All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
my story
      #189163 - 06/25/05 11:33 PM
Eliyahu

Reged: 06/25/05

Hello! I've been meaning for a long time to post my "story" and see what y'all think of it. Back some 5 years ago I was away from home (22 now) and then and b/f hand I never really thought about bathroom matters. In that vein one lunch I really ate alot, w/ greasy food, and then hopped into a van going somewhere. In the car I felt bad diarrhea, decided to jump off at a gas station and...basically didn't get there in time. Cleaned myself as best as I could taxied back home, showered, etc. Since then I've been paranoid of going in cars. I had two other incontinent episodes, once like 4? years ago once a few months ago (I was sick in crutches if it helps). I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago when complaining (especially after eating greasy food) of C/D-meaning I would have D but not feel like I was done. It's more socially annoying than anything, that when I take trips or is away from a bathroom but ate, I get these panic attacks, usually until I take some immodium or get distracted.
I tried hypnosis tapes but want to try again - didn't sleep so consistently but I did keep to them. I want to start dating soon and what this IBS over with! hehe. I think hypnosis would be good b/c in my case alot of it is definitely in my mind - if I stay home near a bathroom I never give thought to it but if I am away from home I jump to one all the time. I was thinking of doing hypnosis again, cutting greasy food, sleeping, going for walks after eating to train myself to not freak (strangely, subway and walks alone don't freak me out as much as 1) w/ ppl and 2) in cars w/ ppl)
Also Heather's book mentioned that you take immodium b/f hand, aside from feeling somewhat gross afterwards I wouldn't mind at all just taking that b/f going somewhere is this safe, coz the package says to take only if you have D?
Thanks for taking the time to read this, as I said I've been meaning to for awhile, my case seemed so atypical (so many people have it MUCH worse) but hearing michael mahoney and help for IBS books mention other ppl who are paranoid of going out makes me feels not so weird. sorry for such long post will send b/f I change my mind now!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my story new
      #189165 - 06/26/05 01:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Firstly, I REALLY recommend you sort out your diet! Greasy food is so bad for you even w/out IBS!

And start a SFS...these are so helpful. I'm an A too and I like Acacia.

Have you tried the hypno program that you can buy from here? That's got a great track record with IBS. Lots of people with IBS get anxiety and phobias...it's totally normal.

Ignore the instructions on the Immodium packets...they just don't apply to IBSers. Taking it everyday as a preventative is fine and it works especially well this way. Try starting on 1 tablet every morning and see how you do...you can always increase the dose from there.

Good luck!

#189174 - 06/26/05 06:13 AM
Eliyahu

Thanks for the help! Ya I bought that particalar hypnotherapy tapeset and went through it, I plan to start another cycle today. I think it helped at the time but I'm back where I started, I think I need to force a normal sleeping schedule on myself. That said, the "right" to use immodium is a relief, woow hoo! I've always avoided it until the last moment it tends to make me constipated.
Thanks
Also with the greasy food - I usually have a very non-greasy diet but sometimes just didn't pay attention when I didn't feel too bad.
thanks again

#189178 - 06/26/05 06:29 AM
Linz

Following Heather's diet guidelines should really help you btw.

And if you take Immodium as a preventative everyday, it usually lets you take a lower dose at any one time, so you can avoid getting C. Try just one, or even 1/2, a tablet in the morning.

#189196 - 06/26/05 08:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago when complaining (especially after eating greasy food) of C/D-meaning I would have D but not feel like I was done.

A feeling of incomplete evacuation ("not done", "like there's more in there") is a classic IBS symptom. Prior to Heather's diet I always felt that way and I consider myself a straight D, not a C/D or A (Alternating). That feeling gradually went away as I spent more time on Heather's diet and took enough SFS.

As for your being "strange", "atypical", or "weird", you're not. I'm much less anxious about having an IBS attack when I'm by myself than when I'm with other people - I think because I figure I'll be less embarassed if disaster does occur. As for cars, I actually wondered for years if what I had might be some bizarre form of motion sickness. Nope, just anxiety about being away from a bathroom. (Try listening to music while in a car - it helps me a little.) In fact, the only thing I find odd about your story is the fact that you CAN ride the subway - no matter how much better I am, I doubt I'll ever do that again.

I agree with Linz - try Heather's diet, SFS, and Immodium. The hypno tapes sound like a good idea to break the cycle of anxiety about attack leading to attack leading to more anxiety. Also, make sure you've had the appropriate tests to rule out other conditions that can mimic IBS. (You're young, so I assume you still have your gall bladder, yes?)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#189217 - 06/26/05 09:30 AM
Eliyahu

As far as I know I've got my gallbladder. All I really had was a rectal exam (fun!) to eliminate possibilities. The Immodium every day is new to me and am excited to test it! Otherwise I guess I just have to put the pieces together. In a way I felt weird b/c I could take the subway...but I only would usually fast the whole day first. Not always, but definitely on long trips. I lost a good amount of weight the time of my first diagnosis!
Thanks for listening I needed to get that story off my chest!

Sounds like you weren't properly diagnosed! new
      #189219 - 06/26/05 09:36 AM
Linz

You need ALOT more tests than just a rectal exam to get IBS diagnosed.

Ssounds like my doc new
      #189223 - 06/26/05 09:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been seeing him for 3 years and he hasn't even done a colonoscopy on me. I keep asking for one...but the man is a dimwit. Wait, I guess I'm the true dimwit for feeling I must stay with him out of loyalty.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Sounds like you weren't properly diagnosed! new
      #189226 - 06/26/05 10:04 AM
Eliyahu

uh-oh ...hmm I guess I should go to the doctor then! The thing is, like my story said, my problem started (or seemed to start) exactly when I had my accident, so it doesn't seem so physical a problem. I mean, I think I'll try to go to a doctor again soon, but in all probably it's IBS, no?

You MUST get properly diagnosed! new
      #189230 - 06/26/05 10:25 AM
Linz

It's so important. IBS can be mimicked by many other things, some of them horrible.

In the meantime, treat it as IBS re. diet, etc as that will still help, but get those tests done asap.

Re: You MUST get properly diagnosed! new
      #189244 - 06/26/05 01:17 PM
Eliyahu

k I will!

Re: Sounds like you weren't properly diagnosed! new
      #189245 - 06/26/05 01:26 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

A friend of mine seemed to get IBS unexpectedly (he thought it was after a stressful time when his wife had a car accident) but upon further looking into it he had a very serious infection in his internal cavity due to surgery from a while back. He was completely unable to work because of pain and D. He saw a naturalist and was not helped and it got dangerous. He finally did receive the needed help to be properly diganosed and treated. The naturalist was trying to fix him with herbs and diet change like no sugar! *Anyway it is so important to get properly diganosed especially if your symptoms are somewhat sudden.* (Mine have been gradual since childhood and I had an upper GI and small bowel follow through and Celiac test but nothing else. My GI doc felt that was enough for me with the family history I have and my classic symptoms.)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review