All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these foods Soluable Fibre or Something else?
      #189987 - 06/28/05 07:56 PM
David Hilton

Reged: 06/14/05
Loc: Australia

Starting this diet has brought me accross a couple of foods I'm not sure about. I'm still waiting for my book to arrive from the US and they may not be in it and I didn't see them on the website.

Are these foods soluable fibre?

Puppodums? (ingredients: gram flour, salt, raising agent, rice flour, sunflower oil.

Prawn crackers? (prawn meat and I think tapioca flour?)

Does anyone else have any 'unlisted' soluable foods they know about?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these foods Soluable Fibre or Something else? new
      #189993 - 06/28/05 08:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I would be careful with them. The prawn crackers are probably safe enough to snack on, but I wouldn't use them as a primary source of soluble fiber. The puppodum... not so sure. As far as I know, gram flour is a finely ground whole wheat flour, which would make them more INsoluble than soluble. Also, I'm not sure how much oil is in them, but fat content is something else to watch out for.

Re: Are these foods Soluable Fibre or Something else? new
      #190022 - 06/29/05 04:03 AM
David Hilton

Reged: 06/14/05
Loc: Australia

I too thought Gram Flour was originally wheat based, but the label says gluten free and the labelling laws here are very strict when it comes to gluten free...I'm a coeliac and didn't seem to react to it before (but I want to make sure it is soluable).I'm looking for more snack oriented items for soluable fibre as I have the added difficulty of being gluten-free.

Gram flour new
      #190200 - 06/29/05 11:47 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I believe gram flour is from chickpeas/garbanzos. Here's a reference I found: http://www.answers.com/topic/gram-flour.

Re: Gram flour new
      #190234 - 06/29/05 12:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think gram flour, being ground up, along with the rice flour in the poppadums would be enough SF to outway any IF in the food itself. But I would be careful eating them with a lot of IF foods thinking it was a base. I hope this makes sense.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 654

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review