All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
What foods are high in silica? new
      #191350 - 07/03/05 08:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have lots of hair loss and maybe increasing my silica would help.

I've been taking the flax oil capsules for about 2 weeks now. While I think they are helping the C, I fear that my tummy aches have gotten worse. I just feel really tender and bruised all the time...unsettled. Different from spasms and constipation pain. But I don't want to stop if it means losing my BMs! Ugh, what's an IBSer to do!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nope... new
      #191411 - 07/04/05 06:22 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's low calorie diets that contribute to hair loss... because you end up lacking all kinds of other nutrients as well. My hair thinned when I wasn't eating, and it's thickening back up now that I'm back to eating as normally as I can be.

Stress will do it too, ya know.

Exactly... new
      #191470 - 07/04/05 11:59 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

A really low fat diet (20g is about what I get everyday too) can be rather deficient in Vitamin E, mostly (I take a multivitamin). E is really important to have nice looking hair, i.e. healthy and shiny. Same with skin.

But it's a diet deficient in OVERALL calories and nutrients that'll lead to your hair falling out (of course, there are many other reasons that one's hair may fall out.)

Personally I've never had any problems on a low-fat diet with losing hair or any other problems with my skin or hair in general -- I think I have pretty healthy hair and skin, actually. (Then again, I've never treated or dyed my hair or anything and I'm careful with sun exposure for my skin, so that probably helps.)

I feel that this is a good amount of fat for me - I have enough energy, I feel healthy, and I'm not having IBS attacks. Works for me!

Re: How do you low fat people new
      #191551 - 07/04/05 04:53 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hair loss can also be a result of low stomach acidity.

Re: Nope... new
      #191552 - 07/04/05 04:54 PM
Wind

Stress depletes your B vitamin stores and that really shows up in your hair!!!

Re: What foods are high in silica? new
      #191554 - 07/04/05 05:11 PM
Wind

Here are some quick notes re: Silica

--It's a mineral. It forms 28 percent of the Earth's surface.
--It is present in clay, sand, rocks, sea water, fibers of plants.
--It is not in animal products whatsoever!
--It combines with calcium, phosphorus and potassium to build bones,teeth, hair, nails, etc. You're tissues/skin, too.
--IT PREVENTS BONE THINNING!!! ***I have reversed my osteopenia through consuming and supplementing with silica in food and via collidal silica gel!
--stomach acidity plays a role in silica absorption/bone thinning.
--It is in the skins/coverings of foods, predominantly. It is in wholegrains, i.e. potatoe coverings, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, leafy greens, sprouts, herbs, wholegrains.

A fast reference guide for silica content/100g:

oat flour/1150 mg
garden cress/610 mg
wheat bran/68 mg
rice (wholemeal)/40 mg
spinach/27 mg
beetroot/25 mg
parsley/13mg
raisons/12 mg
green beans/10mg
dill, bananas/8mg
leeks, tomatoes/6mg
carrots/1-8 mg
currants (black)/3mg

It exists in significant amounts in strawberries, grapes onions, parsnips, apples (skins), raw almonds/raw sunflower seeds, alfalfa, bean sprouts, flax seeds, horsetail.

So, that's the basics of silica. Think leafy dark green, and whole grain and skins to ameliorate the fibers--yes, we humans are made of insoluable fibers--of your being.

IBS makes this challenging, so don't stress yourself out. I'm not recommending anything to anyone, just informing. I personally don't eat unrefined grains.

They recommend 10-40mg/day for the average adult. It's not that hard to come by. If you're deficient, like I was, you might want more. I'm living the difference--better/stronger bones and HAIR!!! Hair, glorious hair....something to wash every morning and shake dry...call Warren Beatty, s.v.p.

Re: Grains with silica... new
      #191559 - 07/04/05 05:24 PM
Wind

Those are the real thing, baby! They are unrefined. Way to go, Ruchie--you're lucky you can tolerate such things. You're getting lots of silica.

Thanks, Kate new
      #191581 - 07/04/05 06:56 PM
Augie

You should be a dietician or a nutritionist!

So what high content silica foods do you eat? I have to stay GF so oat and bran are out for sure...and I can't do whole grain rice, potato skins, onions, grapes, apple skins,seeds, cucumbers...

What is garden cress? Is that the same as Watercress?

Finally, what is this silica gel you mentioned? Is it something you eat? Where do you get it from and what company makes it? I need some silica help big time if it helps hairs, nails, and my osteoporosis!

Please help. thank you so much. you are so nice to do this!

--------------------
~ Beth

Would a B vitamin help if stress is the culprit? new
      #191584 - 07/04/05 06:58 PM
Augie

I thought vitamins were too rough for me though. Hard on the tummy.

I have major stress, and losing hair like crazy. I want my locks back.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Would a B vitamin help if stress is the culprit? new
      #191656 - 07/05/05 05:45 AM
Wind

Beth: those B complex vitamins are too hard for me to swallow and I feel really nauseated and vomit them up. I DERIVE MY B's from food. I haven't tried any liquid B formulas, though.
Liquid Cal/Mag works for me, thought. I was anemic for the longest time, not just iron deficient but what is formerly known as pernicious anemia. It's when you have dangerously low levels of folic acid and B12. I just go for B12 shots periodically, now and EAT THE REST of my vitamins. Now, I'm
less stressed out and have HAIR and energy.

If your tummy is really weak, and it sounds like it is...I think they'd make you puke.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1847 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review