All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to IBS and really need help and advice
      #196740 - 07/18/05 09:34 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

After being put in the hospital in Feb I found out I have IBS. I have had four flare ups since then that last up to a week. I was on librax and now I am on nortriptylin and take citrucel three times a day. I eat a low fat dies and I use soy products. My doctor said this was the worse case of IBS he has ever seen. Please help me. My life is being taken over by this. What meds work? Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to IBS and really need help and advice new
      #196742 - 07/18/05 09:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards. I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time. It would be easier for me to make suggestions if I knew a little more, so ...

First and most important, I assume you've had all the tests Heather recommends to be sure this is IBS and not something else. Correct?

Are you IBS-D (diarrhea is your predominant symptom), IBS-C (constipation predominant), IBS-A (alternating between diarrhea and constipation), or IBS-P (pain predominant)?

Are you on Heather's diet?

How much Citrucel do you take every day and what kind (powder, pills, capsules, flavored, sugar-free, etc?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#196746 - 07/18/05 09:54 AM
LisaRae

Hello and thank you for trying to help me. Yes I have had all the tests. I take Citrucel powder three times a day with one scoop at a time. I have IBS-D. I hope you can help.

#196747 - 07/18/05 09:55 AM
LisaRae

Sorry, forgot to add I am on Heathers diet.

#196749 - 07/18/05 09:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

How long have you been on the diet? And what kind of Citucel are you on...and how long have you been at that dose? Do you know what the dose is in grams of SF?

Have you been tested for celiac and gluten intolerance?

Have you tried Immodium as a preventative drug?

#196758 - 07/18/05 10:09 AM
LisaRae

I am on the powder form of Citrucle and I have been on the diet since Feb.No, I have never tried Immodium.

#196763 - 07/18/05 10:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well you def should! Talk to your GI about it asap. You can take it everyday as a preventative and it's just great. Doing that for a few months whilst I stabilised on the diet and Acacia totally reprogramed my system!

Are you SURE you're following the diet 100%? Checked every label and every trigger? And are you going very easy on the IF as you're D and very unstable?

#196772 - 07/18/05 10:24 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

According to Heather's SFS FAQ page, 1 Tablespoon of Citrucel yields 2 grams of SF. Assuming a scoop is a Tablespoon and you're taking 3 scoops, that's 6 grams of SF from your SFS. That seems low to me. I'm IBS-D and I get 20 grams of SF from my SFS every day. That's high for someone who's D, but 6 seems low. I'd try increasing the SFS very slowly.

Also, please check the label and see if it tells you how much fiber you're getting in a scoop. If a scoop is less than a Tablespoon, you're getting even less SF.

Also, you should be sure your Citrucel does not have artificial sweetener in it. I think Citrucel comes in orange flavor which you may not tolerate well, either. (I'm a little vague on the flavor thing.)

I agree with Linz - try the Imodium. You can do a Search on this Board and see what others say about how they use it. (Use both spellings: Imodium and Immodium)

You can also try posting what you're eating and supplementing for a few days. The people on the Board are very good at spotting problems you might not even notice.

HTH. If it's any consolation I was about as D as D gets prior to finding Heather's plan and have managed to get my IBS under control. I hope the same for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#196842 - 07/18/05 01:04 PM
LisaRae

I am so confused. What is SF and what is SFS? The label does not tell me how much fiber it is. The Imodium every day for preventive. How often and how much? Thanks for all you help, I have so much to learn.

#196843 - 07/18/05 01:08 PM
LisaRae

Take the Imodium and not my other meds? Until I am stable or forever? I really watch my IF. Is Acacia better than Citucle? Thanks for all you help.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 932 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2504

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review