All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Could I get some input on this Dr's opinion?
      #197664 - 07/20/05 09:01 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/index.html

I found this as a reference to diet as it affects epilepsy, but the guy references celiac and IBS. Could some of you experts give a look and tell me what you think? He's a little verbose, but his premise is that milk, soy, wheat and corn are basically killing us. What, does that leave us to eat, pray tell? I'm curious. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could I get some input on this Dr's opinion? new
      #197666 - 07/20/05 09:06 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I think it's ridiculous. People have been growing wheat and corn since the stone age. It's absurd to think we've evolved eating something that makes us sick.

Oh, not to mention this guy has never even been officially diagnosed with Celiac, just symptomatically.

Edited by chinagrl (07/20/05 09:10 AM)

Yep, baloney IMHO... new
      #197677 - 07/20/05 09:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and in regard to his reference to children with epilepsy and celiac, it kinda just makes sense to me that by removing a major physical stress (ie. gluten in people with celiac) you could improve their epilepsy in some way. But that has NOTHING to do with IBS at all in any way.

Agreed... new
      #197685 - 07/20/05 10:04 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

not to mention the fact that this guy is not a medical doctor, but a veterinarian...

Re: Agreed... new
      #197688 - 07/20/05 10:11 AM
chinagrl

Well, I don't think that alone would disqualify him. Believe it or not, most of the human medical advances are available at your vet first. The testing processes are much easier- so while the FDA is still sitting around waiting to approve things for people, pets can already have advanced procedures and drugs and things.

Re: Could I get some input on this Dr's opinion? new
      #197693 - 07/20/05 10:16 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm not an expert. I'm epileptic, though. When I eat this way, and I have been for years--with few lapses-- I take minimal medication and am basically experience no side effects/major symptoms. I do, however, see his thinking as dogmatic and ridgid and "religious." I do this because I experience the benefits. Note, though--he's only one point of view and he really comes off as a quack.

I say, eat whatever works for you and that changes all the time. (This does work for me, personally and I experience the benefits, but I'm not about to tell anyone else what to eat or perhaps what not to eat.)

Kate, IBS-D.

#197694 - 07/20/05 10:18 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

He's presuming a lot. Basically just hypothesizing.

Kate, IBS-D.

#197695 - 07/20/05 10:19 AM
chinagrl

Oh, I'm not saying he's right- just saying we can't discount him just because he's a vet. Because his research isn't sound, now that's a reason to discount him.

Thank you for this! Let me tell you why I ask... new
      #197708 - 07/20/05 10:49 AM
bamagirl

My son was recently diagnosed seizure disorder...2 idiopathic grand mal seizures in 4 months. As an infant, he had such severe milk allergies that his skin would blister and his breathing became difficult. We carried an epi kit.

As an almost 12 year old, he has been eating milk products just fine for probably 6 years at least. No more nasty sinus mess, no nothing...until the seizures. Now, about the same time his seizures hit, he began having difficulty breathing...lots of loud snoring and gasping. His seizures are sleep related, so I am investigating the link. Could he be redeveloping milk allergies causing the seizures? How do I go about finding out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

P.S to this post.... new
      #197710 - 07/20/05 10:54 AM
bamagirl

Thank you for all the replies. I still question Celiac as a culprit in some of my IBS woes as I tested positive for some of the antibodies but negative on the small bowel biopsy. This guy made some good points, but good grief, what to eat if you eat that way? I would like to eat as healthy as possible, but this guy leaves few possibilities. Thanks again for all the replies!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review