All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I don't know if my symptoms are IBS...
      #188717 - 06/23/05 02:37 PM
pampalm

Reged: 06/23/05

I'm not sure I have IBS but do know I've suffered from chronic constipation for the majority of my 44 years. I currently take Herbal Fiberblend and Cascara Sagrada in order to "go". If I don't, it is 3-4 days in between movements.

However, I don't know what a spastic colon would feel like and wonder if I do have one. The reason I ask is because about 2 1/2 years ago, I started to get bad cramps and severe pain in my abdomin and anal area. I went to the doctor and couldn't find a reason for it because she thought perhaps it was connected to my having a prolapsed uterus and bladder and she thought that was why I was having pain. The pain would happen occasionally, it was usually after intercourse-the pain would happen within 5 min of intercourse and the only relief I could get was sitting on the toilet with no desire to eliminate but the pain would cause me to become nausous and get light-headed.

I tried to explain that the pain would start towards the "rear of my body, be around the anal region, and spread into my abdominal area" (and no, our intercourse was vaginal).

I ended up having a total hysterectomy and I still have occasional spells like this, at any time of day. They are becoming more frequent and painful.

Is this similar to what a spastic colon feels like?

I apologize if this is a rather graphic posting but I'm just about at my whits end. My doctor simply says its nerves. i've put on weight, can't take it off, been trying to eat a low-carb diet because I am carb-sensative.

Thank you for listening.
pam

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't know if my symptoms are IBS... new
      #188795 - 06/23/05 07:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Pam! Welcome to the boards. Don't worry about being graphic... that kind of thing doesn't bother us here. (Look at what we all have to deal with! Hehe. )

I don't have any experience with a prolapsed uterus/bladder, so someone might come along that will be more helpful than me, but I *can* tell you that IBS can cause all kinds of pains and spasms. I've had the same kind of cramping that you have, although I'm more prone to diarrhea than constipation.

I can also tell you that IBS is typically diagnosed by colonoscopy and a handful of other tests to rule out other, more serious conditions, so if you haven't had them, I'd recommend them, just to be sure.

Also, and I know you won't want to hear this, but I have to tell you anyway... if you do have IBS, a low-carb diet is just about the WORST thing you can be eating. About a year and a half ago I started low-carbing and it nearly landed me in the hospital - I'm still recovering! I'm not sure what you mean by "carb-sensitive", but I do recommend reading through the diet information here on the site (the links are on the menu bar to the left), to get an idea of what kind of diet works and also what tests you may need to look into.

Good luck, and welcome again!

Get a new doctor! new
      #188814 - 06/23/05 11:11 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Jeez, you should NEVER be told that. Get a new one straightaway. You need to go through the tests to be safe, but that does sound rather like IBS to me...I had exactly the same kind of pain...that awful pain around the anus. And, Casey's right, nothing is ever too graphic on here!

Good luck!

Re: I don't know if my symptoms are IBS... new
      #188850 - 06/24/05 07:06 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Pam,
I hope I am helpful to you. I was diagnosed with a descended pelvic floor muscles which have, in turn, caused a rectal prolapse--similar to what you are going through?! Those are def tied to constipation. In fact, the doctors have found in my testing that, given the prolapse, when the "normal" person contracts to go to the bathroom, the muscles contract and relax accordingly to move waste out. With prolapsed muscles, those actions are uncoordinated and instead, in my case anyway, a muscular bulge blocks the stool from passing through. I don't have the same type of pain that you have, but my bloating from stool build-up becomes painful in sense of intense pressure throughout my abdomen all the way to my chest. When severe, I often vomit. But you could have a descended pelvis which has caused the prolapsed uterus, etc. bec when your pelvic floor loses its ability to "hold" all those organs in place, that is when the prolapse becomes apparent. I was tested using colonoscopies, barium enemas, anorectal manometries and then finally defogram. The first two checked for Crohn's etc and the last two found the structural issues of prolapse/fallen pelvis. I would def pursue further testing with your doctor to learn more. And, yes, painful intercourse and inability to hold "urine" are all associated with uterine/pelvic problems. I am to begin biofeedback shortly, and have heard it is effective treatment in these cases.

Hope this is helpful!!!

Kristen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review