Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wellbutrin vs. Celexa
      #199139 - 07/25/05 12:40 PM
Denise

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Utah

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently taking celexa for both my IBS and depression, but I am so sick of the sexual side effects. I have heard that Wellburtin has a lower occurance of sexual side effects so I am tempted to make the switch. However, I am nervous about it because I believe it has a greater risk of constipation than Celexa, which I would be bad for me. Does anyone have any experience with Wellburtin? Any info about it's side effects would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much - Denise

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wellbutrin vs. Celexa new
      #199154 - 07/25/05 01:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sexual side effects are a common problem with a lot of the AD's. Personally, I found Wellbutrin to be one of the worse as far as lack of sex drive! I liked the lexapro, which is similiar to celexa the best! I'm currently on Zoloft because I'm also trying to get pregnant. Everyone responds differently so DO talk to your dr about trying a different one!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#199157 - 07/25/05 01:16 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Wellbutrin is the only AD I have ever taken, and I was very happy with it until recently. (I'm currently having some symptoms that might or might not be related to it.) I don't really know what sexual side effects are like on other ADs, but the only thing I have found with Wellbutrin is that it's a bit harder for me to have an O. It doesn't hinder me from getting "in the mood," though.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#199173 - 07/25/05 01:37 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about 4 months now. For about the first 3 weeks, my constipation was completely gone!! I was having movements 2 to 3 times daily!! It was great. Buut, that all disappeared abruptly. My constipation came back with a vengeance. I was not taking Wellbutrin for IBS though. There were no sexual side effects for me ... and I also lost about 8lbs. I am actually in the process of weaning myself off of Wellbutrin now, due to the fact that it just isnt working. Increased sex drive is actually one of the main things Wellbutrin is known for ... weight loss is as well. This is a great website for comments about wellbutrin from other people http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=18644&name=WELLBUTRIN My side effects were very mild .. which is RARE for me. I have never had an AD that didn't make me feel horribly loopy and detached. I think its worth a shot ... just be extra cautious about the constipation, b/c it definitely did make mine much worse.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!

IBS-Chelsea

My experience new
      #199178 - 07/25/05 01:46 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Wellbutrin was the beginning of my constipation problems. I had never had C until I started taking it. And the longer I took it, the worse it got!

But everyone's different!

#199197 - 07/25/05 02:13 PM
MMN

Michele,
Do you find that zoloft helps you with your regularity?

#199210 - 07/25/05 02:31 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

No, I wouldn't say any of the AD's I've ever tried have helped with my regularity. Some do have C or D as a side effect so if you lean one way or the other, thats something you'll want to check first! I mean, the AD's make me feel better over all and less anxious which I guess must help keep things regular in a round about way!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#199228 - 07/25/05 02:56 PM
Denise

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Utah

Hi Chelsa,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me and for the website. I'm going to check it out right now. You said that you are winging yourself off wellbutrin. Are you planning on trying anything else or have you tried anything else? I'm just so frustrated. I hate having no sex drive...no desire, inability to orgasm, etc, but I hate feeling down and irritable all of the time too. It feels like a no-win situation.

#199345 - 07/26/05 05:53 AM
MMN

Thanks.

#199357 - 07/26/05 06:32 AM
crew

I know exactly how you feel! Switching from AD to AD is frustrating enough even without all of the unwanted side effects. I hate the fact that I can't just be *happy* on my own. I am going to switch to something else .. but I don't know what yet. I need to make a trip to the doctor's. My psychologist actually suggested maybe pairing a small dose of the wellbutrin with an SSRI. Since I felt so great for those few weeks, my body obviously responded to the uptake in serotonin, so she thinks it would be a good idea to keep that in the mix. As far as what I have tried .. I started out with Paxil and it made me feel funny. So did Lexapro. BUT .. I am sooo sensitive to medicines like that, for the most part, I think people handle them alright. If sex drive is what you are wanting, I really do think Wellbutrin would be a good try. On that link that I gave you, almost EVERY person reported a dramatic increase in sex drive .. sounds like a winner! Let me know what you decide to do!! Good luck, I know all of this can be so discouraging, I'm in the same boat as you.

Feel free to email me whenever! eepyourcute@yahoo.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2788 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2016

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review