All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamins and about my trip to Europe
      #190074 - 06/29/05 07:17 AM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

Okay, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me tips before i went to Europe for two weeks....I have to say that i had a really hard time there with the food. Thank God I brought some graham crackers and pretzels, because I would have starved. I just really didn't eat because i would rather be hungry than be sick, but my friend thought I was being anorexic and said i had a eating disorder because I barely eat anyway...etc etc (even though she knows why i don't eat!!) But I am kinda worried about myself cause recently in the past month, I really don't eat a lot..only Noodles, tuna, graham crackers, bread, apples, and thats like it...thats not healthy..ya know?? My main question is that I am trying to get to (excuse the rambling) was if I can take vitamins- do certain ones irritate the stomach? I just need to start taking something cause I'm missing out on a lot of nutrients that I need. Thanks..if anyone has an answer or just a comment- I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamins and about my trip to Europe new
      #190117 - 06/29/05 08:43 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

I take One-A-Day Essential (vitamins, no minerals). If you Search on "vitamin" (don't use the quotes) on the Diet Board with no time limit, you should get a lot of hits to see what other people are taking.

I also strongly urge you to take a calcium supplement. If I remember correctly, you're quite young and from what I understand, current research emphasizes the importance of getting enough calcium in your teens, 20's, and early 30's. I take Tums, but there is some sentiment that this is not a good idea. Again, you should do a Search to see what other people have to say (try, "calcium supplement", don't use the quotes). Different forms of calcium can have different effects on your digestive tract. Also, I believe it is crucial to start at a very low dose and go up very slowly.

You do need to add more foods to your diet. With a good SF base and an SFS, you should be able to start adding more protein, IF, and fats safely. Start small, go slowly, cook, puree, chop like crazy to start with, but you really need to eat a wider variety of foods. I don't see whether you're D, C, A, or P, but if you're worried about food triggering a D attack, consider using Immodium until you get your diet straightened out.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Vitamins new
      #190246 - 06/29/05 12:53 PM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

I take a childrens chewable vitamin with iron (the Walmart store brand). Iron may bother some people, but I am ok with it. Also, make sure the chewables don't have sorbitol in them. I also take Caltrate calcium pills (in the purple & white box). Hope that helps.
Kristi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review