All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can anyone tolerate dairy!
      #198059 - 07/21/05 06:02 AM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

I'm curious if anyone can tolerate dairy, I am thinking about trying to eat yougurt again. I had a severe sinus infection and the doctor put me on Augmentum but I came down with the diarreha pretty bad and they suggested eating yogurt to put in some good bacteria. But I haven't eaten dairy in so long I'm afraid to try it again. It's strange but I get diarreha from eating things like Rice Dream and drinking Rice Milk. I have tried the soy things but they give me so much gas that they are really hard to tolerate. I am also gluten intolerant so I really watch the glulten products. I have never taken a probiotic and I would not even know where to start looking, but I would like to take a chance on the dairy and was wondering if anybody out there can tolerate small amount. I also tried the soy yogurt and it was awful, it also made me feel bad it might have something to do with the natrural estrogen that soy has and the fact that I have to take hormone replacement pills. I'm not sure just a thought. Hope everyone has a nice day.
Cheryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can anyone tolerate dairy! new
      #198073 - 07/21/05 06:46 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Don't chance it when you are this unstable. Go to the pharmacy and ask for a probitotic supplement, not dairy-derived, and preferably the kind that is kept in the fridge. Maybe in several months when you are really stable you can try to have a bite of yogurt now and then, but it is dairy and therefore a potential trigger.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#198083 - 07/21/05 07:04 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I can tolerate some dairy, in my coffee, and I can actually have pizza. But I cannot have heavy dairly like cheesecake or Fettucine Alfredo

--------------------

#198092 - 07/21/05 07:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm with AmandaPanda. Dairy is a trigger, so why risk it when you can try a probiotic first? If you Search on probiotic with no time limit, you'll get tons of hits. In fact, I just posted something about a probiotic my GI guy recommended this morning and in the same thread Kandee (who knows all) gives the name of her probiotic.

If you do decide to try dairy yogurt, take Lactaid beforehand. It won't protect you from having your IBS triggered by the milk proteins, but it will help keep the lactose from making things worse.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198123 - 07/21/05 08:20 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Not to contradict you, but I don't think taking lactaid before eating yogurt would make a difference. Yogurt has almost no lactose, because it is all broken down as it cooks (don't ask me about the science on this, but do a search for ecmmbm's posts and there is something in there). Mostly the problem in yogurt would be the casein and whey, and I don't think there's anything to take for that, preventatively.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#198125 - 07/21/05 08:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Why don't you try a probiotic, instead?

Kate, IBS-D.

Lactose and yogurt new
      #198355 - 07/21/05 06:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Okay, ISOT: yogurt, Diet Board only, no time limit. I found a handful of post's by ecmmbm, but the only one that seemed relevant was this one and it doesn't really go into any detail. (I assume the post you're talking about is on another Board, but I just wasn't up to doing a Search for "yogurt" on the Recipe Board - I was afraid I'd be buried in hits.)

So I did a Google search on yogurt+lactose. What I got out of the quick reading I did was that yogurt usually doesn't have much lactose. I also found an article that said yogurt may actually be good for people who are lactose intolerant since the bacteria in yogurt actually digest lactose.

I still think I'd take the Lactaid. The Web articles used words like "usually" and "much", so I'd always worry there was a little lactose left. And, like you, I don't know of anything to take that can neutralize the IBS problems caused by dairy proteins like whey and casein. Given that, if I were going to do something as IBS-icidal for me as eating yogurt, I'd want to make absolutely certain I didn't have to worry about the lactose at all - the proteins would be more than enough to deal with.

And please don't ever worry about contradicting me. How else will I learn I'm mistaken? Or as someone (Mark Twain? Josh Billings?) said (roughly): It's not what a man doesn't know that makes him a damn fool. It's what he does know that just ain't so.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198424 - 07/22/05 04:59 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Stonyfield Farm O'Soy yogurt works great for me. I used it while on pain medicine. I use the Silk plain soy milk and the choc, really yummy. I can handle no dairy.

Edited by LisaRae (07/22/05 05:03 AM)

#198429 - 07/22/05 05:28 AM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

Thank you to everyone for their responses, it's nice to know that people want to help. I decided to try the Stoneyfield yogurt, the last soy yogurt I tried was not Stoneyfield it was another brand. So maybe this will taste better. I don't know, but I also ordered some probiotic from Amazon called Natrol's Bio-Beads. They were pretty cheap about $8.00 for 30 tablets so I will give those a try when they come. I've never taken anything like that but I'll give anything a try. I just started the Acacia a while ago and I feel better taking that than the Citrucel.Why that is I don't know. I have noticed that I tend to get diarreha from any thing contaning carboxymethelcelluse. Many of the gluten free items I have purchased contain that and Citrucel has that as a main ingredient, so I stopped taking it. Thanks again for all the help I will give soy another try but go into it slowly maybe that will make a difference.

#198447 - 07/22/05 06:43 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dairy is a big no no!! If you want the good bacteria then you can go to a health food store and get a bottle of acedephelus (sp) or a probiotic.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review