All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SAFE take-along protien
      #199996 - 07/27/05 11:27 AM
jgilory

Reged: 06/02/05

Does anyone have any thoughts about protien snacks?? I don't want to do the protien bar thing--too much other stuff in them. I want to have meals as simple as possible but not being able to eat a lot at once means i get to snack--problem is i am a person who is really sensitive to sugar/carbohydrates and my energy has plumetted since beginning the IBS diet. I excercize, get plenty of sleep etc. but not much protien--anyone have a good way to add it in like for snacks at work etc? Thanks!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SAFE take-along protien new
      #200031 - 07/27/05 12:08 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Protein that doesn't need refrigeration is a big hole for me, too, and I'd love any ideas anyone has.

I recently posted a recipe on the Recipe Board for peanut butter with it's oil drained off, but I haven't tried it yet and no one else has either. You can try just peanut butter (I haven't yet) but be very cautious about the oil and the "nutness".

I imagine you could buy a protein powder (or even just powdered eggs) and stir them into, say, an applesauce cup. Maybe? Doesn't sound very appetizing, does it?

Have you tried Luna Bars? They do have "other stuff" in them, but most people seem to tolerate them well and some of the flavors are good. Also, there was a post within the last week about Z Bars - California kid approved, but I don't remember how much protein they had.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#200036 - 07/27/05 12:16 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get soy desserts that don't need refridgerating, although they are usually quite high in sugar. I guess tuna sandwiches need chilling in the hot weather? I do fine with PB&J myself.

Soynuts? new
      #200049 - 07/27/05 12:40 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

If you can handle the fat. Personally, I'm near addicted to them!

--------------------

Re: Soynuts? new
      #200062 - 07/27/05 12:53 PM
jgilory

Thankfully my symptoms are not as severe as many that i have read of. I haven't tried Luna bars and I am trying to stay away from sugar as much as possible. I haven't had too much trouble with PB. I have also heard you can mix 1:1 PB and silk tofu--I did this a long time ago--its ok, defenitly not as "nutty" or strong as PB alone. Thanks for the ideas--has anyone tried Jerky of any sort??? I'm nervous and have also heard that protien is diffuclt to digest?

#200069 - 07/27/05 01:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are these soy protein drinks called Naked. I haven't tried them yet but they are on my internet grocery store site. I am ordering the chocolate one. It has 11g protein per serving. web page

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Soynuts? new
      #200075 - 07/27/05 01:27 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Somebody has mentioned turkey jerky on either this Board or the Recipe Board. You should be able to Search on jerky.

As long as I get SF before protein and stick to Heather's safe proteins, I'm fine. Some people on the Boards can even eat the safe proteins without SF beforehand. I suspect the proteins Heather disallows are the ones people mean when they say "protein is hard to digest".

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

jerky new
      #200088 - 07/27/05 01:44 PM
jgilory

I can't find anything on jerky on the boards...anyone tried turkey jerky??? thanks for all your thoughts.

turkey jerky... new
      #200362 - 07/28/05 09:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have a few local places that make it safely.. but if not- easy enough to spice and make with a dehydrator... there are times I live on this stuff... just make sure its made from turkey breast and not turkey legs or something!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Here's a link new
      #200369 - 07/28/05 09:44 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

turkey jerky

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review