All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Huh... new
      #191239 - 07/03/05 11:47 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You know, I never looked at the ingredients on the FF one I use, but I'm ultra-sensitive to dairy, and the Kraft FF mayo doesn't bother me, so I keep using it. Mind you, we're talking maybe once a week, in potato or macaroni salad, anyway. I'm not much of a mayo eater.

I have no idea the fat content in 1/2 tsp of any nut butter because I suck at math. I'll trust you if you say it's that low. That probably wouldn't bother me, but peanut butter specifically has always given me problems if I eat it more than one day in a row, even tiny amounts. This is something that went on long before my IBS problems. I don't think I'm allergic, and it may not even be because of the fat, I just think it's another one of my stupid intolerances, like bell peppers and oregano.

Your fat calories are definitely low enough, by the way. You could probably even experiment going a little higher.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Actually, they used to be much lower new
      #191244 - 07/03/05 12:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've only recently increased them in the form of flax meal and flax oil tablets, in the last week or so. Otherwise, I'd be even lower!

The flax is an attempt to increase BMs! But I've been having tummy problems in the form of "soreness" and feeling unsettled and lose, incomplete stools. Perhaps the fat is too much...or maybe it's the flax.

Have you ever tried the low fat PB? Or if peanuts are the problem, perhaps cashew or almond butter would be okay in small amounts.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Kate, that sounds too low new
      #191247 - 07/03/05 12:29 PM
Augie

I know we must have some fat as there are fat soluble vitamins that need fat to be absorbed. Plus, I am losing hair like crazy and I attribute part of this to low fat diet.

Plus, being a C, Heather suggests fat is needed to "lubricate" the colon for evacuation.

It's just so hard to find a balance between the fat becoming a trigger and getting enough to be healthy and help bowel movements. This is another balancing act...like trying to figure out the safe amount of IF we can handle to stay regular without going too high to become problmatic.

--------------------
~ Beth

amount of fat... new
      #191276 - 07/03/05 03:21 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I usually get around 10%, though I do try to get more when I can, safely, to around 15%. I never add oils when I cook though and I don't even eat the light margarines or mayos or anything... I'm just used to eating that way now, I guess. Usually my added oils come from nuts, chopped up.

Re: Kate, that sounds too low new
      #191302 - 07/03/05 05:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth:

I agree; my fat intake is really low. I'm a D, though, and fat is a major trigger. I am accustomed, now, not to "lubricating" my food or my colon. My hair is coming in great, now--mind you my skin is always "parched" but by drinking lots of water, etc. and eating veggies/fruits, that is disappearing. My diet is high in silica, now, and it show in my hair, skin, nails. If anything, I'm absorbing more nutrients, versus having it all "mudslide" through me.
I guess, some people's systems go haywire with "lubrication." As I said, the fat I eat naturally exists in the food itself and when I tally it all up it's less than 10
percent. I feel great. That's what counts. I don't feel sick anymore with a stomach full of grease that throws me for a loop. I get enough natural vitamin E from food itself.

Those "fat pills" i.e. flax, hemp, borage, evening primrose all made me "burp" and gave me such bad stomach acid, too. Also, the caps. really irritated my stomach. It gave me the most vile breath and stink as well. Remember though, I've got one of those noses!

Edited by Wind (07/03/05 05:41 PM)

#191307 - 07/03/05 05:49 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How much silica do you get a day Kate? Also...does B-12 have fat in it? I think I get TOO MUCH oil...which makes my GERD a MESS! And not enough B12 which is wreaking havoc all over my body! I found B-12 dots at the HFS today but they had gluten in them I think...so I stayed away. Any other ideas on this?

Thanks for this post on fats..i'm learning so much!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#191318 - 07/03/05 06:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

B12 is fat-free. Although, if you try to get your B12 from food, there often is fat involved as it's in animal food only.
Lean protein, however (i.e. fish/poultry) is quite lowfat.

What do you mean by "B12 dots?" You're not talking about the strips that dissolve on the tongue, are you? THOSE HAVE SORBITOL in them and are NASTY! You can get vegan B12 caps. without gluten and junk in them. Note, though, that they are absorbed by intestinal bacteria and that proton pump inhibitors and stomach acidity problems can iterfere with the absorption of B12. I go for shots as I just don't absorb it.

Re: Silica
I don't know exactly how much I consume daily, but more than
the minimum. I eat lots of green veggies/beets/carrots, etc. It's in grains, too. However, note that those grains are unrefined grains. Mostly I get it either from veggies or from collidal silica gel.

I worry about your fat intake and GERD, too. Be cautious.
High fat foods are GERD triggers.

Grains with silica... new
      #191319 - 07/03/05 06:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I only eat brown rice, quinoa, polenta, millet, and such. Are these unrefined...what does that mean? Thanks Kate! You are our walking nutritionist!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

yes I think there is some difference with C and D people and fat amount- nt new
      #191330 - 07/03/05 07:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

How do you low fat people new
      #191348 - 07/03/05 08:25 PM
Augie

keep such good heads of hair! I've been blaming my hair loss on my low fat diet. I get maybe 20 grams a day on a high day.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2994 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review