Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Anyone else with Type 1 Diabetes and IBS? *newbie here* new
      #201127 - 07/30/05 08:54 PM
Elfmaid

Reged: 07/29/05
Loc: Vancouver, BC CANADA

Quote:

I am soooo glad my info was helpful for you. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I kept telling myself, "hey, at least I'm not diabetic". Now...I'm diabetic!! Oh, the curves life throws us.

*rolls eyes in empathy* Oh man I HEAR you! bleh!

Quote:

I have this philosophy that whatever life throws at you was meant to be - for whatever reason - I am supposed to be experiencing these things in life. It is part of my life's grand master plan. So, I take these things (diabetes, IBS, losing a job, whatever...)as challenges to overcome. I digress...

Ah but it's a very GOOD digression. It just so happens I am of a similar philosophy, and despite the (scuse the pun) 'bellyaching' you see me doing here, I'm usually a very cheerful person who tries very hard to be nice to everyone and generally make the world a good place despite the challenges of daily existance. Health problems just happen to be one of the hurdles I get to try and dance over- I mean it wouldn't do to just plain jump[- oh no- I have to always be just a little different *rolls eyes and laughs*

Quote:

Anyway, I just noticed that you are from Canada - I heart Canadians. I had a roommate who was from Canada. I have found that Canadians are the nicest, most thoughtful and caring people I have ever met. Is there something in the water, or do your parents just raise exceptional people??

Woot! Well it just so happens I heart most Americans too, so at least you know the feeling is mutual! I'm not sure WHY we canucks are this way... or to be more realistic why MOST of us canucks are this way... maybe it's cause the weather tends to be so cruddy that the people have to be nice to each other to make up for it? (that's one of my pet theories anyways) LOL

Quote:

Hey, and I was very proud to see that you are Irish as well. ME TOO!! My mother's maiden name is Mckee. I named my daughter Quinnlan to try and keep a little Irish in the family name as my husband's last name (and mine now)is Stimson - not very Irish.

S'ok, I've met many Irishy folks who aren't Irish in heredity- name or no name, I think it's an attitude more than anything. ^_^ In actuality I'm a hybrid of english. irish, welsh, french, polish= Canadian... but with my stubborn streak I tend to see that more from the side that happens to be from Ireland *snicker* I'm also too laid back to be 'typical' anyways- but it's fun to wear knotwork jewellry and salute the side of family I KNOW the diabetes came from... :P

Quote:

I really really hope that you get to feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you!!!! Hey, any positive thinking and prayers etc are all appreciated and reciprocated! If today is any indication of how this recovery process is coming, I have real hope... things are settling down nicely and I'm looking forward to not dreading wandering off to the bathroom for the first time in years!

HUGZ! ^_^

--------------------
Part Irish and NOT thrilled about having celtic knotwork in my belly!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone else with Type 1 Diabetes and IBS? *newbie here* new
      #201226 - 07/31/05 03:27 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Howdy!

Well, my husband has type II diabetes, so we're trying to work towards a compromise diet. I believe that soluble fiber helps blood glucose more than insoluble fiber, so that's one way helping your diabetes will help your IBS.

Rye bread, barley, sweet potatoes (Heather has a nice roasted sweet potato salad in Eating For IBS), and broiled fish are all things that work well for both of us. There's not much compromise between us with fruit , but there a lot of veggies that are good for both of us. I'm guessing oatmeal would also work, although it hasn't been cold enough to make any since his diagnosis.

A lot of the IBS treats are as sugary as heck, but there's plenty of healthy foods that won't send you into shock. And hey, we shouldn't be snarfing down the sweet stuff anyway, right?

--AC

For Elfmaid: Good Unsweetened Teas new
      #202322 - 08/04/05 08:16 AM
Jocie

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: North Carolina

Hi, I just read through recent posts and saw yours. I wanted to let you know that I too have a thyroid problem and for awhile gave up all sweeteners before I found Splenda.

During that time I found two Celestial Seasonings teas that I could drink iced with no sweetner. The Black Cherry Berry and the Raspberry Green tea have no caffeine and are really good even without sugar!!!

My 9 yo daughter is the one with the IBS. She also is hypoglycemic, so we too are trying to manage her diet while balancing her blood sugar.

Though it is not as serious as diabetes, I can certainly understand the difficulty of finding foods to eat! If you find anything particularly helpful to you, I would love to hear it.

One positive note, I started my daughter on this diet 2 days ago and she is already feeling better.

Jocie

Diabetes Dilemma new
      #202366 - 08/04/05 09:50 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've had IBS for 47 years and on top of that I battle blood sugar problems. Diabetes is rampent in my family. I have been hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) for 22 years and am unable to tolerate sugar for about 20 years now. I get dizzy spells if I were to consume sugar so I gave it up probably about 10 years ago (except for a small quantity in the bagels and white bread I eat).

I totally sympathesize with the issue of the diverging diets -- Heather's diet (white flour, white rice, etc.) is not good if you have a blood sugar problem.

I guess the best thing to do is to speak to your doctor. Since I am not yet "officially" diabetic (I've been told I will eventually have Type II diabetes), I am not in the same immediate dire straits as you are.

I worry, though, about the day I am because Heather's diet has to come first for me ... I simply cannot function in pain and agony with my IBS. I just hope that there will be an effective IBS medication available on the market by the time I get diabetes so I can eat a diet better geared to controlling diabetes.

In the meantime, I try and keep fit and maintain a trim body weight (I'm battling a middle-aged tummy bulge right now!) to put off getting diabetes for as long as I can. Of course, part of the preventative measures for diabetes is to eat a diet with more whole foods (like whole wheat, brown rice, etc.) and stay away from refined foods that contain a lot of sugar like white flour, which I am unable to do because of my IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review