All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chips and snack food
      #18922 - 08/28/03 06:27 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Can anyone give me advice on what chips are out there that are safe to eat? I'm in college and crave junk food, I haven't had to many problems with Sun Chips, but was wondering what other snack foods would be alright.
I'm newly diagnosed IBS-D and am having a hard time figuring out what I can and can't eat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chips and snack food new
      #18923 - 08/28/03 06:30 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Baked Ruffles are good. Not the WOW chips, they have an ingredient in them that can cause diarrhea. Just the baked ones. I like to dip them in hummus or salsa. I've tried the Cheddar flavor, but prefer the plain ones because that's better for dipping!

#18924 - 08/28/03 06:32 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm also new to all this health food stuff, what exactly is hummus?

#18925 - 08/28/03 06:38 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It's a dip, Mediterrean I think, made from, don't gross out, mashed chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans) and other things such as garlic, lemon juice, spices, and an ingredient called tahini that tastes a little like peanut butter. It's good. I buy it in the grocery store in the section where they have the gourmet cheeses and spreads. If you have a Greek restaurant near you, they will usually have it. Just make sure to ask that the oil be left off, because they normally serve it in a bowl topped with olive oil. It's usually comes with warm pita bread for dipping. But sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I just use the Baked Ruffles. I could eat the whole container for lunch! It's low-fat and good for you.

#18936 - 08/28/03 07:08 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can also have the baked Tostitos. They're good with salsa or Heather has many great dips in Eating for IBS. The Fresh Tex-Mex Guacamole is my favorite.

#18975 - 08/29/03 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I really like cinnamon graham crackers (the low fat ones) and I forget the brand, sorry, but I buy these soy crisps, they came in a bbq thats really good and the onion is yummy too. Some of the flavors, like the ranch, have dairy so be sure to check the ingredients. Black bean dip is also good to dip the baked tostitos in! I personally eat lots of hummus and pita bread, you should really try it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#18981 - 08/29/03 08:57 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I love GeniSoy's Soy Crisps. They're amazingly low in fat and cals, and have tons of flavor. My faves are BBQ and Ranch.

--------------------
~jules

#19013 - 08/29/03 12:15 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I love sun chips too but they have lots of insoluble fiber in them. Try baked lay's, and baked tostitos. Dip them in a soy dip or salsa.
I am personally addicted to Heather's crunchy pizza party snack mix (see recipe exchange). It's incredibly easy and cheap to make and it's so yummy.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#19028 - 08/29/03 01:29 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Just as a note, the BBQ Baked Lays have casein in them. Boo.

--------------------
~jules

#19033 - 08/29/03 02:10 PM
EmilyL

Reged: 07/29/03
Loc: Utah

I like the Baked Ruffles. graham crackers, I usually eat regular graham crackers (does that count as fast food?) There is an Indian take-out by my work. I have discovered the papadam (spelling?) Which are baked lentil waifers. I usually either eat them plain or with mint chutney. At my house we had always done the Tostitos, so I was delighted to find that I didn't have to change those.

I didn't much care for the Quaker rice cakes and rice/corn wafers. the Carmel apple ones have dairy :P and the sour cream onion were too salty for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3303

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review