All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FRUIT
      #189426 - 06/27/05 07:59 AM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

Which fruits are safe? Which have the most problems for people like us? Are strawberries ok?

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FRUIT new
      #189427 - 06/27/05 08:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The Sf fruits are the safest: bananas, mangoes, papaya, applesauce.

With the others it varies, depending on their acidity and IF/SF content. ALWAYS eat them after SF tho. Personally, I do okay with strawberries in smallish portions after SF.

#189501 - 06/27/05 10:18 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There was actually quite a big discussion about IF/SF fruits and vegetables in a C-related thread recently. If I'm understanding correctly, some fruits classified as "insoluble" actually become soluble if you peel them - peaches, nectarines, apricots, apples, pears. I know that I was able to eat all of those, peeled, safely, right from the beginning.

I'd be careful with strawberries and other berries - the seeds make them "fibrous" - but I find I can eat plenty of them after or with SF. (Mmm, strawberry shortcake!) Other fruits that I'd be careful to eat SF before trying are pineapple and other citrus fruits, and things like grapes and cherries that are virtually impossible to peel.

I don't do good with melons, but that's just me. Try them after SF!

adding to that new
      #189505 - 06/27/05 10:28 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

All fruits are pretty ok if eaten with SF and eaten in moderation. Everyone varies with specific fruits that bother them. For me too many grapes, melons, strawberries have caused problems. Right now I am eating a sliced banana, diced mango and some strawberries with ginger snap crumbs. The bananas and mango being SF help me handle the berries.
Another thing, my husband swears that pears give him major gas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#189548 - 06/27/05 12:03 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I echo what others said on seeds making strawberries (on thier own) difficult. Another thing to keep in mind with fruit - high fructose content. I can't eat more than about a quater of a mango in one sitting. They're SO yummy and sometimes I indulge more - but I pay!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7605 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review