All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hating food and cooking...any ideas on how to enjoy it again?
      #188920 - 06/24/05 12:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

No gluten, no sugar, no meat, little fat, not too much fruit, no cucumbers, and very little money. And I have to cook for Shabbos...which means I prepare everything Friday for Friday night and all of Saturday...and I can't cook AT ALL after sundown Fri. night. ALL MY FOOD REQUIRES COOKING!

I just feel like living on beans and rice...

But I have to cook all these wonderful dishes for hubby...and I can't eat any of them! I just want to SCREAM!!!!

I know I'm not the only one in this position. But I can't take it. I needed to vent. Thank you for listening!

Have a happy Friday...I'm going to drink a LOT of water and take some Rescue Remedy..

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hating food and cooking...any ideas on how to enjoy it again? new
      #188926 - 06/24/05 12:24 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi - can you eat fish??

To be honest... new
      #188927 - 06/24/05 12:27 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...I don't agree with religion intefering with your health - and yours definitely seems to be.

Are you allowed to reheat stuff or not? And can't your hubby be a bit less needy so you don't have to stress about making alot of food you can't eat?

#188931 - 06/24/05 12:39 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Cold salads made with pasta...little fat, little fruit, no meat...the only idea I can reach for.

Sorry you are so frustrated. Hang in there!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

It'd have to be GF pasta as well. -nt new
      #188933 - 06/24/05 12:46 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Alicia's e-mail just inspired me... new
      #188943 - 06/24/05 02:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

to make a spinach dip! Now I have something special for Shabbos too! I will dip carrots in it, rice cakes, and maybe even put it on rice pasta for supper.

Thank you all for supporting me *hugs* Some days are just so hard...

Sending love to all!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Not the best cook... new
      #188946 - 06/24/05 02:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

for this sort of thing...but I appreciate the idea!

I'm fantastic at baking and at mking meat dishes. Since I can;t have soy or tofu or dairy and so many other things...I really have to make everything unprocessed and I'm just not great at it. Wind/Kate and Laurel have been a TREMENDOUS help...but for example, I had a cream of spinach soup recipe from Wind...and it called for broth. And i added some broth from the health store and got SICK. It had gluten in it...and I forgot to check.

I have to check that it is Kosher, sugar free, dairy free, AND gluten free! I usually forget to check for something and end up getting sick.

It's quite frustrating!

But I know over time I'll have some recipes down that I love and it won't be as difficult!

I love you guys *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Alicia's e-mail just inspired me... new
      #188951 - 06/24/05 02:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Good girl! That's the spirit!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#188958 - 06/24/05 03:10 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Stir fry some veggies for yourself to have with rice or gf pasta or quinoa. Puree some cooked veggies so you have 'sauces' to put on gf pasta, etc. If something calls for broth, use water instead and some spices, so you don't have to worry as much about checking the ingredients!

Make yourself gf pasta or rice or quinoa salad with cooked veggies, spices, and a tiny bit of olive oil and lemon juice.

Good luck, and have a good weekend! Thinking of you, hon!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Chocolate therapy??? new
      #188959 - 06/24/05 03:24 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Do gluten-free flours work? If you can have it, I think this sounds like a PERFECT time to bake up heather's fantabulous peppermint fudge cake! So yummy! And chocolate makes everything better, right?

Re: when recipes call for broth new
      #188968 - 06/24/05 04:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

More than half the time, I just use water! In smoothies/purees I actually prefer water! Stock is too easy to make...carrot/celery/herbs--your bouquet garni/onion and garlic if desired/sea salt simmer in a huge pot. After a few hours, just toss every thing in the water and strain it.

Seriously, though...steam/stir-fry/blanch some veggies and whip up some grain or tuber based salads, or just cook the basics so you have some variety prepped and ready to chow down! Honestly, I think most food tastes better cold. I know you love sweet potatoe--how about pre-cooking some and having it ready to munch on or for a salad/snack! Some fragrant rice dish? Noodle salad? Quinoa? Your hubby can delight in the sides, using his animal protein as a "condiment" or enhancement. Can you prep. some all fruit popsicles/sorbet? Note: Most of my food is blender-ized.
However, one thing I do is cook in batches and freeze. I make a pitcher of smoothie when I'm feeling fruity. Veggie smoothies/purees I make in batches, too. They're all set to go or use/adapt.

#188982 - 06/24/05 05:24 PM
bcteacher

Reged: 01/24/05

I would like to know about fish too!

#188999 - 06/24/05 06:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The no money thing makes it tough. I suggest searching online and going to the bookstore and reading recipes. Also go to the farmer's market and buy some produce. It shouldn't cost too much. If you do want to indulge I find it very exciting and a great incentive to buy fancy spices and vanilla and that kind of thing. Try to take advantage of summer seasonal produce.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Farmer's markets/Seasonal foods new
      #189008 - 06/24/05 07:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's amazing how many bargains you can find there! And it's fun! Organic food, too! Herbs, especially growing them yourself really peps up a dish and your mood. Honestly Ruchie, I don't know what to say other than if you're hungry enough you'll eat. May as well make healthy stuff available.
Focus more on the sharing, the nourishment, the smell, colour, texture, the satiety of hunger and well-beingness...the creativity...there is so much more to food than eating. It's just the fuel. What can I say, other than I personally eat like a child and am so fussy that well...my fridge is a collection of raw material so that something can magically appear/manifest. Hunger is the best seasoning, spice of all. I just stick just about everything in the food processor. Mostly, I just don't care so much anymore either--my treats are carrots and hybrid beets. I live on adult baby food, more than less and somedays I'm so bummed that my teeth really have no desire to chew.

Go for a walk through the market. It's a blast seeing nature harvested. Like trick-or-treating!

To make food more appealing, light some candles or put on some good tunes and just treat yourself respectfully and well if you're alone. Have lunch with you're favourite character from a novel or history or the person you'd like to become. I know, I'm strange, or shall I say unusual.

#189103 - 06/25/05 12:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be, because I'm only generally familiar with your religious dietary restrictions and even less familiar with the gluten-free restrictions, but here are some thoughts:

I went looking for the Twice Baked Sweet Potato recipes in the Recipe Index and got LOTS of hits on Sweet Potato recipes; maybe you could use or adapt some of them. For example, MCV's Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are just potatoes, pineapple, brown sugar, and a little oil and I don't think you'd miss the brown sugar if you left it out.

You posted a chicken recipe a while back (my herb garden is flourishing, so I'm going to try it as soon as it gets a little cooler here) so I'm hoping you can eat chicken; I love Kree's Crockpot Chicken Stew. If you can let your appliances work for you for Shabbos on a timer, maybe that would be a help there.

If you're good at roasting meat, you could make a roast chicken. You and/or your husband can eat off that for a while. With the leftover skin and bones, you can make your own chicken broth. There are some recipes/hints for that on the Recipe Board. How about roast turkey or just a roast turkey breast?

For yourself for Shabbos, can you stockpile some safe snacks? Even if it's not the healthiest stuff to eat on a regular basis, it would get some food down you for those 24 hours and reduce your stress level a little.

As for not reading the label carefully enough on the broth, oh, boy, I've been there. I'll see that a product says "Dairy Free", buy it, get it home, and discover it's got MSG. Or vice versa. What I finally did with chicken broth was just go to the grocery store and do nothing but read chicken broth labels. I found one that was safe and now that's what I buy. (I do recheck the label from time to time as Little Minnie recently suggested.) I have a grocery list on the computer with all the standard stuff I buy and I put brand names in it. That way, I don't have to think or remember (both of which are sometimes problematic for me, especially in the grocery store).

Last, but not least, there's no law that says you have to enjoy cooking. You might have to do it for a variety of reasons, but you're not required to enjoy it. I, personally, consider the Food Channel a variety of fantasy entertainment, like "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings". You might see if you can find a copy of "The I Hate To Cook Book" by Peg Bracken. It's out of print and I don't know how many of her recipes you or your husband could eat, but it's worth looking at just for her attitude - heck, just for her chapter titles. For example:

Day-by-Day Entrees (or The Rock Pile)
Company's Coming (or Your Back's To The Wall)
Potluck Suppers (or How To Bring The Water For The Lemonade)

Peg Bracken is also the author of one of my favorite quotes: "You don't get over hating to cook, any more than you get over having big feet."

BTW, I keep meaning to post a thank-you to you, but never quite knew where, so I'll slip it in here. In on of your posts a while back, you mentioned FlyLady.net. I checked it out and it's great. I haven't signed up (yet), but I find it really helpful just to read her approach and her hints. So, thanks a lot.

I hope some of my thoughts help you in return. Please take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Another suggestion new
      #189109 - 06/25/05 01:26 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

There are a bunch of potato salad recipes on the recipe index, I'm a fan of Panda's Middle Eastern Potato Salad (as is Mac!) which is meant to be eaten cold, and many potato salads are...so that might be another Shabbos option for you!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review