All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For us girls with IBS Why??? And Question about Beano
      #201497 - 08/01/05 03:39 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Why does the IBS get worse when you are getting ready to have your period or on your period? Does anyone know, a scientific reason??? Also, I bought some Beano and was reading the label and it has mannitol, which is a form of surgar alcohol, and it said on the web search it has the same formula as sorbitol??? Is it safe for us IBS-D people??? Also I was reading what Aspergillus niger is the active ingredient in Beano, pretty scary, do you know they have tested it on mice, rats, cats, ducklings.......I'm so confused Wanted to check first........ Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For us girls with IBS Why??? And Question about Beano new
      #201547 - 08/01/05 06:18 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

That's funny, I've wondered the same thing. the only thing I can figure out is that, for me, pre IBS-D, I would always get C a few days before. Being as irregular as I can be, that was helpful to let me know when I was going to start. Then, After I started the "diet" I actually looked forward to my period coming because I knew it would back me up enough that I could leave the house and not have that sense of urgency. Now that I am pretty stable, it's back to the C but is also accompanied now by worse gas and bloating than I usually have.

As for the beano, I use it religiously and have zero problem. Might just be me, but whatever is in it doesn't seem to bother me. If I didn't use it, my diet would be even more dismal. It really helps me with soy products.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#201555 - 08/01/05 07:12 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm not sure why exactly but I know that some of my friends who DON'T have IBS get D during their period and I know that any hormone therapy at all (the pill, depo provera, anything herbal used to regulate hormones) gives me major D. My GP once said I am allergic to my own progesterone (that's the one that gives us the D, the estrogen is fine). I get really bad D for at least 4 days before my period then usually during the first 3 days. By the time the D stops my period is almost over, then a week later I ovulate and more D. Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't a woman whether I'd even have IBS On the other matter mannitol is a humectant like sorbitol and can cause major D in people who don't have IBS. I guess it's a case of try it and see if it affects you. The other thing someone said to me the other day (and I don't know much about beano, we can't get it here) is that the liquid form has mannitol but the tablets don't so maybe you could check that and go for the pills? Hope this helps

--------------------
Amy

#201567 - 08/01/05 08:24 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I get D right before and during my period. I would imagine it has something to do with the PAIN, and whatever stimulates uterine contractions also stimulates the intestine. All those hormones are running amock in our bowels!

#201615 - 08/02/05 04:43 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Re: Mannitol

Mannitol is an alcohol form of mannose. It occurs NATURALLY in lots of foods, i.e. pineaple, olives, asparagus, sweet potatoes, carrots, cranberries, blueberries...This sugar, "mannose," can be purchased in powder form at a lot of HFS.
Interestingly enough, it is supposed to be beneficial for UTI's!

Xylitol is an alcohol form of xylose, a.k.a. "wood sugar." (You can actually buy big bags of the stuff at the HFS.) It occurs naturally in foods, i.e. straw, corn cobs, cereals, mushrooms and some seaweeds.

Sorbitol also occurs naturally in a lot of foods, i.e. apples, peaches, pears, plums, cherries. It is an indigestible sugar. Excess sorbitol levels cause the body to try and dilute the sugar by pulling water from the bloodstream to the intestine.

Hope this is helpful, or at least interesting/amusing!

Kate, IBS-D.

#201618 - 08/02/05 04:49 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

All this info. is great, is there anyone who is IBS-D and used Beano religiously, without any problems??? And yes, unfortunately the pill form does have mannitol in them. I know I had been posting a while back about how discouraged I was getting and I have been on a strict diet of "safe foods" for the past month and I almost made it to the month mark, which I have never, ever done, and I started my period............I wonder now if that's why I can't get past 28 days of IBS free??? I wonder what I could do differently when it's going to happen, so I could get past that 28 mark, I would be sooooo happy. But I am very pleased I went 26 days attack free!!! Thanks all

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#201623 - 08/02/05 05:19 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't use Beano but I buy Generic Gas Relief Caps that are just Simethicone. I used to buy them at Walmart until I realized I can get them and Loperamide (Immodium) at Sam's Club in huge packages. It saves me alot of money because Beano and Phayzyme and all those others are expensive to take on a regular basis.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

I'm D and use it everyday, 2-3 X per day...nt new
      #201932 - 08/02/05 08:20 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review