All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Do any of you find that you have a extremely sensitive sense of smell as well? new
      #193792 - 07/10/05 09:13 AM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Board clogger- sorry!! Highly sensitive people revisited: new
      #193798 - 07/10/05 09:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input. Yes.
Other people's moods affect me. Yes.
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. Oh, yeah! I need my cave.
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. Not really.
I startle easily. No.
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. Once in a while.
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. No, I seek them out.
I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. Not really.
When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. No. Outgoing and opinionated. I think the pulling away came as an adult due to dealing with IBS and anxiety.

Hm. I guess I'm not as sensitive as I thought. Yay? Lol.

LOL-I like the intelligence theory- new
      #193968 - 07/10/05 10:00 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

without coming out and saying we're all brilliant....LOL!!

I ahve changed much from childhood and am much more sensitive now than then-but was always almost ESP level with feeling other's feelings. Any advice on how to detach? I get way too hurt and involved with ppl-I actually get as intensely involved with friends as with lovers were...and it's really hard to maintain that intense of a friendship. So mine are all at arms length.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

yep...yet why do i read mine?? new
      #193969 - 07/10/05 10:02 PM
_Willow

and why do i always think it's probably right? Oh-it's cause it always says I'm going to be REALLY rich this month. liars.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

oddly enough, I'm HSP but also new
      #193970 - 07/10/05 10:04 PM
_Willow

outgoing and opinionated. And easily hurt, spooked and annoyed. But never for long.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ooo, you sound like me! new
      #193979 - 07/11/05 02:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That is so me. I haven't read all the thread yet, but sound v. interesting!

Re: Highly sensitive people revisited: new
      #193993 - 07/11/05 05:39 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Hm...This is interesting.

I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input. Sometimes, noise especially.

Other people's moods affect me. Yes.

I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. I can handle one hectic or two hectic days, but more than that, yeah, I can use quiet and dark space, and NEED it.

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. Yes

I startle easily. That one comes and goes, but lately, yes, I startle easy.

My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. If I am socializing a lot, after a week or two I need time alone to recharge.

I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. Not really, but I don't seek them out either.

I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. If they are right in front of me, yes. Over the weekend, a neighbor's car alarm went off for about 2 and a half hours straight, for example. Drove me nuts!

When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. I am still shy.

Re: LOL-I like the intelligence theory- new
      #194119 - 07/11/05 09:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Your experience with friendships sounds like mine: either too close or not quite close enough. Boundaries - fusion versus separation and individuation - is a vast, tangled landscape. You might take a look at a book called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I don't know if it will really apply to you, but it's a place to start and very accessible.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: yep...yet why do i read mine?? new
      #194125 - 07/11/05 09:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest

I'm pretty sure Alexander Pope didn't have horoscopes in mind when he wrote that, but I think it applies.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Board clogger- sorry!! Highly sensitive people revisited: new
      #194935 - 07/13/05 03:57 AM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

fascinating! I was just reflecting on how I came to develop being so sensitive tummy wise.

I can replay a competely trivial event in my mind over and over, like one time in the supermarket the checker said something snide and now I cant even remember exactly but I am still peeved about it.

I just read in another forum about replacing thoughts we don't want
>>>>>
Like a river, our mental energy is always flowing and needs to constantly 'decide' where to flow. In other words, we need to know what to do, not what to not do. The classic "Don't think of a pink elephant" creates an image in the mind of a pick elephant because the mind has no choice. Once we create an alternative route for our thinking, our mind will take it - for example, we might
decide, "Okay, I'll think of a black dog instead." Link those two together until the neural pattern is fixed and
every time somebody says, "Don't think of a pink elephant", you'll think of a black dog. Not a pink elephant.
<<<<<

I have been doing this for years that every time I think evil violent thoughts about the horrific demise of my husband or kitten, I just start saying Cancel Cancel Cancel over until I forget about it and it usually works.

Also I was a synchro swimmer and we did underwater laps. And I NEVER wanted to know how many strokes it would take so I would push myself and not wimp out and come up for air. So I have to start counting really fast by 2s or 3s or backwards still today to distract me from the real count! (I haven't quite worked back up to the 2 lap/1 breath underwater I could do 20 years ago, but I get about 1 1/3)

I only mind loud people if I am trying to relax, like in the sauna, and I am 98% extrovert so I usually speak up if possible.

I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
add stupid shows too! I only watch the Simpsons Spongebob & Whos Line I avoid violent stupid movies but smart ones are OK like Pulp Fiction, Matrix, Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels

and a so called friend called me fussy once and I can never think of her without thinking that is what she always thinks about me, and I haven't called her in weeks

I hope you all like my post. I might cry if ya don't.
Christy

and just look at how funny my sig is in this context -thanks Woody

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review