All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rice cakes
      #189751 - 06/28/05 07:43 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Can anyone recommend a safe brand rice cake other than the one listed in the Safe Name Brand Post? I can't find the Genisoy brand, and the Lundberg brand I have is too much brown rice to be a safe plain snack

Maybe I'll just stick with white rice crackers.

I am a C so maybe the brown rice cakes would be okay? Anyone have any recommendations? When I did a search, I saw a lot of people post that they buy and eat rice cakes, but no brand name was given.

Thanks guys and gals!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: rice cakes new
      #189769 - 06/28/05 09:01 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm afraid I wouldn't recommended eating rice cakes if you have problems with brown rice. I got horribly ill after eating a Lunenberg rice cake a few years ago and I asked on this message board if there was a brand that was made strictly from white rice. The answer I got was "no" so I stay away from rice cakes altogether.

I haven't tried the rice crackers that you mentioned in a long while, but it seems to me they used to agree with me.

Another good type of "cracker" snack is (believe it or not) Yehuda matzoh, which is made from just white wheat flour and water. I carry it around with me quite often and it staves off hunger in between meals.

#189773 - 06/28/05 09:05 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As with Belinda, I would be REALLY careful with Rice Cakes. In Canada, anyway, they tend to add POPCORN as an additive and it just KILLS me. Popcorn is a terrible, harsh insoluble fibre which should be avoided if at all possible. The moral of the story: READ READ READ your labels. One brand may be just fine, and another may be just deadly.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I've seen lots without popcorn new
      #189775 - 06/28/05 09:16 AM
Cyndy

but none with white rice only. Even Quaker/Trader Joes/Store brand names have brown rice, even though they are lighter. Like Lundbergs is 20 grams per cake and Quaker is only 9 grams. So, I thought the Quaker would be safer since they are more Puffed.

When I did my search, I saw Laurel, Shannon, Kandee, and some others list this as a food they eat...so I know it's possible that there is a safe brand out there somewhere.

Thanks for your replies

Re: I've seen lots without popcorn new
      #189776 - 06/28/05 09:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Brown rice might be OK, it's one of the most tolerated insoluble fibers around. I would give it a try. Honestly, it may be the best bet you can get. Go for it, baby!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I actually eat the ones made with brown rice... new
      #189777 - 06/28/05 09:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and hardly anything else. As the rice is popped it doesn't seem to bother me much. I wouldn't eat them on an empty stomach if I was having an attack, but otherwise they;re just fine with me.

#190322 - 06/29/05 04:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I live on Lundenberg (sp) rice cakes and I am mostly C (sometimes D...a few times a year). It depends on the person. If you are stable I would try that without changing anything else in your diet.

HTH!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Nope, I'm not stable new
      #190362 - 06/29/05 06:52 PM
Cyndy

but I am a C! Boy, that sounded weird to say I wasn't stable. Might get me into a psych ward! Somedays I feel like I belong there! This crazy GI stuff gets to you after a while!

Thanks for your input Ruchie

i do ok with some of the quaker kinds, but i'm an A....nfm new
      #190376 - 06/29/05 07:37 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

#190691 - 06/30/05 02:58 PM
Phil-AZ

Reged: 04/16/05
Loc: Sunny AZ

I can't handle Lundberg rice cakes, but I eat a ton of Koyo foods Organic rice cakes. I don't know where you are located, but they are very difficult to find where I live.

Here is a link to their web site. Unfortunately, much of it is under construction, but they make the best rice cakes I have ever had, and the only ones I tolerate. I eat the plain unsalted. I would recomend staying away from the seaweed containing ones.

Koyo Foods

--------------------
Phil

#190791 - 07/01/05 03:53 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just can't tolerate any rice cakes anymore as they're all made with brown rice. I love them, but they do not like me. I do eat rice crackers, though and they are made of white rice flour. I'm seriously reconsidering my cereal of choice, organic puffed rice (Nature's Path) as it's made of brown rice.

Wind/Kate (IBS-D)

You know, I'm A, mostly C, and I eat even No name rice cakes all the time. new
      #190897 - 07/01/05 01:16 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Heather says that brown rice is the most easily tolerated IF ther eis. I love my rice cakes and have NEVER, even before I ws CLOSE to stable, had a reaction from any kind, even the cheese ones.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1073

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review