All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Are tomatoes safe?
      #197737 - 07/20/05 11:43 AM
Cassandrea

Reged: 07/13/05

I recently received a bunch of tomatoes and was wondering if they safe to eat or will it trigger IBS-D?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are tomatoes safe? new
      #197748 - 07/20/05 12:05 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Treat them like any IF fruit/veggie and you should do fine...so in small quantities and after/with SF. If you have GERDs then they might be problematic with that, but I do okay with them fresh.

#197758 - 07/20/05 12:42 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It depends on the individual, but tomatoes can wreak havoc if you have IBS!

If you want to try them, but want to do so in a cautious manner, it is recommended you remove the skin and seeds and eat the remaining "tomatoe meat" raw. Tomatoes are safest if the skin and seeds are removed. For some reason, they are less safe if cooked. They are even safer if they are organic because conventional tomatoes are literally saturated in pesticides and other chemicals.

Personally I can tolerate a tiny amount of organic tomato cooked if I remove the skin and seeds. Of course, I need to eat the tomatoes along with some soluble fibre (potatoes, white bread, white rice, etc.) otherwise, I'm in for major agony...

#197795 - 07/20/05 01:23 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I skin and seed my tomatoes and do just fine with them. Also, I NEVER cook them.

--------------------
Dana

Does everyone cook and peel the tomato? new
      #198315 - 07/21/05 04:20 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Or do some of you do just fine with them "as is", peel, seeds, and all?

Why are tomatoes safer UNCOOKED? new
      #198322 - 07/21/05 04:28 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Doesn't this go against the general guidelines that cooked veggie is an easier to digest veggie?

Re: Why are tomatoes safer UNCOOKED? new
      #198341 - 07/21/05 05:28 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

WHen tomatoes are cooked, they release acid and acidic foods are baaad for us. Any other veg is safer cooked.

--------------------
Dana

Re: Why are tomatoes safer UNCOOKED? new
      #198343 - 07/21/05 05:44 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yup, as Dana said the bigger issue with tomatoes is not IF but the acid. I personally can't tolerate tomoatoes very well so I don't eat them at all, but when I did I found I could tolerate them much better uncooked than cooked. Just treat them as a normal IF food when uncooked - eat then with lots of SF!

Nope and yep! new
      #198414 - 07/22/05 02:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I did only have little bits occasionally when I started, but now I eat tomatoes just fine...treating them like IF of course.

And cooking them concentrates them, which actually makes them worse for my GERDs so cooked tomatoes are a bigger trigger for me than raw.

Re: Does everyone cook and peel the tomato? new
      #198433 - 07/22/05 05:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do just fine with them, peel, seeds, and all - after or with solid SF, of course. In fact, I've been working up my courage to try a sliced tomato sandwich. I do, however, avoid tomatoes and all raw IF veggies if I'm having an unstable day. Those types of days are becoming few and far between, though - hurray!

I also do fine with tomatoes cooked - I love spaghetti sauce - which I guess pretty much proves I don't have reflux.

BTW, I bought a "cherry" or mini plum tomato yesterday - I'd never seen one before and I'm pretty excited about it. (It's the little things in life ...)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review