All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Could I get some input on this Dr's opinion?
      #197664 - 07/20/05 09:01 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/index.html

I found this as a reference to diet as it affects epilepsy, but the guy references celiac and IBS. Could some of you experts give a look and tell me what you think? He's a little verbose, but his premise is that milk, soy, wheat and corn are basically killing us. What, does that leave us to eat, pray tell? I'm curious. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could I get some input on this Dr's opinion? new
      #197666 - 07/20/05 09:06 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I think it's ridiculous. People have been growing wheat and corn since the stone age. It's absurd to think we've evolved eating something that makes us sick.

Oh, not to mention this guy has never even been officially diagnosed with Celiac, just symptomatically.

Edited by chinagrl (07/20/05 09:10 AM)

Yep, baloney IMHO... new
      #197677 - 07/20/05 09:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and in regard to his reference to children with epilepsy and celiac, it kinda just makes sense to me that by removing a major physical stress (ie. gluten in people with celiac) you could improve their epilepsy in some way. But that has NOTHING to do with IBS at all in any way.

Agreed... new
      #197685 - 07/20/05 10:04 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

not to mention the fact that this guy is not a medical doctor, but a veterinarian...

Re: Agreed... new
      #197688 - 07/20/05 10:11 AM
chinagrl

Well, I don't think that alone would disqualify him. Believe it or not, most of the human medical advances are available at your vet first. The testing processes are much easier- so while the FDA is still sitting around waiting to approve things for people, pets can already have advanced procedures and drugs and things.

#197693 - 07/20/05 10:16 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm not an expert. I'm epileptic, though. When I eat this way, and I have been for years--with few lapses-- I take minimal medication and am basically experience no side effects/major symptoms. I do, however, see his thinking as dogmatic and ridgid and "religious." I do this because I experience the benefits. Note, though--he's only one point of view and he really comes off as a quack.

I say, eat whatever works for you and that changes all the time. (This does work for me, personally and I experience the benefits, but I'm not about to tell anyone else what to eat or perhaps what not to eat.)

Kate, IBS-D.

#197694 - 07/20/05 10:18 AM
Wind

He's presuming a lot. Basically just hypothesizing.

Kate, IBS-D.

#197695 - 07/20/05 10:19 AM
chinagrl

Oh, I'm not saying he's right- just saying we can't discount him just because he's a vet. Because his research isn't sound, now that's a reason to discount him.

Thank you for this! Let me tell you why I ask... new
      #197708 - 07/20/05 10:49 AM
bamagirl

My son was recently diagnosed seizure disorder...2 idiopathic grand mal seizures in 4 months. As an infant, he had such severe milk allergies that his skin would blister and his breathing became difficult. We carried an epi kit.

As an almost 12 year old, he has been eating milk products just fine for probably 6 years at least. No more nasty sinus mess, no nothing...until the seizures. Now, about the same time his seizures hit, he began having difficulty breathing...lots of loud snoring and gasping. His seizures are sleep related, so I am investigating the link. Could he be redeveloping milk allergies causing the seizures? How do I go about finding out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

P.S to this post.... new
      #197710 - 07/20/05 10:54 AM
bamagirl

Thank you for all the replies. I still question Celiac as a culprit in some of my IBS woes as I tested positive for some of the antibodies but negative on the small bowel biopsy. This guy made some good points, but good grief, what to eat if you eat that way? I would like to eat as healthy as possible, but this guy leaves few possibilities. Thanks again for all the replies!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: P.S to this post.... new
      #197730 - 07/20/05 11:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am wrtiting this based on my own experience...

Take out the dairy and see if your son improves.

You CAN eat gluten free, IBS safe, and still have lots left to much on. Do a search for Kate's recipes on the Fitness board for starters. And I can give you tips as well. And there are super books out with recipes and info. on eating gluten free.

I don't have celiac. But gluten makes me ILL as does milk, most meat (fish is ok on occasion), and sugar! Corn bothers me as well (like quinoa). I can have a bit and that's it! I HAVE read that corn has some connection with gluten...but it is safe for MANY celiacs...it is also UNSAFE for many as well though (celiac.com has more on this).

HTH.....hope y'all feel good soon *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thank you for this! Let me tell you why I ask... new
      #197743 - 07/20/05 12:00 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am epileptic also. Have been under control for many years. I also have sleep apnea and the neighbors can hear me when I snore. I wake myself up with a huge snore. I wonder if there is a connection.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#197810 - 07/20/05 01:44 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey Bamagirl,

That's interesting. My doctor treats my IBS like someone would treat seizures. He believes that the spasms we experience are actually seizures in the gut triggered by seratonin, prostaglandins, food triggers etc... He has me off all soy products, and corn but says milk is ok if I can tolerate it. He also wants me to limit my gluten intake. Also, he has me on a low dose anti-anxiety anti-sezure medication for those bad times. This regimine has brought my IBS from a 10+ to a 2 to 3. I still have my moments, like the other day when I had a salad - oooooouch!!!! But other than that, I have been doing remarkably well - not perfect- but much better. Of course that's just me. It is really whatever works for you and makes you feel good.

--------------------
Dana

Re: Thank you for this! Let me tell you why I ask... new
      #197908 - 07/20/05 05:14 PM
Wind

I have asthma as well as epilepsy. I am allergic to milk/casein and wheat gluten. I break out in hives/eczema if those substances get in my body. I wheeze and nearly choke and gasp. Nuts/legumes have that effect on my breathing as well. I carry an epi-kit for the nuts, EVERYWHERE!!! Also, my mind gets so fuzzy with dairy/casein/gluten. I'm advised not to consume soy or corn and having eliminated soy I have improved further--I'm avoiding corn. I hardly take any medication, now. If I eat processed foods, my symptoms act up very quickly. I have vague recollections of seizures occuring--in public places--within a short period of time of consuming dairy or wheat (a lot of products contain some or all of the accused). One was at a shopping mall and one was in high school.

Allergies can cause seizures, especially if one has a seizure disorder!!!

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (07/20/05 05:19 PM)

DanaNoel new
      #197909 - 07/20/05 05:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

That is FASCINATING! WOW!

Thanks for sharing this...I wonder if this is all somehow connected. I am beginning to think that song we sang as kids about this bone connected to that bone...is RIGHT! Our bodies are so connected...if one thing goes awry everything is on alert?!

I don't get seizures but I've noticed polenta and quino do not agree with me (nor does corn pasta) and I can have fresh corn on occasion. Gluten makes me ILL. And dairy messes with my sinuses...and...I am just inding this all soo connected the more I read on the boards.

Thanks aain for the info...sounds like yo have a good doc

*hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hold the phone, Kate! Allergies can.. new
      #197911 - 07/20/05 05:16 PM
Snow for Sarala

cause SEIZURES? That is PRETTY SCARY!

That'll make me think twice before eating the foods that make me feel fuzzy, that's for sure....

YIKES!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hold the phone, Kate! Allergies can.. new
      #197912 - 07/20/05 05:23 PM
Wind

Yup--they're related. Stress can cause seizures, too--and sleep deprivation!!! Why do you think I'm so religious about my "siestas!!!"

Dairy and wheat contains optiates. Being gluten sensitive don't you feel DOPED up when you consume it? Literally spun? That's effecting your brain, dear!!!

Kate, IBS-D.

Ok, you have my ATTENTION new
      #197915 - 07/20/05 05:27 PM
Snow for Sarala

yes I DO feel doped up! Same thing when I eat too much food...no matter WHAT the food is!

This is TOTALY SCARY STUFF! I'm glad you posted this...gives me a LOT of food for thought...in every way possible (pun WAy intneded!!!!!)

Thank Kate *hugs* I'd better put this on the fridge door!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: DanaNoel new
      #198007 - 07/20/05 08:04 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Thanks Ruchie - I hope he's a good doc. I mean, like most IBSers, I have tried EVERYTHING with only marginally good results. Have to watch out for those Snake Oil Salesmen a know.

Hey, what happened to that pic of you with your dog? I loved it - have 2 of my own and they are my babies.

--------------------
Dana

We see the ENT today, so believe me, I'm asking questions! Thanks! -nt- new
      #198055 - 07/21/05 05:55 AM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

This is really interesting! new
      #198057 - 07/21/05 05:59 AM
bamagirl

What a neat way to approach IBS! I am going to keep doing my research!! Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#198061 - 07/21/05 06:09 AM
MMN

Reged: 06/24/05

How did you find him? I'm from Miami and I have yet to find a doctor that knows anything about IBS. My doctor says you have IBS, take Zelnorm.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3160

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review