All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Digestive Bitters, teas, general rant!
      #19913 - 09/08/03 11:12 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I've been feeling BLAH for the past couple of days. EVERYTHING that went into my tummy caused bloating, gas, etc. I'm really getting sick of this!! Anyway, I pulled the 'ol Sweetish Bitters out from my cupboard and took a serving in a cocktail of 1/2t sugar and about 2oz warm water about 20 mins before each meal. I've been hitting the teas (peppermint and chamomile) fairly hard lately and ...OMG! I feel good (almost great!) today.

I've re-committed myself to this diet because the scale has crept up seven (yes, SEVEN!) pounds because I've been using the diet as an excuse to eat bread ALL THE TIME! I've eaten past the feeling of full-ness more times than I care to remember, which has not done me much good.

I remember reading a poll a while back asking if we 'cheated' on this diet. I answered that no way in heck would I cheat, and that the after-effects were not worth it. Well, I've cheated. I've even cheated on my original cheat. I've eaten a spoolful of ice cream here, and a whole bowl all the way over there. Handfuls of peanuts find themselves crunched between my jaws. What-in-the-heck-was-I-thinking-buying-popcorn?!?! (mmmm, but the caramel corn was guuuuuuuuuudddd). Pizza? Sure!! Let's finish off that meal with some more .... you guessed it! Ice Cream!

Bad Jules! Bad!

On a positive note, my bf and I have been doing great with the Pilates/Yoga workouts, doing at least one or the other for at least four days a week. Go us!

Hope all is well!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Digestive Bitters, teas, general rant! new
      #19948 - 09/08/03 04:09 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Jules - glad to see you are human! Welcome back on the wagon!

Glad you are feeling better. Keep up the good work.

#19963 - 09/08/03 06:32 PM
ocafe

Reged: 09/06/03
Loc: Miami, Florida

Been there, done that. I kid you not, when I first starting eating for IBS (about 3 years ago) I lost 30 lbs. I was feeling great. I don't just mean buying smaller clothes either, I mean I could walk up stairs without breathing hard, I could climb the big slide with my kids at the playground. Then...I found myself in a new position at work that caused me less stress and that's when it all started. I started "cheating". Eating things I knew I should not be eating, and regreting it later. And of course little by little the weight came back on and I was back to where I started. And to top it off this summer (since I wasn't working, I work at a school)I ate way too much ice cream and gained an additional 15 lbs. I'm at my highest weight now & it doesn't feel great at all. I'm sorry I've gone off in my on thing here, but just to let you know, you are not alone. And, we can get back on the wagon! Good luck!!

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!
18 more to reach my short term goal!

#19999 - 09/09/03 05:24 AM
jules

Thanks for your responses. I've made it a goal to lose five pounds by the end of this month. I'm going on vacation over Thanksgiving with my family and I don't want to have to look back at "fat pictures" of that trip. I did that once before, and it isn't fun.

Here's to starting over!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~jules

#20015 - 09/09/03 07:21 AM
Ashley62

Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada

Hi Jules - I haven't been checking the board for a few weeks, between school starting for my kids, hockey, Brownies, courses, back to school shopping, lunches..... I've been rather stressed and depressed lately So of course my IBS gets.... worse!! I've also been "sneaking" spoonfuls of ice cream, pieces of cheese, pizza, wine etc... feeling a little sorry for myself (I also need to lose about 5 pounds!) and thinking "why shouldn't I cheat - I feel lousy anyway?!"
It was nice to read your post and see you want to get back on the wagon - well, I'm going to join you on that wagon!
I have my large water bottle on my desk and am going to the gym at lunch today!
- and no more ice cream!(summer is essentially over anyway!)
Thanks for the inspiration

--------------------
Leah
"Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul"

#20018 - 09/09/03 07:32 AM
jules

Thanks for joining me! I feel great today, and am on my second cup of tea and second cup of water. I feel best when I get my water in (all 70 ounces). I must've gained a TON of water weight due to my period, cuz I've already lost those five pounds (what the heck!?) that I was talking about. But, I'm still five up from when I started this diet and am still committed to losing that by the end of the month.

By the way, in leiu of ice cream, my fave is two sheets of crushed lo-fat graham crackers sprinkled over any flavor of Edy's Sorbet (my fave is strawberry). Heaven!!

Here's to jumping on the wagon and fastening our seatbelts this time. I'm going to get a concussion from falling off so much!

--------------------
~jules

Re: "Cheats" new
      #20664 - 09/14/03 06:13 AM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

Jules, the most important thing anyone has every told me is that you have to live your life - be aware of what's good and bad for you, yes, but if you spend all your time feeling "deprived" you won't be happy. Sometimes you have to cheat, even if it does have a negative result... for example, I had the most divine slice of Mississippi Mud Pie on my birthday - I knew it would cause an attack, and it did, but dammit that was my birthday present to me! Kind of like the hangover from a night of drinking (past life, for me) - you feel the pain but you know why it's there and it was your choice. Don't beat yourself up for a "cheat" or you're defeating the whole point!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2051 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 898

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review