All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Irregular sleeping, eating times...trigger?
      #191546 - 07/04/05 04:05 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My IBS-D has been somewhat stable for awhile now (with the help of Immodium when I feel an attack coming on). I started my vacation this weekend (yeah!) and have been staying up late, sleeping late, and eating at odd times--breafast at noon, lunch at 5:00, dinner at 9 PM. Gee, could this have triggered my latest bout of D? Does anyone else have this problem if you don't sleep enough hours or you eat at irregular times?

Several months ago, before this latest episode, I was battling the D and losing weight to the point where people thought I was anorexic. I would stop eating at those times, and then start the bland diet. Now I just forge ahead and keep eating with the help of Immodium. I'm slowly gaining back the weight.

However, I've been having irregular heartbeats and wonder if this could be caused by a lack of nutrients. I've had tests done on my heart and nothing is conclusive for a heart problem. Any thoughts?

You guys are great. Happy 4th!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Irregular sleeping, eating times...trigger? new
      #191547 - 07/04/05 04:29 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Definitely a trigger. The gastrocolic reflex becomes accustomed to a cycle of food/rest so that it may absorb and cleanse itself of waste. I know when my sleep is deprived, I'm more subject to D and pain. Sleep deprivation/irregularity is a stressor.

Re: Inconclusive irregular heartbeat feedback.

Anxiety/panic gets my heart leaping bounds and out of its chest. Also, if you're suffering from D, your electrolytes could be a factor. Get lots of POTASSIUM and sodium to keep those electrolytes in balance--regulates heartbeat.

Thanks! -nt new
      #191550 - 07/04/05 04:45 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

#191613 - 07/04/05 09:06 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Can't really give any feedback on the heart thing... but irregular eating/sleeping times are probably my *biggest* trigger now that I've cut out all the trigger foods. Well, that and eating too much at one sitting.

I totally know where you're coming from with the D attacks, immodium, people thinking you're anorexic - I've been there! But yeah, my body really responds well to a regular routine - without one, it's really hard for me to get stabilized. Hope that helps!

Yes, yes, yes!! new
      #191621 - 07/04/05 10:06 PM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

I work at a store where our shifts change everyday. Love my job, but I never have a routine to fall into. Today I went to work at 2 p.m., tomorrow is 7 a.m. I always notice that I have more problems with pain and bloating during the early morning shifts.

I too just got back from vacation. I was fairly stable throughout the trip, but on the flight back (which was at 5:30 in the morn), the D started and lasted for days. I found that hitting the gym every other day helped get my body back in sync.

--------------------
Lins

Hey LindsayK... new
      #191622 - 07/04/05 10:08 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm a dog fanatic from Austin too. Glad to see you on the boards!

Re: Hey LindsayK... new
      #191624 - 07/04/05 10:14 PM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

It's hard not to be a dog lover in this town! Before I moved here I was a big city girl. Now I spend my free time taking the pooches to the park.

I've only been on the IBS diet for a few months. Any favorite restaurants in town that are safe for you?

Cheers

--------------------
Lins

#191739 - 07/05/05 09:00 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

oh yeah- and if I wait too long to eat it will go right through- so needless to say- sometimes I eat when I am not hungry

Re: Yep! new
      #191749 - 07/05/05 09:16 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Digby!

I think any significant change in sleep and eating habits is a form of stress, which can then trigger an attack. Too bad, because I like to stay up late on weekends too.

I'm glad to hear you're taking care of yourself and gaining some weight back! I'm trying to gain some weight myself!

I haven't experienced irregular heartbeats, but I know that when I'm having severe anxiety or a panic attack my heart races and I get the shakes. Is there a pattern to your irregular heartbeats? You don't have a heart murmur or anything?

I've been trying to control the exact same triggers new
      #191751 - 07/05/05 09:17 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I've been having bad IBS attacks and terrible nausea lately, and I think I have pinned them down to my eating and sleeping habits. They began when I had to get up at 4am for my flight to Seattle last weekend on an empty stomach, and haven't let up at all.

This past weekend they worsened when I went to bed late and woke up late, just like you. The only advice I can give (which I'm going to try to follow this week) is to go to bed at a set time and wake yourself up at a set time.

Also, try to eat several meals a day. I had some cream of rice earlier this morning, and will have some saltine crackers for a snack in about an hour. Then lunch, another snack, dinner, and maybe a little sorbet if I'm good after I get home from school tonight.

As for the heart problems, I'm not sure I can help you there. Hopefully someone else can.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#191761 - 07/05/05 09:27 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I can't help with the heart problem, unfortunately. But I will say that not enough sleep is one of my biggest triggers for D! I may be able to pull off one night where I don't get the 8-9 hours I usually do, but more than one night of less than 8-9 hours of sleep, and I have D and am incredibly nauseous!

I second Jennifer Rose's suggestion of setting yourself a sleep schedule, keep it up, even on weekends. The only time I usually allow myself to sleep in more is when I'm sick with a cold or something. I know if I sleep in too much on weekends, I end up feeling icky all day because I've thrown off my eating cycle.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Hey LindsayK... new
      #191785 - 07/05/05 09:57 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Have you been to Casa de Luz? It's all vegan- if you avoid the lettuce they usually have really yummy safe soup and veggies for dinner.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1237

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review