All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Just a couple of things to add... new
      #192048 - 07/05/05 08:17 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

'cause I think that everyone else has offered really great advice so far, and I agree 100%. It really does take a lot of time to figure out how to really cope with your IBS.
I think it sounds like you are doing really good things by tracking your symptoms and good days vs not so good days.

How is your stomach in general? Do you feel like you have a handle on your belly yet?

Okay, anywho, here is my little bit of advice about coping:
It's all about the people you surround yourself with. Doctors and stuff are obviously important.. I know that I was a total emotional WRECK when I was so sick and having a doctor who was basically just like, "I dunno, eat more fiber" over and over again made me feel even worse. The first time I sat down with a really good, really understanding GI doctor I almost burst into tears.. but happy ones. And you know, I felt WAY better when I walked out of the office than I had in weeks JUST because I had a good doctor.
Other than professionals, I think the other people in your life are so important as well. There are so many people who won't be as understanding as you'll want them to, be it people you are close to or just random people or whatever..
As the barenaked ladies say, "If there's someone you can just shove out, well do so!".
I had a best friend who was a horrible so-and-so.. probably mostly evil. When I got sick, she turned her evil ways on me. It turned bad days because of my stomach, into really horrible days. She ended up ditching me, and I was so upset.. She was my best friend since we were like 9 years old, I thought I had really lost someone!!.. until a couple of weeks later I realised how much better I felt by NOT having her around! By not having someone to make me feel bad about myself, to make me feel guilty, to belittle how I was feeling... It was very liberating.

Alright, that's my two cents.

Good luck!
--Steph

P.S. You have a very, very lovely picture.. Lovely!

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you all emotionally cope? new
      #192050 - 07/05/05 08:21 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Well I've had IBS my whole life. After 26 years you'd think I would have learned to accept it but I find that when I'm feeling at my worst I just can't. On the good days (and yes your glass is half full, I get about 3 a year if I'm lucky and have no idea what it is like to feel truly well)I am grateful for not feeling too ill. On the worst I quite often cave in and let myself have a cry if I need or I get angry. Mostly I cope with it by researching. I know almost everything there is to know about what is going wrong with my body and why. I guess I feel like if I know as much as possible then it helps me cope with what is happening physically. Does that make sence at all? Some days I seriously contemplate jumping off my roof, if I'm not here I can't be hurting like this all the time, but those occassions are rare and I know that I would never do that to my DH or my children or parents. If I could swing a dead chicken and howl at the moon I'd do it too and yes, I have days where I'm sure I would consider doing a deal with the devil just to be "normal". I hope you find your way of coping with it all soon.

--------------------
Amy

#192059 - 07/05/05 08:38 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

It is good that you keep a calendar like that to somehow try and make sense of things. I have also tried doing that and after years and different diets I have had no luck unfortunately. The only thing that I can tell which may not make sense is.. My Mom has had Multiple Sclerosis for 15 years and she is in a wheelchair now. She can't do anything by herself and she struggles with everything on a daily basis. Everytime I look at her all of my pain goes away because I think to myself, even on my worst days I am no where near her. So everytime I have a really bad attack or I just feel like I am so sick I think of all the people out there who have it so much worse than me and I somehow always get through it. I try to stay very positive for myself and for her. I hope this helps!

#192080 - 07/06/05 05:31 AM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

I've had IBS (well, been diagnosed with it) for about a year now. At first it was absolutely terrifying, and I refused to believe that something so large -and chronic- could be wrong with me. As soon as I started to deal with it, though, it got better. Even though I was still in pain and constipated and not all that sure what was going on, I regained enough confidence to go out with my friends (even to eat!). I think it really helped that I had a job at the time, as well. No matter how I felt, I had to get up and go to work, no excuses. Having no choice made it much easier. All the same, it took me about 3 months to feel confident about going some place (like my university classes) where I had to sit in one place for a long period of time. Even now, I try to sit in seats near the door and with easy access to a bathroom. Then, about 6 months ago, my C suddenly changed to D and I was terrified again. Now I was completely out of my league and my old diet was obviously no longer working. So, I had to start back at the beginning, work through my symptoms again and get used to a new kind of IBS. I missed a lot of school, and spent quite a while feeling sorry for myself. Eventually, once I relaxed about it and decided that, darn it, I was just going to GO places, no matter how I felt, it got better.

So, in a very roundabout, rambling way, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I cope by saying, "Ok, I feel crappy, and I don't really want to go anywhere. Too bad." I make sure I'm prepared for anything (you should see the stashes of Immodium in my purses!), I carry safe snacks in case I'm stuck somewhere, and I religiously follow the diet and take my fiber. Beyond that, I figure it's not in my hands and I'm not going to let IBS dictate what I do. Sometimes, yes, I crash and have to just lie on the couch with my heating pad and watch TV. Most of the time, though, I find that if I soldier on, I'll be ok.

Hang in there, Anthem.

-Emily

ADBs! lol new
      #192110 - 07/06/05 06:25 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Seriously - I count the blessings I have. Like before I found this board and Heather's eating plan -- I had nearly no good days. I couldn't go out to eat without fear of being in the bathroom for sure - and I was 60 pounds heavier. Now I have a bunch of cool recipes (like the beloved anti-depressant brownies - which are easy and yummy!) -- a wonderful support system - the good days way outnumber the bad days - I know why my body is doing what it is - and how to manage it (mostly)... Instead of dwelling on the neagtives that are still around - I try and focus on the positives that are there. It has been worse -- and there are people around me who have it worse. My sister has cancer. It's hard to feel too badly about my gas & bloating when she is fighting cancer. It keeps it all in perspective for me. I still want to get better - and it still hurts and gets me down sometimes -- but I know that I've come a long way and have a lot to be thankful for.

#192156 - 07/06/05 07:40 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I hear what you are saying it took me awhile to accept this and to move on. I was having so many bad days that out numbered the good days but now it is the reverse. Anti-depressants help and so does going to a counslor. I also believe that having family and friends around help. I know they don't know what you are going through but most of the time they are there for you and can listen to you. I have a great friend who was the one who suggested I get the counsling and he also would sit and listen and let me cry whenever I needed to.

I know this will never go away but learning to deal with it helps. This website and message board also helps. I love it here and love all the advice and knowing that any time you write there is someone here who is more than willing to help.

I have been stable now for 8 months so I know that if I can do it so can you. Just remember this could be worse it could be cancer and I just keep reminding myself of that. Though at times it is hard to think about that but I try.

Keep thinking this will get better. If I can be of any help please do not hesitate to write and ask.

I sure hope you get better and just remember the good days will out number the bad days.

--------------------
Michelle

#192375 - 07/06/05 02:30 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I agree with what the others have said. It's a day to day thing. What usually gets me out of a rut is reminding myself that IBS isn't life threatening and that there are so many others out there suffering more than I am. My sister has diverticulitis and just found out that she could have to have part of her colon and her spleen removed. Learning that really helped me put my IBS into perspective.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#192378 - 07/06/05 02:35 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I swear alot, either when I can't eat something or when I'm writhing in pain because I did.
Seriously,you just get used to it. Years ago I gave up smoking and now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. You just do what you have to.

Carol

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Not very well-nt new
      #192472 - 07/06/05 06:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Not very well-nt new
      #192502 - 07/06/05 09:45 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I keep thinking it will go away if I get my mind off it. I was sick in the past for about 3 years but different symptoms. I felt like throwing up 24/7. Dropped out of school, couldn't work, was addicted to Gravol. I was depressed and I've always been slightly suicidal. I don't think I'd ever have the guts but it's always a thought in the back of my mind. I hate being sick, especially without a reason.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20279

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review