Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How to introduce wholegrain foods???
      #191414 - 07/04/05 06:35 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi All
I'd like to start introducing wholegrain foods such as granary bread, nuts, more fruit and veg. I am concerned that these food will make me ill. How can I have some granary bread without making myself ill?

I read that you can have some white bread or roll first but how much do I need to have before I can have a roll or slice of brown bread?

Also, is it safe to eat fruit and veges at every meal and how can I do this safely?

I'm feeling very run down and know my diet could help me feel much better.

Any advice I can receive is much appreciated.

Thanks
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to introduce wholegrain foods??? new
      #191442 - 07/04/05 09:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Personally, I would try mixing 1/2 serving of brown rice with 1/2 serving of white rice. Heather says Brown Rice is probably the most tolerable "IF grain". If this goes down okay, try eating all brown rice.

If you want to try the bread, I know some people eat a piece of white bread with 1/2 their sandwhich, and then eat the second half with one that is more whole grain.

As far as fruits and veggies go, I don't think anyone can explain it better than Heather herself! web page . Have you checked out Heathers website thoroughly? Click on the link to the left that says IBS Diet and Recipes. It explains in great detail how important it is to eat soluble fiber before eating insoluble fiber and how peeling and cooking your fruits and veggies first can make them more tolerable.

After you get used to eating fruits and veggies more, perhaps you can start experimenting to see which ones you might be able to eat with the skin on or without pureeing. I am currently trying to eat unpeeled, fresh nectarines. The peel is a lot softer than say, an apple, so I thought this would be a better fruit to experiment on.

It also may depend on if you are a D or a C. We all need insolubles, especially fruits and veggies...but the C folks need more of them, it seems, to help keep the BMs coming!

Personally, I eat a fruit or a veggie at every meal. For breakfast I have either a baked apple or cooked papaya to my cream of brown rice cereal, along with some flax. Oh, that's another insoluble you may want to try since it is 1/2 insoluble and 1/2 soluble. For lunch, I usually have some homemade carrot/squash/sweet potato/pumpkin/parsnip soup or some cooked zucchini on my sandwhich. For a snack, I eat 3 or 4 white rice crackers first, then my unpeeled nectarine. I don't know if that is enough Soluble fiber first, but it is what I am trying. For dinner, I always have a cooked veggie. If I am having a Soluble based carb, like white rice noodles or quinoa, I'll have an Insoluble based veggie, like spinach, pureed or cooked green beans. If I am having a more IF carb, like millet or brown rice pasta, I will have a SF veggie, like cooked pumpkin, squash, or peeled zucchini. The peeling makes it SF.

If you had Heather's Eating for IBS Book, she gives sample daily menus at the back of the book, and every meal for the day usually contains either a fruit or a veggie, sometimes both...That's why I figured it was okay for me.
HTH

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

One more thought new
      #191443 - 07/04/05 09:24 AM
Augie

If you want to do all brown rice instead of mixing them, maybe start the meal off with a white roll to get your SF buffer. Or take a SFS, like fibercon or acacia to act as your SF buffer.

--------------------
~ Beth

Well... new
      #191449 - 07/04/05 09:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you should already be eating plenty of the sf veg and fruit. Are you A, D or C? If you have any leaning to D, I'd stay away from wholegrain stuff for now (unless you want to try some brown rice after SF - as beth says it's pretty well tolerated). TRy something like the zucchini bread, which is so safe, some frozen peas, well cooked zucchini (with the skin - the main if source), raisins with oatmeal, etc. IMHO these are all pretty easy to tolerate.

BETH! I just have to say... new
      #191452 - 07/04/05 10:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am SO PORUD OF YOU!!!!!!! Look how WELL you're doing...I wish I could send you a RED RIBBON!

WOW! You ROCK ON!!!!!

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie new
      #191455 - 07/04/05 10:09 AM
Augie

I took a stab at it...wasn't even sure I knew what I was saying!

I guess I got it right...just don't know why it doesn't work for me personally! I'm still hurting and big time symptoms, my friend.

Did I really get this right in my post? Guess maybe I understand the concept but just can't figure out my own tolerances...foods, amounts of IF that is manageable for me personally, etc.

I guess the general concept of how to eat is simply enough, but fine tweaking it to fit your own needs is the part I'm struggling with. Plus, trying to figure out supplements and doses on those is hard too. For instance, I have yet to find an SFS that I can take, I'm still experimenting with flax oil tablets and flax meal, magnesium doses, etc..

Thanks for the Red Ribbon though. But I'm afraid I can spit it out, but can't seem to put it into use for myself.
Love and hugs to you, sweet Ruchie!

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth... new
      #191474 - 07/04/05 12:12 PM
Linz

...have you tried Slippery Elm instead of a SFS? It's not fibre, but it forms a gel like SF...I know Amy takes it as SFSs don't agree with her.

Re: Well...for Linz or Beth new
      #191490 - 07/04/05 12:40 PM
Niki J

Thanks for the tips. I would say I am IBS A, currently I have cheerios for breakfast sometimes with fruit if Im having a good day, a probiotic drink on the cheerios. Rice cakes as snacks, Lunch is white roll or sandwich, either tuna mayo or plain, savoury rice cakes with it sometimes, or crisps if Im daring. Afternoon snack rice cake with peeled apple. I find I can tolerate gala apples as they are softer. Tea is meat or fish or veggie thing with mash potatoes/rice/pasta with veges or baked beans in tom sauce.

What do you think??
I'm worried my diet is bad I do add in junk food sometimes, I wondered if that is why I have low energy because I am not getting enough goodness???

Please help!
Niki
xxxx

#191507 - 07/04/05 01:23 PM
Linz

Well it sounds liek you should be getting enough protein which was my first thought. How much water are you drinking?

Baked beans can be problematic so if you get gassy, try cutting those out. Your probiotic drink...that's soy, not dairy, yeah?

Check your calorie totals for the day - it can be easy to eat too little when you're really low fat.

I'd try adding some more fruit and veg in now. Some fruit at brekkie is a good idea, although Cherios do contain quite alot of IF so be careful. And try having cucumber (with skin, but sliced finely) in your tuna sandwich - I found I coped well with that very early on.

#191511 - 07/04/05 01:45 PM
Niki J

Thanks Linz
The probiotic is diary but it doesnt seem to affect me. I didnt know you could get soy ones?

I cant tolerate cucumber at all or lettuce only tomatoes. Hmm good idea I could put them in my sandwich!

I drink a lot of water every day, I only drink that and cranberry juice but mostly water. If I go out or am celebrating I might have a fruit juice.

Drink suggestions would be good if you have any, I cant stand herbal teas I tried fruit tea once but didnt like it any recommendations on how long to brew it etc??

Thanks
Niki
xxx

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1279

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review