Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
My sourdough doesn't have milk in it new
      #198606 - 07/22/05 12:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Did the one you ate have it in it?
What are you substituting for your oatmeal? Do you have the same problem with dry oat cereal?

I'm going to try skipping the oatmeal a day or two without changing anything else. It's weird because before I went on the gluten free diet, I had oatmeal every day and I was perfectly fine...so I don't know why it would be a problem now.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Maria new
      #198609 - 07/22/05 12:35 PM
Augie

What bread do you eat if you can't eat sourdough or yeast? The reason I decided on the sourdough bread is because I found one at Whole foods that they make without yeast! So, I was excited about that. I thought it would be my safest choice into the world of gluten food....along with the oatmeal!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: My sourdough doesn't have milk in it new
      #198701 - 07/22/05 05:46 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I've had a hard time finding one that doesn't. I'm sure they are out there, just haven't looked real hard. I'm not sure about the dry cereal because I usually would snack on it later in the day anyway(after I was already being infected with the stink bomb), I'll have to try it though. You know, it's funny, it seems like I am way more sensitive to many more things than I was a year ago. It seems like something I thought I could tolerate before, is completely unacceptable now.:( Maybe after you eliminated all the gluten, your body became happy and now that you are trying to bring it back, it's trying to tell you not to. Just a thought. But really, who knows what our bodies are trying to tell us at any given moment. With IBS, my body is definitely fickle.

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Whole Foods bakery new
      #198704 - 07/22/05 06:28 PM
Augie

There is a bakery at Whole foods and none of their sourdough contain dairy. Not sure about French Bread. Maybe I'll try that instead. Or, maybe I'll just go back to gluten free...I'll give it a few weeks at least though before giving up.

I wonder how you would do on the dairy free sourdough? Might be worth trying! It's hard to tell if the body is reacting to the gluten like it does to SFS...maybe you have to ease into it until the body eventually adjusts. Or maybe you lose your ability to digest something after abstaining from it for so long. Problem is, don't know if it is temporary, permanent, or if I really do need to be gluten free even though I wasn't feeling well on it either...but not this smelly gas!

Yeah, I usually snack on the Oat dry cereal later in the day too, after the Oatmeal...so it's hard to tell if the dry cereal is a problem..For that matter, who knows if it's the Oatmeal. Like Laurel said, maybe it's the egg whites...or the sourdough and I'm just picking on the poor innocent oatmeal! But the gas usually starts in the morning before the other stuff.

Oy, IBS sucks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: What does the gas smell like? new
      #198706 - 07/22/05 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth:

What does the gas smell like? Can you describe the odour, s.v.p.?

Hydrogen sulfide is a noxious gas which can be produced by yeasts during fermentation. You've got a lot of new sugar molecules in your colon with the addition of so many new foods! Your stomach must be dazed with releasing new enzymes and juices to digest all this reintroduced food.
What a pot pourri of polysaccharides in that gi tract of yours!!! Also, are there any root veggies in there--roots tend to have a lot of nitrogen!

Kate, IBS-D. (former "Blue Angel")

Re: Maria new
      #198707 - 07/22/05 06:43 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sort of embarrassed bringing up the sourdough and yeast thing because I know yeast isn't a trigger for IBSers and I don't want to keep anyone from enjoying sourdough bread. But I'm pretty sure it's a trigger for me: I can only eat about two slices of French bread a day (which does contain yeast), but if I eat more than three slices I will have cramping. And, if I eat even more of it, I will have a D attack. Guaranteed. It happens every time, which is why I'm always confused when people say bread constipates them--I've never had that problem w/ bread.

I have been tested for celiac (blood tests) several times, but I don't have it. Plus, I don't have the D or cramping with pasta or quick breads. So, that's how I came to the yeast conclusion.

I need to get to a Whole Foods fast! I bought myself a little cooler, so when I finally make the trip I'll be ready!

Are you doing any better with the gas problem today? I noticed you've been eating blueberries and flax with your cereal. Has this been making things worse? Maybe it's too early to tell.

Take care, Beth!

It stinks! new
      #198716 - 07/22/05 07:03 PM
Augie

Hard to describe an odor...maybe rotten eggs? But I've never really smelled rotten eggs,but my gas is what I'd assume they would smell like.

I'm not eating any yeast. Only yeast free sourdough and spelt and no yeast in oatmeal or cereal.

What is a polysaccharide? I'm not eating that much sugar...just a few spoons of sorbet and one piece of ginger chew a day.

I eat lots of root veggies...like everyday. One day I eat a soup made of pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potato and parsnip. The alternate days I eat pureed pumpkin or baked squash for dinner. But Heather says these are the easiest Veggies to tolerate.

I think they should perfectly safe and they are not crucifous veggies.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Maria new
      #198721 - 07/22/05 07:19 PM
Augie

There are other people on the board who have a problem with yeast...so you are not alone Maria. It is good to let people know...it may help them to identify something that is a problem for them that they would have never considered otherwise!

It sounds like maybe you would be okay with the sourdough if it was yeast free, and that it is not the Sourdough part that is the problem if you get the same reaction to French bread.

Sounds like you are still eating these breads, just limited amounts?

Yes, I have recently added blueberries to breakfast (cooked and and chopped up first), but the flax is not new. Maybe it is too early to tell? I had both of these this morning along with the oatmeal and the gas was not as bad as it has been. So, maybe it is something else. Who knows what though. I am not that good of a detective. It could also be a supplement or a tea I am taking...like dandelion or licorice root tea, or my fish oil capsules. Or maybe the gas was better because I skipped my night snack yesterday (as I now munch down on some mango) or because I didn't have any sourdough or eggwhites, zucchin (which I have been eating a lot of lately) or cold oat cereal.

Just too many options to eliminate!

Thanks for the support Maria. You're such a sweetie!

--------------------
~ Beth

Alyson, maybe it's the peach? new
      #198730 - 07/22/05 08:11 PM
Augie

This just came to mind...peaches have a lot of natural fructose and sorbitol and these can be difficult to digest. Maybe if you had the oatmeal plain or with a different fruit it would be okay!

Just a thought.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: It stinks! new
      #198740 - 07/22/05 08:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Polysaccharides are sugar molecules, i.e. glucose, fructcose, sucrose. All carbohydrates contain these--not just plain old table sugar! (not just fruits and veggies, but grains, too.)

Hmmm...rotten eggs? Sounds like hydrogen sulfide. Something is fermenting in there! The reason I asked about the yeasts was because I was thinking of wine making and sugar alcohols, that's all. Honestly, Beth--I think it's all of the above! You've got an assortment of "gases" inside of you. Are you consuming any carbonated beverages, per chance? You know, Beth--that's really nasty gas. I can understand your distress. If it were me, I'd be disturbed too. (Sorry--but thank goodness we're not trapped in a car without a/c on a hot day and all the windows rolled up.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 641 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22474

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review