All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Recently diagnosed and new here
      #19941 - 09/08/03 03:14 PM
lyrae31

Reged: 08/29/03

I was recently diagnosed with IBS after spending a week in the hospital. The doctors solution has been to put me on Zelnorm. I wasn't given any meal plans, information regarding what to eat and what NOT to eat. It's two weeks later and I still feel like I'm dying a slow death.

Fortunetly, I found this website but still, I have little idea what will set-me off and what won't. I find I'm eating lots of sourdough bread,drinking miso soup and eating sushi.

I've lost 7 pounds already (that I really didn't need to loose).

I'm just wondering... is this normal? and is there light somewhere in this tunnel?

any comments or snide remarks will help at this point.
Just don't make me laugh to hard right now as my side is killing me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recently diagnosed and new here new
      #19942 - 09/08/03 03:23 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Welcome to the boards, Lyrae! Your doctor sounds exactly like mine - informed me I had IBS and basically shoo'ed me off, saying "let me know how it turns out." I strongly recommend buying Heather's books. Her diet definately helped get my IBS some-what under control.

Sushi is definately one of my favorite foods! I find I can eat pretty much anything, except my favorite: tamago. All the egg.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Do take the time to explore Heather's website and do buy her books as I still use them even though I've had them for 6 months now! This messageboard is also a great tool as I have gotten a lot of good information that has helped.

A couple basics for getting your IBS under control is figure out your trigger foods, exercise, drink lots of water, try to reduce stress, and fiber supplements.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19943 - 09/08/03 03:25 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board - I take it you are C since you are on Zelnorm? What kind of tests did they do while you were in the hospital and why did you end up in the hospital? Pain, severe?

Definitely start on a fiber supplement if you haven't already. Read through IBS Diet & Recipes. There is lots of great info there.

Let us know if you have any questions. We will try to help get you better ASAP.

#19950 - 09/08/03 04:51 PM
lyrae31

Well, I went to the ER with severe abdominal pain in the lower right quad about where the right ovary is. (But, I don't have one there.)

The ER doc tested me for ependicitis first sine, it's in the same area. All those tests came back normal. This was the beginning of my week long ordeal of being poked, prodded and well... let's just say they checked me out REAL good.

I had cat-scans, x-rays, oral and rectal contrasts, my back x-rayed to rule out any back problems. I got to drink that lovely 4 litres of stuff to clean me out and then got scoped. The scope looked clean so I got to drink the elmer's glue...yumm yumm..(they failed to tell me that my next few bm's would look like well...I won't explain further, I'm sure we have all seen that before.

Seven doctors and five days in the hosiptal later, it's IBS.
The strange thing is I'm neither C or D. I swing from both.

I did find a copy of The First Year IBS at 1/2 price books. I think it has helped some. That's where I got the idea to eat lots of sourdough bread and rice.

I plan on getting the other book once finances enable me to.

Thank you for your response and advice. I will no doubt spend many hours reading on here.

#19952 - 09/08/03 04:56 PM
lyrae31

Thank you for the advice. It's more than I got from the doctors.

Finding my trigger foods will be tricky since, I have food allergies too. As for reducing stress...that is so funny.
I'm work in advertising for a billion dollar company.

Since, alchohol is a no-no...I guess no more lunch-time screwdrivers...(that was a joke.)

I'm finding that trying to maintain a sence of humor has helped alot, that and smacking passer-byers with rubber-bands helps.

Well, I'm off to look over this wonderful place.

#19954 - 09/08/03 05:00 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Welcome! (I'm new, too!)

My doctor's wife has IBS, so he was a bit sympathetic to my concerns, but I still found medical treatment unsuccessful. Reading Heather's books was like finding the light at the end of a very dark tunnel, and they've made a world of difference. Those books are permanent fixtures in my kitchen and I still refer to them.

I know things are difficult now, but there is hope. I hope you feel better very, very soon.
Kristine

#19962 - 09/08/03 06:28 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You're welcome. You will find so much great info here, I promise.

Don't you just love those tests.... Anyway....

Well, if you're still not stable yet, check out Breaking the Cycle . Only stay on this for a couple of days! That's very important. Once you're feeling stable, you MUST start putting insoluble fiber back in your diet - always with the safe soluble base.

Again, if you haven't started on the fiber supplement yet, try it out. They help you feel so much better. If you're still having pain, try some strong peppermint tea if you can.

If you're able to, check out Eating for IBS at the library until you can buy it. It has so many great recipes.

Good luck!

#20020 - 09/09/03 08:11 AM
Jennifer Rose

Ick.. the elmer's glue test. That wouldn't be the Fluoroscopy would it? I have to take that this Friday again.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20025 - 09/09/03 08:44 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Lyrae,

Love your sense of humor. Veddy veddy dry, like mine. Hope that you're feeling better today. Trigger foods are tricky, but the Eating for IBS book should give you a great head start on figuring those out. I find that when I nail at least ten people daily with rubber bands I start to feel relief. Oh, and always remember to keep a positive attitude. It may not work all the time, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Here's for a laugh:

Two men were out fishing, when they found a lamp floating in the water. One of the men picked it up and rubbed it, causing a genie to explode from the lamp. Unfortunately, it was a very low-level genie and could only grant one wish. The men thought for a few minutes and then wished for the entire lake to be made of the best beer in the world.

With a poof! the wish was granted. All of a sudden, one of the men got really angry.

"Dammit! Now we have to piss in the boat!"

And another (one of my faves...)

A man and his wife are awoken at 3 o'clock in the morning by a knock on the door. The man gets up and goes to the door where a stranger is asking for a push.

"Not a chance" says the husband -- "It's three o'clock in the morning!" He closes the door and returns to bed.

"Who was it?" asks his wife.

"Just a stranger asking for a push" he answers.

"Did you help him? she asks.

"No I didn't -- it's three in the morning"

"Well you've got a short memory" says his wife, "Can't you remember about three months ago when we broke down on holiday and those two guys helped us?. I think you should help him."

The man does as he is told and returns to the front door and calls out into the dark "Hello -- are you still there?"

"Yes", comes the answer.

"Do you still want a push?" calls out the husband.

"Yes please!" comes the reply from the dark.

"Where are you?" asks the husband

"Over here on the swing" the man replies.

--------------------
~jules

#20049 - 09/09/03 10:14 AM
lyrae31

I'm not sure what they call it.
Its when you drink two big cups of white stuff that looks as thick as elmer glue but doesn't taste half bad. I did get a gold star on my i.v. bag for being the fastest drinker. Heck after 4 litres of that go-lite stuff two cups was a breeze.

Good luck on your test

#20050 - 09/09/03 10:16 AM
lyrae31

I'll try your suggestions except the peppermint tea. I gag if I even smell peppermint. (Bad experience with pepperment schnapps as a teenager).

Anyway thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

#20051 - 09/09/03 10:19 AM
lyrae31

omg...too funny...i even shared them with my co-workers...

I plan on getting the book hopefully in the next few weeks, unless I can find a used copy at our local 1/2 price books store.

Well, back to torturing the cat...(that's a joke incase any feline lovers read that)

#20055 - 09/09/03 10:34 AM
Jennifer Rose

Dang.. will you come drink the stuff for me on Friday? The nurse had to keep nagging me to drink mine. I thought it tasted like chalk. An Elmer's glue taste might not be that bad.. might take me back to my kindergarton years

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20062 - 09/09/03 11:59 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

welcome aboard,

sorry to say that, i wish i didn't have to say it at all.
i to am new as of yesterday. i also took the er trip after almost passing out in the stall with severe cramps and D after an hour. wish i could give some advice but i have none to give other than heather's books seem to be a pretty good start. i too hate peppermint actually all herbal teas. being one of the few guys here i guess not many of us like the teas. heather mentioned altoids/peppermint caps don't know if you can stomach them or not.
good luck in your new conquest. i'm hitting the grocery store tonight for the big haul and emptying out the triggers. gotta go cold turkey on this one or i'll lose my job.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

#20104 - 09/09/03 04:53 PM
lyrae31

thanks luke for the support...
i think i'm gonna have to go cold turkey myself...(i hear it tastes like chicken) that was a joke.
Yes, I'm fixing to leave work myself. I went to my primary dr today and at least she seemed a little more sympathetic.
but, she did have the technictian take some many vials of blood i'm surprised i'm still alive.

I know it will get better and it does help having this support from here. I want to say thanks to all of you!!!

#20133 - 09/09/03 08:33 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:

Finding my trigger foods will be tricky since, I have food allergies too.

We have other board members in the same boat, and some with gluten intolerances (which means a lot of common safe foods, such as bread, are out for them). Let us know what foods you're allergic to and we'll help you to find substitutions and new favorites, okay?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review