All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone taken Elavil for IBS-C before
      #19608 - 09/04/03 09:14 AM
lopimarie

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Arlington Washington

I went to the a New Dr. yesterday and she wants me to take Elavil and Levsin I have had IBS-C for over 5 years and I have tried very hard not to get on any meds. and have gone all natural and tried everything else and I guess I am at my last straw and have finally broken down to take meds. Has anyone every taken Elavil for ISB-C and has it helped any side ie weight gain Thank You Anita

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone taken Elavil for IBS-C before new
      #19609 - 09/04/03 09:27 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

I am pretty sure Elavil is an anti-depressant and is therefore not particular to any type of IBS. I was on a couple antidepressants to help with the anxiety and mind- gut connection. People have different experiences with them- no harm to give it a try b/c it could help.

I have had IBS for about 5 yers since my gallbladder was removed. I went on Levsin in February- I like it- it has helped me. Of course, I still have to do all of our little tricks with herbs, tea, etc.

I did not want to be on meds either, but you have to weigh the risk of the meds with the quality of life it could give you. How you feel effects your family, friends, your work, etc., so I think it is worth it to give it a try.

Hope that helps.

#19655 - 09/04/03 02:38 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Funny you should mention this. I went to the vet today to talk to him about some problems I am having with one of my beagles and he suggested putting her on a small dose of Elavil. He said it's the same medicine they use for people and that it would help her relax and "chill out" as he put it. She is a very timid dog who's afraid of everything!
I will tell you that since being on my medication for bipolar, my IBS has been much better. My stomach is not in a knot all the time! If you try this, it may take a month or two before you notice a difference, so don't give up on it too soon. Good luck!

#19656 - 09/04/03 02:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I agree with Scwab. If it affects the quality of your life, then so be it. All medications are not bad! If you could live your life without IBS, wouldn't you? I'm not trying to talk you into anything, but sometimes people get so focused on the negative aspects of medicine, that they forget that they can be lifesavers and really improve the quality of our lives. And no, I don't take a lot of medicine. (I take one pill a day.)
If you try something for a month and it doesn't work, then you can always stop it. If you don't try it, you will never know if it will help you, right? As long as it doesn't have lifethreatening side effects, what do you have to lose?

#19665 - 09/04/03 05:14 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

You should try Hypnotheraphy cassettes or c.d.'s I ordered cassettes a while ago. They haven't arrived yet. Hopefully soon. I never heard of Elavil.

#19681 - 09/04/03 11:01 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hi

i've just started to take elavil (tonight) for ibs related problems, though i am d. it is actully more for nausea and upper gi problems which in small doeses can help, i'm on 10mg. this was just recently published somewhere and it does help with migraines. so my gi said, if it doesn't help with my stomach, it might help with migraines, which is fine with me. she actually takes it herself for migraines.

good luck. just take it in the pm as it can cause drowsiness.

amy

#19795 - 09/06/03 06:16 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Anita,

Hello. I managed to stay medicine free up until about a month ago, when the pain got too much to bare at times. I work at Starbucks and with the fast pace, I don't have time to let my attacks get the better of me. They are rare now, but when they visit they aren't very friendly. I am also IBS-C and stress is a HUGE trigger for me. I recently let my guard down and was hit hard. I called my amazing GI doctor who prescribed Levsin (I use the genaric brand). When I was told that a possible side effect was C, I was a little worried, but knew he wouldn't give me something that would add more to the problem.

Well, I have only had to take it 3 times, but it is great! I only have to take 1 (2 would make me go to sleep I think) and it takes care of the ab pain and my BM's are sorted by the next morning.

I hope that you find that your meds are more helpful than harmful.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1671 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review