All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tired of Being Sick
      #198528 - 07/22/05 09:18 AM
vcarter410

Reged: 07/22/05

I am so tired of being sick. I have not been diagnosed with IBS, but I have been going through bowel changes since JHS. I was unable to eat breakfast in the mornings, If I did, I would be guaranteed to be sick allll day. It seems like if I eat the wrong thing on Monday, I wont get back together for two whole weeks! I hate it. I can no longer function. I take pain killers and gas-x by the mouthful. I wake up at night with so much pain in my gut that all I can do is to pray for release and grab my painkillers (which are almost always at my bedside). I cant eat or drink when I am sick and it always feels as though I am fatter during this sick time due to bloating. I went to the IBS.com website and found many foods that I do and dont eat anymore due to pain and bloating. However, I have seen no medicines to relieve me of this pain. It actually takes over my life, my stomach is constantly growling, but not from hunger. It feels like a monster lives within me just waiting to strike if I dare eat anything. Please someone help! Are there any medications out there to help? I have had a colonoscopy and he found nothing. Of course, there was nothing in my stomach for two days to trigger anything. I have had tests done on my specimens and still, nothing. I am beginning to think I am crazy. Can this disease go undetected and if so, why?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired of Being Sick new
      #198592 - 07/22/05 12:07 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There is no test for IBS as it's a functional disorder, so if you've had all the neccessary tests and they came back negative then you've got IBS.

Read the diet guidelines and do a search on meds.

#198596 - 07/22/05 12:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It seems strange you don't have any diagnosis at all. Does your doctor place any label on what's wrong with you? Is pain your only symptom or do you also have diarrhea, constipation, or both?

There are medications for IBS, but their effectiveness is limited and which one you take depends to some extent on what your predominant symptom is. Also, the prescription ones really are going to require a diagnosis. You can take a quick look at some info here.

I agree that pain killers are unlikely to help with IBS and will probably hurt - most painkillers have some type of effect on the gut. I also agree that Heather's diet, SFS, and herbal teas are a great place to start while you try to get a definitive diagnosis. They've done for me than any of the meds I've tried.

I'd really suggest you read Heather's book "The First Year - IBS". It provides an explanation of what IBS is and - most important for you - it explains what tests you should have and conditions you should rule out before being diagnosed with IBS. You may be able to find the book at your library or you can order the book from this Website or get it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. A big chunk of the book - the part that deals with diagnosis and diet - is available on-line here.

BTW, the fact that there was nothing in your colon to "trigger" an attack during your colonoscopy doesn't mean the finding of nothing wrong was invalid. A colonoscopy just looks for changes in the lining or structure of the gut itself. That's why it has to be empty. I believe there are other tests that can look for abnormal colon contractions and/or transit time, but I don't think you'd need any of those to get a diagnosis of IBS.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198697 - 07/22/05 05:07 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I am relatively new around here (2 months) and I can relate to your complaints. Not sure if you have diarrhea or constipation. At the time I found this website I was convinced that the only relief I would ever have from the constant D, gas, bloating, pain and bowel pressure was a colostomy. I had all intentions of making a surgical appointment to investigate that route. But my life had such a change for the better when I began this diet and supplements. Within 2 days I felt relief from the pain and pressure. It's taken more time to get stable but my life doesn't seem to center around being tied to the house from constant gas and D. My life has been given back to me. I know that this doesn't mean I'll never have bad days but it is exactly that "bad days" not life crippling problems. Good luck and listen to what the experienced people on this board have to say.......it can get better.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#199111 - 07/25/05 11:59 AM
vcarter410

I take all kinds of pain killers, advil, ibuprofen 800 mg. Also, gas-x, immodium, rolaids, tums whatever to make the pain go away. I am bloated mostly and have D sometimes I just expel mucous. At the times when I am Const. I am in relief because I dont go to the bathroom.

#199112 - 07/25/05 12:01 PM
vcarter410

I have had the colonoscopy, and my stools have been tested. Nothing comes about. I know that I have to have IBS because I can relate to all the symptoms and complaints that everyone on the boards are feeling. I have to have a tube stuck in my throat next. Maybe something will come from that.

#199127 - 07/25/05 12:17 PM
Sand

I assume you're talking about an endoscopy. You really do need to get a firm diagnosis and hopefully your doctor will give you one after he completes his tests.

From your response to someone else's post, it sounds like you're IBS-A, tending toward D, with bloating. My advice is still the same: read Heather's "The First Year - IBS" so you understand what IBS is and to make sure your doctors have done all the necessary tests to rule out other conditions (including gynecological if you're female). Once you understand what Heather is saying, I don't see any reason you can't start her diet and SFS. If you do turn out to have IBS you'll be ahead of the game. And check out Heather's information about herbal teas. Many people find fennel very helpful for bloating.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#199837 - 07/27/05 08:39 AM
vcarter410

That kind of scares me, gynecological issues I mean. I have had a pap done recently that turned out almost okay. I read somewhere where gynecological problems could also cause what I am going through too. My doctor ruled out Crohn's disease because I wasnt losing weight. But there is always a nagging in my stomach. It is always rumbling hungry or not, a cramp across the mid-section and gas like crazy. I guess I really need to get some kind of diagnosis just to make me feel better about what is going on with me. I hate not knowing what is wrong with me, it leads me to no cure.

#199875 - 07/27/05 09:18 AM
Sand

If you had a Pap recently, your gyno should also have checked for ovarian cancer. If you're not sure she did - or you just need positive reassurance - call the office, explain your symptoms, say you're scared it might be ovarian cancer related, and ask for a call back stating definitely that your gyno checked for ovarian cancer.

And, yes, your doctor should be able to give you a diagnosis, even if it's an exclusion diagnosis like IBS. But I still think you can give Heather's diet and an SFS a try and see if you get some relief. As for the gnawing, try eating early, small, SF, and often.

HTH.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1939 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review