All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Are freezer perogies ok for the BTC diet?
      #201722 - 08/02/05 09:25 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

The perogies that I have are potato and onion. They have no egg, cheese or any other dairy in them. There were a few "big-worded" ingredients in them that I am unsure of, as to what they are (additives, preservatives, etc). But, do you think these are ok, or should i just stick to plain ol' pasta ?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are freezer perogies ok for the BTC diet? new
      #201723 - 08/02/05 09:28 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Where did you find the ones that are just potato and onion? I've been looking ALL over for them. Seems like everything has cheese. Are they the Mrs. T brand? I used to LIVE on those in college. Anyway, I think they should probably be safe food in general. The onions might be a little much for the BTC diet so you might want to hold off on them. But, once you successfully BTC, you can eat those for sure. Now I want some!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#201739 - 08/02/05 09:43 AM
crew

No actually they are "Golden Gourmet" brand. Let's see .. this is the website on the back of their box www.oldfashionedkitchen.com

Maybe you can find them in NY!!

#201745 - 08/02/05 09:49 AM
crew

Also .. I always find them in the organic freezer section. Like with all of the "Amy's" stuff, and the Vegan/vegetarian TV dinners. I dont know if grocery stores in NY are set up the same, but I thought I would throw that in there anyway!

#201746 - 08/02/05 09:51 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for them. Seems their website is more geared toward Kosher delis who want to stock their products, and not so much for individual customers. I'll check a few Kosher delis around here and see what I can come up with

--------------------
Amanda

#201748 - 08/02/05 09:55 AM
crew

I have always found them in my regular grocery stores (Randalls, and H-E-B) .. I doubt you have either of those, but you still might look around your grocery stores as well.

Re: LOL, my grandmother makes blueberry ones!!! new
      #201833 - 08/02/05 02:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Perogies are as easy as dough and water, with a little egg white to seal them shut. Boil for 5 or six minutes and presto!!! My grandmother makes blueberry ones. Basically, if you make them yourself and DON'T fry them they're safe. If you want them crispy, just Pam spray a cookie sheet and place on top. Some of the traditional fillings are troublesome, i.e. any cheese/potatoe ones, or sauerkraut. You can pretty much put just about anything inside of a perogie.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: LOL, my grandmother makes blueberry ones!!! new
      #201841 - 08/02/05 02:25 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yum, maybe I'll make up a batch at some point. The church I went to in college was mostly Russian, and we sold pierogies every other week all year, and every week during Lent (when we fast from all meat, dairy, wine, and olive oil). So, if you live near a Russian Orthodox church, you can pretty much bet that any Lenten pierogies will be dairy free!

--------------------
Amanda

I Love Mrs. T's! new
      #201879 - 08/02/05 04:53 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

we always have those around for days when we don't feel like cooking. We usually get potato and cheese. Yum!

--------------------

what the heck are perogies?? new
      #201893 - 08/02/05 05:38 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

My Iowa hick roots are showing.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

A Polish food.... new
      #201921 - 08/02/05 07:52 PM
epa_ginger

although every ethnicity has some variation (won tons, ravioli, etc), basically dough with stuff inside. Pierogies come filled with everything from cheese to onions to fruit to sauerkraut.....Mrs. T's is a good brand when you're not getting them homemade. Try them sometime!

--------------------

Re: what the heck are perogies?? new
      #201923 - 08/02/05 07:54 PM
Wind

They're kind of like dumplings! Just boiled dough (flour and water) with a filling (varies: potatoe/cheese or potatoe/onion or potatoe/bacon or just potatoe or sauerkraut or fruit are traditional ones). They're Eastern European in origin (Polish/Russian/Ukranian).

Kate.

Re: A Polish food.... new
      #201930 - 08/02/05 08:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

yum! I love peirogies and keilbasa and all that yummy polish stuff cause I'm a nice little polish girl!

ahhh if only keilbasa were ibs safe! Instead I settle for turkey keilbasa

--------------------

Re: Spicey, I'm a nice Polish girl, too! new
      #202072 - 08/03/05 10:07 AM
Wind

I had no idea you were Polish, too!!! Polish food is scarey!!!
I think its full of NITRATES!!! (Just kidding...but you should see some of the UNSAFE stuff my family buy every week at the market. Not only an illegal quantity of kielbasa, but
that cured back bacon. And the booze--woah! It's the "House of Spiritus!" And the pounds of butter and lard they go through! Sorry, I've got a vegan heart and soul.
But perogies can be safe.

My (Babcia's)grandmother's cooking would kill me.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Spicey, I'm a nice Polish girl, too! new
      #202073 - 08/03/05 10:21 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

haha oh I know! we don't eat polish food all that often though.. we mainly reserve it for easter when we have a polish feast!

my grandmothers specialty is cabbage and noodles with about a million pounds of butter! yummmy!

Anyways.. i'm not 100% polish though.. are you?!?

I'm primarily polish with a little german, austrian and swedish thrown into the mix.

--------------------

I'm 50%.... new
      #202118 - 08/03/05 12:44 PM
epa_ginger

and I unfortunately don't like most polish food, although I love pierogies. There is a newish polish place by my parents that we go to a lot, a buffet, and it's just too heavy for me. I get the pierogies and potato pancakes and that's it!
My grandparents spoke polish when we were little, and we always sing Happy Birthday in polish at parties. My husband, and my brothers girfriend/wives think it's hilarious.

--------------------

Re: I'm over 75 percent... new
      #202141 - 08/03/05 01:27 PM
Wind

With a little Russian/Ukranian tossed in for fun.

Honestly, Polish food is just too rich for me. It makes me very ill. My grandmother still doesn't quite understand the concept of veganism, and IBS is incomprehensible to her. I haven't been to Christmas dinner (Wigilia) or Easter in years. The smell of the house is too intense for me.

Kate, IBS-D.

They're a huge hit in this part of multicultural Canada.... new
      #202240 - 08/03/05 07:04 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

we have a ton of Ukrainian immigrants who have sucked us in to their delicious lif estyles!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Perrogie from scratch? new
      #222611 - 11/01/05 03:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How do you boil dough? How much dough, water, and egg do ya need? Y'all are making this Russian/Polish descent gal hungrrrry!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: These things are AWESOME! new
      #222627 - 11/01/05 04:25 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I ate perogies just about every day before I was sick because they are cheap and really quick to make and really good! I haven't eaten them since 2003!!! I forgot all about them until I read this thread. I miss them really bad, now!! Maybe I could try to eat the potato perogies. Probably not......they are full of crap, including preservatives and all that stuff we're supposed to stear clear of!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Ruch... new
      #222668 - 11/01/05 11:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...do a search for Ukranian food on the Recipe Exchange. There's an ethnic food thing going on atm!

Re: Parties making Pierogies new
      #222670 - 11/02/05 01:48 AM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

My mother, my aunt, my grandmother and my sisters make pierogies (that's how it is spelled) from scratch all the time. They have "pierogies" making parties. But they make them with Sauerkraut and a Feta-like cheese....sometimes with Apricots. Big Polish Community and upbringing back in Western NY near Buffalo area and almost a "sin" to eat them frozen and store-bought.

But I never really liked the homemade kind though. I used to eat the Mrs. T's Brand before IBS...now I'm afraid to eat them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4662

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review