All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Some food questions
      #196019 - 07/15/05 10:40 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was wondering if 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries or 1 cup of strawberries, and 1 Tablespoon Flaxmeal was a safe first meal for a chronic C person?

I thought it was after talking with my advicer , but this morning I was reading Heather's EFI book and her recipe calls for only 1/4 cup of blueberries and no flax, so I don't know if she would think this was too much IF.

Also, I used the microwaved method she described in order to "burst" the blueberries, and ended up with oatmeal and blueberries all over the inside of my microwave! If I made this on the stovetop, which I prefer, it probably wouldn't "pop" the blueberries. Is that okay?

Who would have though eating non-gf would be so confusing!

Also, is one piece of white bread enough of a buffer for lunch for the rest to be wheat bread and an entire serving of veggies, say cooked, unpeeled zucchini?

One more question, okay, guess this isn't a quick question! Are 3 rice crackers enough SF before eating an unpeeled nectarine?

Finally, is it okay to eat a SF veggie mixed into some IF cooked millet without eating any other SF alone beforehand?

Sorry for so many questions, but I need to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong.

Oh, I don't take an SFS, so I don't have that as an option to have before or with the meal.

Also, how many servings of IF are usually recommended for constipated folks? Is it easier to tolerate them as fruit/veggies than in the form of grains, such as millet? Or is this a personal tolerance thing, again! You all know how I want one size fits all answers!

Thanks experts!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some food questions new
      #196027 - 07/15/05 10:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

This is difficult as it depends SO much on your personal IF tolerance.

Quote:

I was wondering if 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries or 1 cup of strawberries, and 1 Tablespoon Flaxmeal was a safe first meal for a chronic C person? Wouldn't be okay for me! I have about a cup to 1 1/2 cups oatmeal with 1/8 cup raisins, a banana and up to a cup of strawberries...and no flaxmeal. But then I'm not as C as you. But I'd say more oatmeal.

Also, I used the microwaved method she described in order to "burst" the blueberries, and ended up with oatmeal and blueberries all over the inside of my microwave! If I made this on the stovetop, which I prefer, it probably wouldn't "pop" the blueberries. Is that okay? Hmm. If you do it on the stove, poke at the berries with a fork or spoon to pop them. Or take the oatmeal out half way through and stir it...or use a plastic tub with a cover or clingfilm. It possibly made a mess as more berries compared to oatmeal means more water which means HOTTER.

Also, is one piece of white bread enough of a buffer for lunch for the rest to be wheat bread and an entire serving of veggies, say cooked, unpeeled zucchini? Again, wouldn't be for me.

One more question, okay, guess this isn't a quick question! Are 3 rice crackers enough SF before eating an unpeeled nectarine? Now that WOULD be okay for me. I do that all the time.

Finally, is it okay to eat a SF veggie mixed into some IF cooked millet without eating any other SF alone beforehand? Guess what? Not okay for me!

Sorry for so many questions, but I need to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong. S'ok.

Also, how many servings of IF are usually recommended for constipated folks? Is it easier to tolerate them as fruit/veggies than in the form of grains, such as millet? Not sure. I find cooked veggies very easy to tolerate now tho. Or is this a personal tolerance thing, again! You all know how I want one size fits all answers! Sorry hon, no can do!

Oh, sorry, meant ... new
      #196061 - 07/15/05 11:31 AM
Augie

1/2 cup dry oatmeal...before it's cooked! Would this amount be safe for that amount of berries and flax?

I did take it out half way and stirred, and with a cover, but still the mess. Guess the lid isn't tight enough. Didn't know you could use saran wrap in the microwave.

Is the millet mixed with SF veggie maybe okay, but not just for you? Your answers were your personal tolerances Linz? Or are they non-Heather ways to eat?

Thanks for all your help...once again!

--------------------
~ Beth

#196077 - 07/15/05 11:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, you already know my answers, but I'm going to answer them anyway. Again, the only way I can really answer them is to my personal tolerances... and I'm not a C, but I can tolerate quite a lot of IF, I'm finding.

1. I know you meant 1/2 cup UNcooked oatmeal. I would leave out the flaxmeal, but the oatmeal and berries would be a perfect breakfast for me. I'm taking it to mean 1 cup of WHOLE strawberries, right? I've been eating oatmeal and strawberries every morning for the past few days, and I usually throw in about 1/2 cup sliced berries.

2. Of course it's ok to cook the oatmeal and berries on the stove, if that's what you prefer! But saran wrap will do a good job of keeping the mess contained.

3. One slice of white bread would be plenty of a buffer for me.

4. Ditto for the 3 rice crackers. (Well, assuming they're biggish crackers, like a saltine, not little tiny snack crackers.)

5. I'm probably not a good judge of this one, because I never eat millet, and I don't eat any IF grains at all. But I do often eat SF and IF veggies mixed together, and as long as I can get a few bites of JUST the SF veggie in first, I'm fine with it.

On the other hand, you could use a few more calories, so why not play it safe and eat a slice of bread beforehand?

Sadly, Beth, you're not going to get any "one size fits all" answers. EVERYTHING is personal tolerance!

Re: Oh, sorry, meant ... new
      #196102 - 07/15/05 12:27 PM
Linz

Well yeah, but it's all kinda up to your personal tolerances. I'm not sure about exact quantities recommended by Heather, but I'd only eat something like millet with SF veggies after, say, a good sized white bread roll.

Personally I'd still go with some more oatmeal.

#196115 - 07/15/05 12:48 PM
Augie

When you said, "Well yeah", what part of the post were you refering to?

Is it a personal tolerance thing, or am I not following Heathers diet with this method of eating?

Sorry, but me's confused!

--------------------
~ Beth

#196139 - 07/15/05 02:10 PM
Linz

I can only reply with what I know works or doesn't for me. I'd say that what you are eating is pushing it with Heather's guidelines...but then the oracle herself says you need to vary amounts etc b/c of personal tolerances!

Thanks Casey new
      #196389 - 07/16/05 10:11 AM
Augie

Yes, I meant one cup of whole strawberries! And 1/2 cup of whole blueberries. I just can't figure out how to make them pop on the stovetop to make them safer! I was a little anxious about the amount of Blueberries after reading H's recipe that only called for 1/4 cup. Was afraid I overdid the IF. I'm still doing 1/2 cup of whole blueberries, so hopefully that's okay?

And the rice crackers are kind of on the "light" side since they are made from a light rice flour. Maybe I better eat a few more to be safe.

I would eat a whole piece of bread beforehand, but still working on the Gastroparesis thing....you know it's harder for me to get more quantities of food in before becoming too full. So I don't think I could manage to add even more food to my meals. But maybe I'll try 1/2 piece.

I wish the darn doctor would retest me to see if it is getting any better. He told me it should get better as I ate more since he believes my case was induced from my long battle with Anorexia...and that he believes that GP in Former Anorexics gets better eventually. I hope he knows what he is talking about. It doesn't feel like it's getting any better! In fact, quite the opposite if anything.

--------------------
~ Beth

#198695 - 07/22/05 05:03 PM
marksgal82

Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Montana

Sorry to jump in here. I am new to the forum and trying to find help for my daughter. What is meant by the letters after IBS (A, C and such)? and on the food items what is IF and SF? I am trying to read as much of the website as possible but haven't found that yet. THANKS!

#198737 - 07/22/05 08:36 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I had the same Oatmeal explosion episode with my microwave. I solved that problem by microwaving the oatmeal in a large bowl and then transferring it to a smaller bowl to eat. Yum!!

--------------------
Dana

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 862 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1141

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review