02/05 11:41 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Mine never stops working. All I want to do is eat.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#201782 - 08/02/05 12:03 PM
Snorkie

I wish mine worked better. For me, part of the joy of looking forward to a good meal is being hungry for it!

Hardly ever feel hungry... new
      #201795 - 08/02/05 12:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...just eat according to the clock to get the calories I need. But never feel true hunger and always feel full, with exception of breakfast.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#201822 - 08/02/05 01:39 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I hear ya, I'm the same way, have been that way for awhile. Now I'm pregnant, so I really have to force feed myself. My hunger signals haven't worked right in about 3 or 4 years since all the problems started. How about for you?

#201830 - 08/02/05 01:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I rarely feel hunger anymore and that's eerie. I'm starting to drink "sugar" calories just to fuel the brain. (Although it's better to eat the fruit or veg. for carbs.) I get full so very fast, when I do eat. It could just be the heat and stress playing a huge roll.

I don't wake-up hungry and I really don't get hungry and such an ever increasingly small amount of food fills me up.
If I can't finish what I've put on my plate then it goes in the garbage versus feeling unbearable discomfort.

Kate, IBS-D.

#201877 - 08/02/05 04:50 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Mine over works...I get unbearably hungry very quickly and don't leave the house without snacks! I wake up completely starving!! sometimes I am woken in the night with hunger! - mainly when I am exercising a lot!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#201945 - 08/02/05 09:09 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I don't get hungry very often, at least not what you would call "stomach hunger." Usually I feel so bloated that you'd think I just had a five course meal. However, if I haven't eaten for about four or five hours, I start to get kind of shaky and lightheaded, so I know it's time to eat!
I have to eat according to the clock to get the calories and nutrients I need, but I miss the sensation of being hungry.
My signals have also been sort of turned around due to my long term battle with eating disorders.
Sometimes I feel like I am stuffing myself, and it seems incredibly counterintuitive. But I just have to keep telling myself that I need to be eating regularly, and that my body will hopefully adjust in time. I have realized that a feeling of emptiness in the stomach is not the only sign that you need to eat!

--------------------
Julia

#201977 - 08/03/05 06:41 AM
jessica28

I agree...same thing with me, and i have a past battle of eating disorders. My hunger signals have not been right ever since. Does your weight go up and down due to the hunger signals, or do you more or less "force" feed yourself?

Jessica

Oh yeah new
      #201985 - 08/03/05 06:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It works too well, in fact. LOL

How do we get it to work properly??? Will it ever?? new
      #201987 - 08/03/05 06:52 AM
jessica28

#202045 - 08/03/05 08:45 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Mine too. I have battled bulimia for 21 + years and i can't remember mine ever working. Now, since starting the diet, I have put on almost 10 pounds in the past 3 months and am really struggling with that. I rarely ever feel hungry, but always want to eat. I am working to convince myself that it's ok to gain for now, becasue I feel soooo much better. But, as anyone who has dealt with a disorder knows, it's a day by day battle. Until I read this thread, I thought it was just me, as far as never feeling hungry. I wake up and force myself to have breakfast, because I know I should. then, the rest of the day, I eat here and there but am never really hungry. I do, however, wake up in the middle of the night hungry(or at least I think I am) and eat. I know, that's part of the reason I am putting on the weight. Oh well, IBS is such fun.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#202082 - 08/03/05 10:42 AM
Snorkie

Mine stopped working when the IBS really kicked in. I've never had a ED, unless you would count stress eating. So I guess it went all wonky after the infamous beef with brocolli in November 2004.

Blows my mind that I used to eat several cups a brocolli a week and now I don't dare touch the stuff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4908 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2237

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review