All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating the last meal/snack of the day
      #198135 - 07/21/05 08:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What time do you guys eat dinner and what time do you eat your last snack of the night? Does anyone else notice that eating a night snack after dinner worsens the next days BM situation? Or that a later dinner has any effect on the bowels the next morning?

I was wondering if constipation is made worse by eating a nightly snack or a later dinner. Maybe my constipation would do better if I stopped eating after a certain hour before going to sleep so the food gets digested and goes through the bowels better, thus producing a better chance of having a BM?

Any C folks notice this?

Thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmm...interesting.... new
      #198160 - 07/21/05 09:09 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

since I have noticed one of my major problems, which I could easily control if I had any kind of will power, is eating too much at dinner. Breakfast and lunch, I am healthy, and eat good, and all that. But at dinner---it's not even unhealthy food necessarily, just TOO much of it. And that definitely causes more bloating, gas etc. Not sure how much of an effect it's had on my BMs the next day...I tend to eat late (around 8 usually) and when I'm stable (as I have been for the most part for the last few weeks) I go in the morning before work or after I get to work. I don't think it makes me more C....
BUT, I think that's because I've been doing good with my fiber supplement. But I've decided to stop eating so much at dinner to alleviate other symptoms like gas and bloating. (and general discomfort). I can't really eat earlier, usually, because my husband gets home afer me, and we sometimes go for a run, but I'm going to try to eat less, so I'm not so stuffed anymore, and see if that helps.

--------------------

I'm not a C'er, but.... new
      #198172 - 07/21/05 09:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't noticed my BMs affected by nightly meals at all. I eat dinner between 8 and 9pm and if I'm having dessert, I usually have it around 11pm. Then I'm asleep around 1am. But I've been known to snack and then fall asleep for the night like 10 minutes later.

The only meals that seem to affect my bowel activity are the morning ones.

Re: Hmm...interesting.... new
      #198178 - 07/21/05 09:30 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I have been doing better since I have been eating a half a bagel at night. I can't fall asleep hungry. Since I have been doing that I haven't had a bad attack.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Eating the last meal/snack of the day new
      #198197 - 07/21/05 10:05 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Beth... I'm also not a C, but I DO notice that my last meal affects the next day very much. However, probably not in the same way... if find that if I DON'T eat right before going to bed my stomach is so empty when I wake up that it's an attack (spasms) waiting to happen - by that I mean D for me, but since C is also caused by spasms...?

Every night before bed I have some applesauce or a slice of bread or an english muffin or something - an all-SF snack. And then I have another one as soon as I get up. That seems to keep me stable in the mornings, and mornings are usually the WORST for me. But again, I'm not a C... hope that's semi-helpful

#198203 - 07/21/05 10:26 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I usually eat around 7:30 and a lot of times will have a snack before bed. As long as I eat "safe" stuff, I don't notice it affecting my bm's the next day at all. If I let tummy get too empty though, I do get worse spasms so I'd be careful about not eating for too long of a period!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Laurel, confused new
      #198221 - 07/21/05 11:16 AM
Augie

Are you suggesting that since you are a D that the food at night helps you to not have a D the next day, so I should probably not eat the snack? Or are you saying that if I ate it would be better since C is also caused by internal spasms and that having something in my tummy before bed would help the C?

I know this is just your thoughts and you give no guarantees, but I respect everyone's opinions very much. You guys are a wise bunch!

--------------------
~ Beth

#198224 - 07/21/05 11:19 AM
Augie

I usually eat dinner at 7 and then have a snack at 9! Only an hour or a little more after eating dinner...then go to bed at 10. Maybe this is too much food at night. But since it doesn't seem to effect your BMs, maybe it's only a discomfort annoyance.

Ginger, how many Benefiber tablets are you up to now? Do you take them all throughout the day or only at a specific time of day? I'm going to try another SFS...yet again!

--------------------
~ Beth

#198228 - 07/21/05 11:29 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I usually end up with D in the morning after I eat breakfast IF I had eaten right before bed. Cereal was the worst for that.

Re: I'm not a C'er, but.... new
      #198230 - 07/21/05 11:31 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

ah ha! i noticed in the morning my bm's are better if i don't eat right before bed. but it's eating in the morning that triggers what u ate the night before.

#198236 - 07/21/05 11:55 AM
epa_ginger

I'm up to three tablets, three times a day, And I generally take them with breakfast, lunch and dinner. I might bump up to 4 next week. (I think the max is 18 or something). It's just working so well, I can't believe it. Too bad they aren't cheap! I Don't care though, it's so so worth it. Good luck to you on finding another SFS---I think that's a big key to everyone's problem is finding the SFS that works best for you.
I don't necessarily think eating late is "bad" for a person, but for people like us with delicate systems, maybe it is. For me, just being over full causes problems. And then laying down. You know?
Do you snack because you're still hungry??

--------------------

#198241 - 07/21/05 12:18 PM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

I have the same problem...i'm usually good throughout the day for breakfast and lunch (except these past few days i've been eating way too much at breakfast...who knows why) and then nighttime rolls around and i either eat too much at dinner or snack too much, and too late, afterwards. i need to stop this awful habit because it causes me much pain. i try to tell myself the extra food isn't worth it, but it's just so hard! i told my boyfriend to really keep an eye on me at night and make sure i dont eat too much so hopefully that will help me.

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Yep! new
      #198253 - 07/21/05 12:57 PM
epa_ginger

that's my problem too. It's like I think I need to eat as much as my husband does, who eats a lot at dinner because he doesn't always have lunch and breakfast. And he's always saying "have more". And sometimes you don't feel full right away and then you think "Ok, it tastes good" and then later you regret it. I HATE that I do that. I'm going to try to really focus when I eat dinner from now on. Take small portions, and NO seconds!

--------------------

#198263 - 07/21/05 01:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ditto to what Retrograde explicated. I'll have a big attack if I don't nibble some sf before bed--even just some applesauce or an extra small (dwarf) banana or some carrots.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Oh, I just eat all day long!!! new
      #198264 - 07/21/05 01:57 PM
Wind

Honestly, when I graze--eat like a hobbit--my body doesn't get a "dump" of food to deal with! More than half the time I can't finish dinner, so I just divide it up in courses and sometimes finish it later, or have something else! (I get these late night carrot fixes!)(Maybe because it's dark?!!!)

Honestly, if I don't graze--eat something before bed I feel terrible and my gastrocolic reflex feels like a bungy cord.
I think there's a rhythm to this whole D/C/A thing as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

I think you're right... new
      #198272 - 07/21/05 02:24 PM
epa_ginger

since it seems like more D people need that SF before bed, and consider their mornings their worst times. I'm the total opposite. I usually wake up happy, feeling good, and flat tummied! (it never lasts). And I practically always wake up semi-hungry. My mom says I get that from my dad (who will wake up in the middle of the night, and thus keeps crackers and water by his bed). I hope I don't get to that point!!
During the day I graze I suppose, because I have "scheduled" snacks, and keep the meals themselves smaller. But I get home and all heck breaks loose! But I'm working on it....

--------------------

I wake up with gas new
      #198274 - 07/21/05 02:32 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Do you have morning gas if you eat too late? Do you now think that only D need to eat at night and that for us C folks it may do more harm to eat more at night? I generally eat dinner and a snack before bed. Is this too much? Is it increasing my C and gas for the next day do you think? Or just making my nights more bloated?

Thanks all

#198281 - 07/21/05 02:50 PM
MMN

Reged: 06/24/05

Do you know what? I've definitely noticed this. I've also noticed that the size of the meal has a lot to do with it. I can't eat late, and I can't have a big meal. I'm a big time c'r, and that definitely has something to do with it.

Re: I think you're right... new
      #198325 - 07/21/05 04:33 PM
Wind

It's probably a psychological habit re: the all hell that breaks loose when you return home. I know a lot of people that start eating when they walk in the house, or have the habit of energy loading/eating more as soon as they get home--that ravenous, hungry bear syndrome. Plus, you get to spend time with your mate and there is a certain ritual bonding associated with sharing meals/food, etc.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Laurel, confused new
      #198344 - 07/21/05 05:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

My thoughts were going towards the spasms. I know that if I let my stomach get empty, that causes spasms - for me anyway. And since while I'm sleeping my stomach is probably empty for the longest period all day, I'm particularly sensitive in the mornings. So I just try to close that gap as much as I can by eating right before I go to bed.

I never get C and I don't really know much about it at all - so do take my advice with a grain of salt! Just my personal experience

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2616

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review