All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
But your pretty darn close! new
      #201336 - 08/01/05 07:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And you remember a heck of lot more than I do about all the suggestions! You are one of the masters at finding her links!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking whilst eating.... new
      #201440 - 08/01/05 01:13 PM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

Thanks to all for comments. It seems to me that this topic largely falls under the category (yet once again for me) of learning to live with this IBS thing in general, trying to find what works for me and what doesn't.

it is very frustrating sometimes, because i'm trying to keep a healthy nutritional intake but i'm so afraid (literally afraid) of putting something in me that will upset my system. and the way the "world" is scheduled these days...i have no "time" for this.

so i hold back on putting things into my body with such trepidation.

but hopefully with time it'll get "easier" and i'll be able to eat and drink without such fear. i'm so thin too...5'11' and 129 pounds.

#201462 - 08/01/05 02:05 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't know what the science is or anything, all I know is that if I drink during a meal I'll *immediately* feel bloated and yuck. So I don't - but that's something I've done for longer than I've been (officially) dx'd with IBS, so it's not really from reading anything anywhere, just from knowing it will make me feel like crap! lol

So I suppose, once again, everyone's different on that one!

#201478 - 08/01/05 02:45 PM
Augie

Do you bloat if you drink while snacking on dried cereal or other smaller foods or just if you drink during a "meal". How long before eating do you stop drinking, and how long after eating do you wait before drinking?

Do you have the same "rules" for drinks with snacks as you do with meals?

I never drink with meals, but never thought about the snacks. I usually drink freely while consuming my snacks. Maybe not good? And I usually drink right up to eating and right after too. Maybe I'm sabotoging myself. It's just with all this constant eating/snacking, it's hard to get enough liquids in my body working it around the meals/snacks and not gulping it down to keep the timing safe.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: But your pretty darn close! new
      #201504 - 08/01/05 03:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks, Beth. You're very kind.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#201600 - 08/01/05 11:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

For me, anything more than a few bites of food + a drink = indigestion, cramps etc. So FOR ME, that goes for snacks too. But I mean, I feel this immediately. Drinking before a meal, provided I don't chug or anything, is usually just fine, even if I drink immediately before eating. However after a few bites, I can't usually drink anything for 30 minutes to an hour without getting really uncomfortable.

But I mean, like I said, that's just me. And also I know immediately if I drink something while I'm eating that I shouldn't have done that - it's going to cause me pain right then, not later on... so if you were just like me in this case Beth, you'd probably already know LIke I said, I don't know the science or anything so I don't know if it could affect you in the long run etc. even if it doesn't hurt right away

Re: Staying Hydrated new
      #201612 - 08/02/05 03:23 AM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

a lot of the time, it is just getting frustrating....because it seems like i can't do this whole thing of learning to adjust my diet and how i eat.

what is the point?

Re: I agree with Casey. new
      #201619 - 08/02/05 05:02 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I drink from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep and I too feel better, as a D, WITH LIQUID!!! I find, if I don't have liquid with my food, I get a tummy ache. Now, this doesn't necessarily have to be a HUGE amount, but fluid helps me digest my food!!! Maybe that's also why I love SOUPS/SMOOTHIES. If there's not enough fluid, I get a "charley horse" in my pipes or end up coughing/hacking the food up. There's nothing worse than dry guts. I do think that the fluid itself makes a difference. If you can't cook in it, then you shouldn't accompany it with eating. (Note, people do cook in teas of all kinds.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Staying Hydrated new
      #201674 - 08/02/05 07:08 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The point is that Heather's diet really can make you feel better. I'd say focus on the basic food ideas - high SF; low fat; cautiously adding in IF, fat, safe protein - first. Don't worry about fluids yet except to make sure you're getting enough. Get the basic idea down, see how you're doing, then fine tune it if necessary.

You can break it down even further. Do the Break The Cycle diet - you've got your SF. Start an SFS a little bit at first and go up slowly. Make sure you're getting fluid. Start adding IF, fat, safe protein one little tiny bit at a time. After a couple of weeks you've got a pretty healthy diet.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

You can't drink anything... new
      #201798 - 08/02/05 12:48 PM
Augie

for at least 30 to 60 minutes after you stop eating any amount of food?

Hmm, I may have to experiment with yet another aspect of my eating choices/procedure!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review