All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why did this happen?
      #195582 - 07/14/05 09:14 AM
tonnie1978

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: SC & CA

I am new to this board but not to the IBS life. I think I had it a few years ago, I was IBS-D, then 2 years ago after I had my child, I became IBS-A. I went in for a colonoscopy and I am not sure if there are any tests to prove I have IBS, but I didn't have any kind of cancer or anything and b/c of my symptoms, they said I have IBS. I have been on LEVBID for about a year. I have little or no outbreaks. But I want to get off the medicine b/c it causes bad headaches and some time migraines. Plus I want to do this with diet so I can get off the drug and with in the next few years, have another child.
So here I am today. I went to a dietician. She put me on a bland diet with soy milk. She told me to continue my meds. Here is the thing, it is my time of the month and I have a little cold. And while on the medicine, I have little or no symptoms. So this morning, I ate a bowl or cereal (rice), soy milk, and a banana.
I started feeling some pain and became naustious like I used to. So I took my rx medicine.
Then I got Diareah!!! So I just finally took something for that.
From the IBS chart, I had all safe foods. Why could this have happened?
My dieticin thinks I may have Celiac Disease but can't be sure until we try out other foods.
But isn't banana's, rice cereal, and soy milk okay no matter what??
THANKS!
TONYA

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why did this happen? new
      #195586 - 07/14/05 09:19 AM
feverdream

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: California

Some people have allergies to bananas, even though they are considered "safe" for the most part, so it could have been that... also, was the rice cereal made from brown or white rice? Some people have trouble digesting brown rice because it's a whole grain. Other than that, it could have been something you ate days before... that happens to me a lot. Good luck!

#195587 - 07/14/05 09:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Firstly, you must have a blood test to check for celiac before you can get an IBS diagnosis, so check that was done. Always, that should've been spotted in the colonoscopy. You could still be intolerant of wheat or gluten w/out having celiac however.

However, I'd guess the problem with your new diet is the soy milk. Many people need to introduce it slowly to allow their body's to become accustomed to it - and some people can't tolerate soy at all. So cut that back (but still don't eat dairy) and increase it gradually.

BUT...as it's your time of the month AND you have a cold, it could just be that you were going to get D whatever.

Have you tried this diet before or not? Why are you seeing a dietician? And fyi, celiac should NOT be diagnosed by a dietician ever...you need the GI tests for that.

#195599 - 07/14/05 09:49 AM
tonnie1978

The dietician stated that I may need to get tested for that since I don't digest some "safe foods" properly and that some of the symptoms mimic each other.
The ceral was rice cereal, not brown rice. I got all my food at the health food store to try to get the safest stuff possible... And I have been on this diet for 48 hours. This is the 1st time I ate without my meds.
It could be the banana, but from what I read, it could be a soy allergy.
How much do I need to start out with? I just put enough to cover my ceral.
I am thinking of trying it again tomorrow with only soy milk. And if I get sick again, then that means I may be soy intolerant????
Oh, the reason I am going to a dietician is b/c I am better at show me than reading it from a book. And even though this website and her book is helpful, I need to know how do I eat the Safe foods w/ the IF so I can not have a reaction or gain weight. So, we are on safe foods now and are introducing something new every 48 hours...
THX
TONYA

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

#195603 - 07/14/05 09:56 AM
Linz

Pleas eremember to check all your labels no matter where the food comes from. HFSs aren't perfect...and as IF can be an issue they can be tricky.

You can't tell food intolerances that easily I'm afraid. You'd need to do an exclusion diet (which takes a month per food) and as you're totally not stable it probably wouldn't be a reliable result anyway.

Someone else's docrtor suggested starting on 1/4c soy milk a day for about a week before increasing.

Why not do the BTC diet with super safe foods and work from there?

#195801 - 07/14/05 06:08 PM
tonnie1978

Wow, I didn't realize that I should do a food a month. I will try it the way you suggested. My dietician said to introduce a new food every 48 hours. Hopefully I will find some safe foods.

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

No, I've got you confused! new
      #195853 - 07/14/05 11:57 PM
Linz

What I was talking about was an exclsuion diet which is a way of testing for food intolerances. When you are eating a wide-range diet, you cut out all the foods that you think might be a problem for a montha nd monitor your symptoms. Then after a month you add one food in...after another month, another food, until you find one or more that makes you worse. Unfortunately, if your IBS is really unstable, it can be tricky to get an accurate response, so it's best to wait for a bit.

Having said that, I'm not sure why the 48 hour thing either. That isn't a good enough test to tell if something new disagreed with you IMHO as IBS is more complex than that. For example, you might be able to have tomatoes, but not along with onions. Or you could eat a perfectly okay food but just have one bad day not relating to food and blame the food. Or it coulod be something like soy that you'll probably be fine with but that you need to introduce slowly. I'm not convinced your dietician really understands IBS to be honest - sorry!

IMHO the best way of finding personal unusual food triggers is to go on the IBS diet fully and keep a food diary to see if you can link downward dips with particular foods. Also, that way, if you don't improve as you hoped (but hopefully you would do a least a bit) you could then cut out suspect foods in a proper exclusion diet.

Linz, have you done an exlusion diet? new
      #196400 - 07/16/05 10:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Did that help you to become more stable? I've been thinking about getting the York food intolerance test done, but don't know if they are reliable...and they cost 400 dollars!

But I would feel more confident having assitance with my exclusion diet...feedback from professionals.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yep... new
      #196405 - 07/16/05 11:03 AM
Linz

...my alternative do years ago put me through a horrible one when I was having treatment for migraines...and most things on my intolerence list then are now either IBS or Fibro triggers for me. Actually alot of them are on the trigger list for IBS!

Do a search for the York test on the Living Room...it's come up before and I think the conclusion was that it wasn't that reliable.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review