All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Beth, re: Mangoes
      #193872 - 07/10/05 02:13 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth,
Just curious re: have you indulged in any mangoes? (I just had one for a snack!) You expressed interest in them recently and for me, they are one of the most tummy soothing and energizing foods. If selecting a mango, go for the ATAULFO MANGO; they are yellow skinned--don't eat this part!--but the flesh is like gelato, so firm and juicy and springy. Once you've had this type of mango, the other varieties are disappointing. Make sure it is firm, but not rock hard to the touch.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Beth, re: Mangoes new
      #193936 - 07/10/05 07:59 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have one in my fridge right now! I had to throw the last two out because they were all stingy inside. The one I had before those two was yummy though...so I guess I can't get the hang of picking out a good one. They all looked the same to me. And, frankly, I can't afford to buy then only to throw them out!

I have never heard of the ATAULFO MANGO...but I have seen some yellow ones. They were called Honey mango. Is that the same thing as ataulfo? I wasn't sure if this type of mango was still safe.

Glad you enjoyed your yummy mango. I doubt you had to puree this one either, as they seem pretty safe...although I still cook them to be safe. Maybe I'll be brave and have a raw one since they are SF. Do I dare??

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#193989 - 07/11/05 04:43 AM
Wind

I dare you! Truly, I think a mango is spoiled by cooking. Like bananas, avocados, and papaya, the live digestive enzymes in mango are so gut-soothing! Just peel it and enjoy. I don't bother cooking mangoes. I eat them before cooking even becomes an idea!

The honey mango you mentioned sounds like the mango I was referring to, in the previous post. It's strange, but my mangoes never make it to the fridge! I eat them, too quickly!

Somehow, I just naturally/intuitively pick good ones, i.e. juicy, sweet and NOT STRINGY.

#193996 - 07/11/05 05:52 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I should have gotten those yesterday- they had them and the others.. I got regular mangos for the gliders and dried some.. gues I'll be buying more and drying more fruit sometime soon...

they where much more difficult to process...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Was the yellow one little and ..... new
      #194369 - 07/11/05 06:59 PM
Augie

shaped sort of like a kidney bean?

The only reason mine is still in the fridge and not my tummy is because I've been so darn C this past month (worse than usual) that I am trying to get more IF fruits in me...like pureed blueberries and unpeeled nectarines. My papaya and mangoes are rotting as they too wait for my C to pass. Oh, I just made a pun without trying.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth.... new
      #194372 - 07/11/05 07:12 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

not to do with mangoes (I love the orange one's best and don't eat them out of the fridge it spoils the taste ) but was just wondering if you've started eating wheat again and how that's going?

--------------------
Amy

I ventured as far as ... new
      #194376 - 07/11/05 07:25 PM
Augie

a few pretzels. I don't feel any differently ...still C! I guess I was expecting some big thing to happen!

I stuck with the GF breakfast, lunch and dinner though!

Tomorrow, I will have Oatmeal, maybe, but that's all for tomorrows challenge. And Oatmeal is even considered to be safe by some GF folks, so this isn't a big challenge. Maybe I need to do this all or nothing in order to know for sure if it is the gluten? What do you think?

I went shopping yesterday and could only bring myself to buy the oatmeal and the pretzels. I am so GF brainwashed...it feels totally unnatural to be buying anything that has gluten.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I ventured as far as ... new
      #194378 - 07/11/05 07:48 PM
doubletrouble

He he. I know how that feels. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks and yesterday I was SO tempted to have normal bread for lunch. I got as far as buttering it and then I just couldn't do it I REALLY REALLY wanted to but I just couldn't. I don't think anything major is going to happen. I can seem to tolerate a little cheat (like a bit of thickener in sauce) but when I was eating normal bread I'd feel fine until I ate lunch then every day 2 hours after eating I'd get this heavy sore feeling in my belly and feel like rubbish the rest of the afternoon. I don't really get that anymore. I can't tolerate oatmeal at all. One bowl isn't too bad but if I have it 2 days running, well I'm running! I think it probably is a case of all or nothing. Eat normally and if you feel worse then you should probably stick with GF. Just eating small amounts would be like cutting out only one or 2 triggers (yeah, I know, I know, I'm guilty of this). Good luck. I really hope you go okay with it.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Was the yellow one little and ..... new
      #194383 - 07/11/05 07:52 PM
Wind

That's the one! Try a mango-berry smoothie! It's one of my favourite combos. Great sf from the mango and IF from the berries.

#194518 - 07/12/05 08:40 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

they are great grilled with white lean pork!! YUMMY!! and I had some fat free mayonnaise blended with mango from whole foods the other day- yummmy!!

#194523 - 07/12/05 08:48 AM
Wind

Or something more IBS-friendly/safe if thinking of an animal protein-enhancer, i.e. fish/shellfish--especially lean and white; halibut, shrimp, etc. Lean skinless poultry as well.
Personally, I like my mangoes "naked!" If you're ever bummed out check out a book entitled, "HOW TO EAT MANGOES NAKED." I can't recall the authour--I think it's Sark, though. It picked me up on a very emotionally rainy afternoon. I still think the best way to eat a mango properly is over the kitchen sink! They are wonderful in a berry smoothie.

Amy! new
      #195381 - 07/13/05 07:13 PM
Augie

I still can't get past the oatmel and a pretzel or two! I'm hanging on to the GF diet so tight. Like a little kid who puts one toe in the swimming pool because of fair. I honestly don't know how to do a non-GF diet! All the cereals look foreign and I can't even pick out a brand of bread! I go to the store and just look at all the different products and leave with nothing. I then return home and eat my GF grains and bread (as I eat some brown rice bread now!)

You're probably right about going all or none..but I was hoping I could just test the waters a little first! I know most gluten intolerant people feel nasty after just a smidgen of gluten.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth I've found.... new
      #195411 - 07/13/05 09:33 PM
doubletrouble

that over the last couple of days I've been cheating a little and I feel awful. It only takes one meal with a little bit of gluten or wheat in it and I feel all gurgly and in pain (more than usual!) so with some people that is the case. Others it takes a lot more and some don't notice anything despite the fact it's doing damage to them. Just go to the shop, don't check labels, buy something you know you like GF like Rice bubble or chex or cornflakes (these all contain gluten). Ummm Special K and Nutri grain have wheat without it being whole wheat and I'm a sucker for Special K. Just buy any loaf of IBS safe bread you can find (anything white anyway) and dinner just cook your usual but substitute your safe grains and flours for cous cous or wheat flour. Hope this helps and keep me updated
PS Did you get my card?

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review