All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I can't cook new
      #194028 - 07/11/05 06:54 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I don't think so... that doesn't make any sense. C is a fairly temporary problem, in the scheme of things. I mean, fat is fat, and poo is poo, you know? People look for a lot of reasons (genetics, metabolism, etc) to explain being overweight, but what good does that do? You still need to lose the weight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight relative to C or D new
      #194060 - 07/11/05 07:49 AM
eniarnna

Reged: 06/30/05
Loc: Northern Virginia

I'm a D but I weigh anywhere from 188 to 198 which is a bit overweight. I gained a good amount when I started taking elavil for my IBS (though it's original use was for depression) and paxil for anxiety/depression. From what I've learned of antidepressants they can really make you put on weight

--------------------
Raine
IBS-D

#194083 - 07/11/05 08:31 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, from my experience Elavil will make you gain weight. I gained about 15-20 pounds. I was glad to be able to lose it through diet and exercise when I went off the meds.

#194146 - 07/11/05 10:06 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

So many of your pictures are of thin people.

I have a sneaking suspicion (based somewhat on personal experience) that non-thin people are less likely to post their pictures.

To get back to your main point, I don't think C or D has anything to do with weight. I'm D and seriously overweight. I think that once food gets to the poop stage it's no longer available for calorie extraction, so how long it sits in you doesn't affect how many calories you get from it. (Man, I am getting some truly gross visuals from this.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Well, I'm A but mostly C new
      #194173 - 07/11/05 10:40 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and I am a good 50 lbs overweight. I think it's because when my pain starts, I eat to push things along-and the same reason I eat with GERD too. I'll be a support system if you'll be for me. i ahve no IDEA what I'm doing in the kitchen but I'm making an effort with my George Foreman Grill and steaming pots.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Raine, are you Icelandic? new
      #194175 - 07/11/05 10:42 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

if that's your last name in your name there, it seems very "horn-hat" to me. I'm 1/4 Icelandic and very proud. We're not a big bunch!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

guess I'm just fat then...... new
      #194278 - 07/11/05 02:06 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I just ate dinner. A PB&J, milk & coffee. I feel like I am back in grade school. Breakfast is in 14 hours. Around 7p.m. we will get snacks. Either 2 cookies or saltines and kool-aide. Yuck.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#194285 - 07/11/05 02:34 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

I am C, but am at a good weight. C causes me to lose my appetite so much, that it seems to help in that dept. But, I do crave sugar when I get C, which is my downfall. If I am "going" I eat more because my appetite gets back and food tastes good again. (Also, I "feel fat" because my tummy is a little, round bloated globe so much of the time.)

I am a firm believer in two main keys to weight control:
1) EXERCISE! Without it, you do not keep the muscle mass that burns calories.
2) 80/20 PROGRAM -- Eat 80% healthy, natural foods like fruits, veggies, fish, oats, etc, and 20% "fun" foods -- like for me, Kudos chocolate covered chocolate chip granola bars or bread and butter.

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Re: guess I'm just fat then...... new
      #194329 - 07/11/05 05:20 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Could you try eating smaller meals more frequently? If you're truly hungry, it's likely that you're not eating enough. And maybe add more protein to your dinner - PB&J, whilst yummy, is not exactly a protein or nutritional powerhouse.

The best way to get your metabolism roaring is to eat very frequently - kind of like horses and other animals just graze all day long. This has completely worked for me.

And no, sweetheart, you're not "just fat." Without being able to eat lots of raw salads and raw fruit, we must eat other things to fill up on - and the "safe" foods are often high calorie. So it only makes sense that you won't lose initially in the diet, unless you were eating fast food all day long (or the equivalent). Since you'd dieted before, it's likely that you were eating somewhat healthy before you started the diet.

If you're interested, I'd love to help. But my feelings won't be hurt if you aren't.

Have a great day!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: guess I'm just fat then...... new
      #194333 - 07/11/05 05:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I agree with Elizabeth.

First, don't "knock yourself down" psychologically.

Secondly, is it possible to make more IBS-safe/friendly choices available to you to "graze" on? I recognize that you are limited by your living situation. Can a doctor write a letter re: your condition and how essential diet is to your health/well-being?

Grazing is the best way to lose weight and live energetically, to keep the metabolism steady and stoked with fire to burn!!! It's not just a lifestyle, but a way of thinking/being. Try dividing your meals into mini-meals/snacks. Is it possible for you to have a mini-fridge or microwave?

Take care,
Kate, IBS-D, pain-prominent.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4318

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review