All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does Gut send Anxiety to the brain?
      #191847 - 07/05/05 11:52 AM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

We are probably all accustomed to the fact that when we are stressed, it travels from the brain to the gut, causing problems. But does it work the other way? I am beginning to believe so. Does anyone have any feelings on this?

Example: I had a week where I was feeling very tense and sad and scared, but for no logical reason. Then my "D" flared up. I just wonder if the gut was communicating irritation to the brain before it manifested in IBs symptoms? I'm beginning to wonder if when I get such a special inexplicable tension, if I should pop an Immodium and see if it stops! Yesterday I was having this sensation and I got "D" and popped 2 Immodiums. A surprising result was that my emotions soon balanced, and I have felt calm ever since. So now I think the gut is controlling my emotions at times!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Gut send Anxiety to the brain? new
      #191850 - 07/05/05 11:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Def. sounds plausable to me! Iwould love to have reearch done on this! Any chance you are studying to be a doctor?

Very interesting idea to say the least! I def. think there's validity to it...can't wait to hear other's opinions as well!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Interesting! new
      #191862 - 07/05/05 12:09 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Another way of looking at it I guess is that maybe your body...and your subconscious...knew you were heading for an attack...which was making you subconsciously stressed? So heading off the attack took away the stress.

Anyway, if you can predict attacks, cool!

PS. Have you considered taking Immodium daily as a preventative?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1707 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review