All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia vs. Citrucel
      #189874 - 06/28/05 02:24 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

Can someone either point me to a thread that answers this question or post here please?? Is acacia better? Why? If you already take 3-4 doses of citrucel a day how do you make the switch?
Thanks!!

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia vs. Citrucel new
      #189942 - 06/28/05 05:36 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Whatever works for YOU is what's going to be better. Unfortunately, one SFS that works great for one person won't work for another.

I switched from Citrucel to Acacia. The first time I tried, I didn't really take to it too well. Now, I'm fine with it. I think I took too much. I only take 1 tsp of acacia a day (I know, not much, but it's what works for me). When I was taking Citrucel, I took 2 T 2x a day.

Hope that helps and doesn't make it more confusing!

#189985 - 06/28/05 07:44 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

It's really up to you. (Or rather your body) Some people do better on acacia - some people do better on citrucel - or benefiber - or one of the other SFS. I thought acacia was better so I tried to switch to it and it gave me trouble -- smelly gas, bloating... and dry, hard stools. Citrucel works better for me and comes in tablets which work great for travel.

If you do want to switch - and you are already taking fiiber - you should be able to take the same amount of whatever fiber you are switching to. (grams of fiber count - not tsp) If it becomes a problem you can try taking less -- or switch back.

#189992 - 06/28/05 08:21 PM
Patricia Buzo

So if the citrucel is working then it is fine to stay on it? What about mixing both for awhile then stopping the one you're trying to go off of?

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#190001 - 06/28/05 09:24 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Why are you trying to get off of Citrucel? Is it not working for you?

If one is working fine, then I wouldn't switch. I personally use citrucel for 80% of my SFS and acacia for the other 20% (I blend it into my morning protein shakes). I don't like using acacia for my entire SFS, but it works fine for one dose a day.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

With how tricky our IBS bodies are new
      #190028 - 06/29/05 04:45 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

if it isn't broken - why fix it? IF the Citrucel is working - I would keep using it. It's on;y if you are having trouble that I would switch. Mixing is a good idea too.

#190106 - 06/29/05 08:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's a link to Heather's SF FAQ. It explains the differences between SFS - basically, what each is made of. There is also a sticky post at the top of the Diet Board called "Acacia dosages - starting, increasing, switching from other fibers, and more" than might help with the conversion.

I agree, though, that if the Citrucel is working for you, there's no need to switch to Acacia.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#190123 - 06/29/05 08:53 AM
Patricia Buzo

Thank you for your responses!!!!! I got the impression acacia was better so I thought I should switch, but since the citrucel is working fine I guess I won't. Maybe I'll mix it since I have the acacia already. We'll see.
Thanks again!!

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#190159 - 06/29/05 10:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you taking the tablets or the powder? How many grams are you taking per dose?

Maybe you just need more if you aren't having bad side effects (pain,bloat,gas) and are just hoping for better BMs?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Elizabeth? new
      #190160 - 06/29/05 10:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you take the caplets or the powder? I read in H's book that powder tends to work better. Did you have that experience?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review