All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What does it honestly taste like?
      #196636 - 07/17/05 07:52 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

I am going for a small bowel follow through on Wednesday! Piece of Cake right? Well..its hard for me to get things down my throat if i dont like it...Does the barium taste bad at all? When i had to drink that laxative for my enema prep, i threw up a little *but that stuff is discusting*..anyone had this before? How long was yours?
thanks
honey_bun

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What does it honestly taste like? new
      #196665 - 07/18/05 06:25 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

ok. you asked for honesty so here it is. I do not have a sensitive gag reflex really and have swallowed some nasty stuff...but the barium was just the worst. Its like drinking glue. And lots of it. Especially because they give you this gasy stuff to down first. I really didn't like it. BUT I managed to not throw up. And if I can do it, you can DEF do it. Expect it to be a not nice experience, but I can PROMISE YOU that you will feel SOOO good about yourself and that you got through the challenge AND that you are going to get results. But I can't lie, that stuff is DISGUSTING!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#196798 - 07/18/05 11:24 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Yep,
Going to have to go with Dalia on this one: it's gross.
BUT!!! If you got all (or most, anyway) of the laxative down, this will be ok.

Here's a hint: if you smile your gag reflex is supressed! This helped me a lot with drinking all the gross stuff. Of course, the people at the dr.'s probably thought I was crazy cause I had a very forced smile on my face the whole time I was getting the Barium down! Also - I thought drinking it quickly helped. And count your swallows: Say, "I will take swallows before I take the cup from my lips." Then make yourself do that.

HTH! And good luck! You'll be fine.
--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#196801 - 07/18/05 11:32 AM
Honey_bun

Oh great...! lol Thanks for telling the truth, i hate when people sugar coat something! Thanks alot for telling the truth! I just keep telling myself, i got that discusting laxative down..i can do this! lol, does it have a strong taste? or is it the texture thats gross (glue)? Ohh well..i'll be ok! lol thanks alot guys!

#196819 - 07/18/05 12:18 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't remember mine having a "strong" taste per say, more just very thick and chalky! Bring a book with you and say for every paragraph or half page or whatever, you will take a drink! I agree, its kinda gross mostly because it seems so thick and heavy but it didn't make me gag or throw up! Good luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#196824 - 07/18/05 12:32 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I remember when I went for mine. The technician gave me the white drink and told me to think of it as a shake, a breakfast shake;it was even in a milkshake glass with a straw. Well I started drinking this shake and it was pretty thick! Not quite tasting like a shake but not that gross.But figured better get it down so I could get this over with. Wasn't that bad really! Enjoy! Good luck on your test. Sue

#196827 - 07/18/05 12:40 PM
Honey_bun

Alright..im not as nervous anymore! Thanks guys

#196897 - 07/18/05 02:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree. I think it is thick and they make you drink it very fast at times but it didn't taste gross. I have a strong gag reflex and it didn't bother me. The worst part of the experience was 1. the doctor was an A1 ***hole 2. They made me drink all that stuff and then not pee! while they waited for it to slowly make its way down and 3. being braless in front of strangers.
Good luck!
P.S. Nowadays I would totally tell that doctor off and use big words even he didn't know! Small town jerk!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 437 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 916

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review