Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bamagrl? new
      #211347 - 09/06/05 02:31 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I don't know why this is emailed as under a thread I started (I don't think I really understand how this msg. brd. stuff works, because I just got a whole lot of follow up email on a thread I started a long time ago), but I take Natrol Biobeads once a day. (........and loads of fiber morning, noon and night.) I find the fiber the most important thing! Acacia fiber in particular, although I am finding that Citracell works good too.

As far as the probiotic, you need to make sure it is stable and doesn't need to be refrigerated and doesn't dissolve until it hits your intestines. Stomach is not good. The benefits will be gone by the time it hit your intestines.

Sorry if I'm being repetitive, but I don't have the time to look through all the other responses and I got 6 emails to an old posting today.

Barb

Re: What does 5-htp do for tummies?-nt new
      #211466 - 09/07/05 06:18 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I take 5-htp for my PMS. It increases the amount of seratonin in the blood stream (similar effect but different method as a SRI drug like Prozac) and keeps me calmer. My PMS is off the charts, and I really don't want to take an antidepressant unless I have to. The 5-htp has helped tremendously (I take 100mg a day) with the PMS and my general stress level..which probably helps my IBS because stress is my biggest trigger!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thanks! new
      #211467 - 09/07/05 06:20 AM
bamagirl

Jarrodophilus is enteric coated and room stable just like the biobeads. Thanks for the good information though! It is important that your probiotic have those features for best effectivness!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Here's what saves my life: new
      #211547 - 09/07/05 11:32 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I take a really strong probiotic every day, and that cuts down on D,C and pain and bloating.That's my biggest lifesaver. I take an SFS every day if I can, and I am now using Maalox for GERD and gas. It has an anti gas and works fast. i love it.It's chewable too.

That's what i swear by. A few weeks ago, I was in the hospital because I didn't use this all. I'm back to GREAT with them now in my system. I can even get away with a bit of dairy without a massive D attack or agony. IF that doesn't say it works, I don't know what can.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Here's what saves my life: new
      #211692 - 09/08/05 06:57 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

I take a really strong probiotic every day, and that cuts down on D,C and pain and bloating.That's my biggest lifesaver. I take an SFS every day if I can, and I am now using Maalox for GERD and gas. It has an anti gas and works fast. i love it.It's chewable too.

What probiotic do you take?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: What does 5-htp do for tummies?-nt new
      #211755 - 09/08/05 10:40 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I did some studying on Zelnorm (and this is only what I could put together and what I personally have done). I hope this is of some use.

Zelnorm (the drug my Dr. wanted me to take at $$$/mo) has a lot to do with serotonin levels. 5-HTP is a precursor to Serotonin and helps make serotonin in your body. So after much research on the internet (do a Google search for 5-HTP information, which incidently is mostly info trying to sell products, so beware), I decided to try taking the 5-HTP mainly because of insomnia and high stress levels. 5-HTP is considered mainly for depression, aniety, sleep disorders in most of the research sites.

In my research I did run across one site (which I didn't bookmark and can't seem to find again) that mentioned 5-HTP in possible intestinal disorders but also said that not much research has been done in that area. But this would figure if you consider the formula of the drug Zelnorm.

So after taking 5-HTP for 3 mos. I settled on a dose of every other night. Every night makes me lose too much weight (another effect of 5-HTP). I stay pretty stable weight wise at this dose, at least at this point.

I'm still not real sure of the benefits or not, but overall I have been doing a whole lot better this summer. One site suggested 30 days for full results.

One site for a quick review of 5-HTP is http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/5htp_myth.htm

I asked my Dr. about 5-HTP, but I never got much of an answer. I would suggest discussing it with your Dr. or at least look into it on the web before you try it.

I am going to discontinure the use of it down the road a little, and see if I was just getting better through diet, etc., or if it has something to do with my well being.

Hope this is of some use,
Barb

Bamagrl?
      #213652 - 09/15/05 12:24 PM
Cyndy

Did you notice any difference when you stopped your digestive enzymes? Do you think they helped you...or at least in the beginning as you became stable?

Do you think you feel a difference now without them?

I just don't know if I should pay money for them if they don't do anything.

Thanks for your patience.

Does the Jarrow help your tummy as well as your sinuses?nt new
      #213653 - 09/15/05 12:25 PM
Cyndy

Re: Bamagrl? new
      #213657 - 09/15/05 12:38 PM
bamagirl

Not a problem! Enzymes were something I started at the exact same time as my probiotic. This was the only time I did two supplements at once. I found out about the conflict between my BC pills and enzymes at a female check-up so immediately left them off. I didn't notice a lot of difference at the time.

However, the other day, I ate something I shouldn't have (BBQ pork, stew and cole slaw...I was really bad!) and, of course, was really hurting later. I still have some enzymes on hand, so I took one thinking it might help digest the tons of meat I'd consumed. I think it helped. Sooooo, it is possible and probably was helpful and would continue to be helpful if I took them regularly. But right now the effectiveness of my BC pills outweighs my desire to take enzymes.

You can order quality enzymes from iherb.com rather inexpensively. That is where I bought mine. Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1009 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9263

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review