All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Had to review...
      #194912 - 07/12/05 11:12 PM
anne354

Reged: 02/13/03

Had a big wake-up call yesterday/today; I went out to lunch with some friends from work, and totally forgot my IBS diet basics. It was noon, I hadn't eaten yet (I often am not hungry before noon, so need to work on the breakfast thing), and you'll never guess what I ordered...on an empty stomach, no less...a huge salad of raw spinach, aragula, shredded carrots, diced pears, grape nuts, and blue cheese. No soluble fiber, or anything else. WHAT WAS I THINKING!? I honestly thought I was headed to the hospital by midnight last night; I suffer from IBS-C, and raw veggies and salads of this nature totally shut me down. But it was like I just couldn't stop myself from ordering it and eating the whole thing. Talk about panic...things still haven't cleared up all the way, but getting there and feeling better. Lots of pain, lots of time in the potty, and lots of time to review my "sin"...I'm so grateful for this website, and the message boards, and the people that run all of this. I went to the website first thing today and re-read everything I need to remember about this condition; it truly is NOT to be messed with. I continually hope that someday I'll learn from experiences like this; though they may be fairly few and far between, in the aftermath of each one, I realize they occur far too often!! Hope everyone has a great day/week...Thanks for "listening"...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

We all do it sometimes.... new
      #194914 - 07/12/05 11:47 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Even those of us who don't forget the guidelines And sometimes I think it takes a few days of suffering for us to remember why we were eating that way in the first place! I hope you feel better soon

--------------------
Amy

Re: Happy recovery new
      #194933 - 07/13/05 03:48 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Happy recovery. Those salads are so beautiful and tempting and pre-IBS, I'd eat at least half a kilo of salad/day, sometimes even a kilo of those greens--hold the blue cheese, and pile on the sprouts, of course. Just the thought of it makes me shudder. Perhaps, when you recover, should you crave those things, consider cooking them/pureeing them. I crave those greens, but out of self-love and preservation, I COOK THEM and PUREE them and EAT THEM WITH SF and only when I'm stable. I don't have a problem with them when the are made more digestible in such a way. It's basically most things I would have had in a "salad" just cooked/pureed.

I hope you recover a.s.a.p.

Re: Had to review... new
      #194976 - 07/13/05 06:09 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ohhhh that salad sounds so yummy. I miss eating salads as a meal, so I feel your pain. Get well soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Happy recovery new
      #195049 - 07/13/05 08:15 AM
anne354

Reged: 02/13/03

Thanks so much for the tip. I will remember to cook/puree, as I too get along so much better with that kind of greens. And include the SF, of course. I'm back to "normal" this morning, and feeling my old self. Appreciate your good advice. Have a great day/week.

#195056 - 07/13/05 08:28 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm glad to hear you're doing better today! I've done this before as well: you see a beautiful salad, you're hungry, you're feeling pretty good and, before you know it, you've strayed from the diet. Then comes the pain, the attack.

Even though I feel I remember the IBS diet basics, if I'm feeling bad or if I feel like I messed up I still like to look it over. It's reassuring! It's like I know I can get back on track.

I hope you keep on feeling better!

Take care,

#195069 - 07/13/05 08:50 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I can understand! After months of being pretty careful, I ate a broccoli salad last night (raw broccoli, cheese, bacon, mayo, raisins.)

What was I thinking? I plead temporary insanity!

I was in pain all night (horrible gas and bloating too), but thankfully, I am better this morning.

No more raw veggies for me!!!

Um, hard to admit new
      #195368 - 07/13/05 06:13 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but Ive been eating bad for about 2 weeks agian. It hurts!! So silly-but I ahve to get back into eating at home.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review