Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Taking Fiber...but now I am C???
      #19589 - 09/04/03 06:09 AM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Hi,
I am normally IBS-D. I took Fibercon, but found that it gave me a stomach ache. Now I am taking metamucil, 1 serving of the wafers before breakfast and a glass of the mix before dinner. I had no cramping from the metamucil, but now for the last two weeks I have been constipated. Not dehabiliting, but nevertheless uncormfortable. This concerns me because I am taking fiber and following the diet. My diet hasn't changed too much from what it normally was because I don't like red meat and really kept a close eye on the fat content. I am sure I drink more water than anyone else in the world too... I drink enough to go to the bathroom at least every hour. I have been eating a lot of breads for snacks, but I am not sure what type of effect that will have.

Should I increase my fiber? Maybe start taking something at lunch? Or is there anything else that might be causing it? Could the metamucil be causing it? Or should I go ahead and have that double bacon cheese burger that I have been dreaming about to get things moving?

BTW, I have my first colonosciospy (sp?) comming up in the end of September. I am not nervous about the procedure, just about the steps before. I told my hubby that I was going to stay at my parents house because they have two bathrooms and we only have one!

Thanks,
Olivia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Taking Fiber...but now I am C??? new
      #19592 - 09/04/03 06:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!!!!

How much water are you drinking? Make sure you get TONS...16 8oz glasses a day is what Heather recommends.

HTH...

Welcome to the board!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#19595 - 09/04/03 06:44 AM
Olivia

Seriously, I drink at least 1-1.5 gallons of water. I have a 24 oz up at my desk and I refill it about 5 times while I am at work (8-9 hours). I also have 24 oz glasses at my house and will drink 3-4 of those after work. I drink water all day long and that is all I drink. Ans this count is not including any tea that I drink... just plain water.

It is rediculous how much water I drink. See... I emptied my cup just now and I only filled it about 45 mins ago.

Olivia

#19598 - 09/04/03 07:21 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Olivia
Welcome to the board.
I deal with C even with fiber supplements. I was taking six tablespoons a day, but not anymore.
My question for you is, are you still using dairy in your diet? Dairy can cause C and when I went dairy free it has helped my C.
You can also do a search about dairy on the board and find a lot of good info. about it.
Hope this helps and good luck.
BTW I drink alot of water too and have to go to the bathroom on the hour.

#19600 - 09/04/03 07:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello, I also suffer from C. Are you getting enough insolable fiber??? Sounds like you are doing everything else right. I know when I first started following Heathers diet I wasn't getting enough of the insoluable stuff. If I eat too much rice, bread and other solable fiber without enough insoluable fiber, my C is much worse! Try adding some hummus, beans, raisins or peas to your diet. Just add a little at a time so as not to cause an attack. If you are worried about gas, try Beano with your food, it helps me a lot! I have a bowl of raisin bran a couple times a week and even some wheat pita with my hummus. I can tolerate salads about once a week as well. Everyone is different so just add slowly and you should see an improvement soon! Hope you start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#19602 - 09/04/03 07:35 AM
Olivia

Dairy is out of my diet too. Well, I put butter on things when I eat toast (like once a week) and pasta, but it isn't really that much. That is why I was thinking I might be eating too much bread or something else.

Olivia

#19603 - 09/04/03 07:38 AM
Olivia

That is a good point, when I think about it I have pretty much eliminated insoulable fiber from my diet. I guess I will have some brocolli with dinner tonight? Do you think brocolli is good? I guess it is a good excuse to make ministrone soup too with northern beans...yummy!

Sorry, I love to eat!

#19605 - 09/04/03 08:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck with the colonoscopy! The prep ain't nice, but if you're prepared, it should be ok. Do not plan to do ANYTHING the day before the procedure as I found I spent most of the time (when not in the bathroom!) in bed . Also, not a nice thought ( ), but I'd suggest you get some nappy rash cream beforehand - it helps. And warn your parents that you'll need sole access to the nearest bathroom. Good luck - hope your C clears up!

#19610 - 09/04/03 09:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't like brocolli myself, but yes, I think that would be good. And absolutley make the soup! I think you will find this to be the source of your C!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks for the advice everyone - nt - new
      #19635 - 09/04/03 11:22 AM
Olivia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review