All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help, I love milk!
      #18837 - 08/28/03 08:33 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I always have cereal in the mornings, and I love shakes and ice cream. But lately they have been getting more intolerable. I've never tried any type of milk substitute. Are there any out there that taste just like milk??
School starting soon, need food!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, I love milk! new
      #18846 - 08/28/03 09:34 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never had any that tasted exactly like milk, but I like the vanilla or plain (depends on how sweet the cereal is I'm eating) rice milk on cold cereal, and I like the vanilla soy milk in hot cereal.

#18849 - 08/28/03 09:44 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I really like the Rice Dream brand of Vanilla rice milK. I dont care for the soy milk. However, I LOVE the Soy IceCream, I think it taste better than regular ice cream!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#18873 - 08/28/03 11:24 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Where can I get some of these brands? Are they available at my local grocery store?

#18884 - 08/28/03 12:17 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Kroger grocery store (its a regular chain of grocery stores) carries the rice dream mile. Look by the baking stuff or if they have a health food section. The soy ice cream I can only find in health food stores. Whole foods carries it, if you have one around your area.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#18886 - 08/28/03 12:33 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Be sure and check the expiration date. Sometimes the markets don't move the boxes quick enough.

#18889 - 08/28/03 01:16 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

The rice milk is not in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. It's in a carton on the shelf, usually by the rest of the baking ingredients. At least that's where I found it. I thought it was strange-tasting when I first tried it, but now I love it and prefer it to real milk!!!

#18890 - 08/28/03 01:16 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Alot of super stores, like super wal-mart or meijer, carry many brands of soy and rice based milk and ice cream. Some are found in the health food aisle and some in the dairy case. Many places also have lactaid milks, milk with the lactose removed, the lactose is the killer for me in milk products

#18900 - 08/28/03 02:49 PM
*Melissa*

They can be in a lot of different places, depends where you go, as you can see from everyone's posts. If you put your location in your profile, sometimes that helps and you can get better advice on where & what kinds of foods, meds, etc.

If you decide to add it, go to My Home, then edit personal preferences.

#18919 - 08/28/03 05:54 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I went to my doctor today to discuss my latest discoveries about my diet and was going to post an entry entitled, "ARGGHHH! It IS milk!" And here was "Help, I love milk!" with some of the questions I had been wanting to ask. My doctor told me today that 60% of people with IBS are lactose intolerant and unable to eat dairy.

When I posted the "Imodium?" questions I was just figuring out that I might have to give up milk afterall (I was holding onto it as long as I could). Something Mags said made me stop to think about what might be left that I hadn't thought about eliminating that was still cuasing my stomach to be upset. The only thing that was left was MILK. I eliminated it all a week ago, and after day two have felt better and better each day. So, I am still in mourning for cheese and ice cream and yogurt and cold milk, etc., etc.

My doctor reassured me that one can get all the calcium one needs from supplements. She expressed a concern with the lead levels in Calcrate plus D, so we discussed some options for that. Now that milk is eliminated I am swinging back a bit toward constipation if I'm not really careful and drink a lot of water and use Citrucel two or three times a day, so she suggested I take half Citrate and half Caltrate. Citrate has magnesium, so I hope it doesn't loosen things up too much.

Has anybody found a soy yogurt that tastes good? Like Mags I really like the rice milk on cold ice cream. I think the soy ice cream is great, too. All of this is also in Meijer's, if you live in Michigan. Plus, has anyone found Lact-Aid helpful in case you're in a situation when you have to have milk?

#18927 - 08/28/03 06:47 PM
BL

Wow! It sounds like you have a good doctor. Is this a GI doctor? I'm so envious. The one I see (who is supposed to be the best in town) took only a few minutes with me, never discussed diet with me, and I can't get him to call me with the test results from my ultrasound. (I had to call his answering service after my colonscopy and say, "Hello? Are you going to let me in on what happened?") I think we have too much managed care in Charlotte. It's hard for me to believe it when I hear all these people who've posted talk about these discussions they have with their doctors. I'm happy for you guys, but I am so frustrated because the medical care I get here is nothing like what you get! They act like I'm bothering them if I call and ask for my test results. I paid for it! Shouldn't I have a right to the results? Sorry, I needed to vent. I feel better now.

#18934 - 08/28/03 07:00 PM
*Melissa*

I eat Silk soy yogurt, and that's because it's what my local grocery store carries. And, they don't have much variety. But, I do like the taste of it.

When I get around to it I travel out to Whole Foods. They have lots of soy yogurts. I tried Whole Soy (I think that was the brand) and it was good, but it tasted really "soy-y". It didn't bother me, but I could see how others wouldn't care for it. I also tried Stoneyfield Oh Soy and they were okay. So far, I've liked Silk the best.

And, on the rare occasion I break down and have some pizza or something else with dairy, I take Lactaid just to be safe. Extra Strengh. It does help some - I don't feel as bad as I could later on after I've sinned! LOL Also, if I do have pizza, I dab some of the grease off with a napkin. At least it gets rid of some of the grease.

Edited by Mags2003 (08/28/03 07:01 PM)

#18953 - 08/29/03 05:30 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I find Lactaid helps alot! I use lactaid milk in my baking & cooking,& also in my cereal. I use the lactaid tablets when I need it;especially with pizza and lazagna!( a small piece)or when you are out eating somewhere and you definitely need to eat dairy !!

#18978 - 08/29/03 08:28 AM
busymom

Regardless of his reputation as a good doctor, you need a different doctor. One with interpersonal skills would be good. I don't want to sound sexist, but I've had the best luck with female doctors who all have been willing to talk and discuss everything I want to discuss without having one foot already planted right outside the door so they can leave. Some male doctors have been good, but ALL my female doctors have been good over the last 21 years. My doctor is a doctor of internal medicine--that is the only type of doctor I've seen for IBS, both in Michigan and Wyoming. They address all the internal systems linked to the GI tract. Charlotte, NC is a big place--look for a doctor that can communicate.

#18979 - 08/29/03 08:45 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'd recommend Silk yogurt too. Mag is right - the Whole Soy tastes too much like soy. I'm not a big fan of the soy bean taste so was happy to find out that Silk doesn't have that big of soy taste.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Oh, one more thing about calcium pills new
      #18996 - 08/29/03 11:10 AM
busymom

One more thing about calcium pills. My doctor told me that the body cannot absorb more than 500 mg. at a time, so she advised breaking the calcium pills in half and instead of taking two pills twice a day, to take 4 half-pills four times a day. That way you get more of the calcium out of your pill.

Busymom.... new
      #19031 - 08/29/03 01:53 PM
BL

It's not just this doctor. It's almost every doctor I've seen lately. That's why it's so frustrating. I'm back to the drawing board.
I was going to give this GI doctor one more chance to redeem himself, but I'm so mad I'll never go back to him again. Here it is Friday afternoon, I had my ultrasound done Wednesday morning, and no word from him yet. When I call, the nurse says, "He's got your file with him. He'll call you as soon as he gets to it." I've given up hearing from him. Unfortunately, I've looked at the list of GI doctors covered under my insurance and there aren't any women in my area of town. Guess I need to look for a female internist. I always thought a GI doctor would know so much more about IBS, but an internist is just as good?

Re: Busymom.... new
      #19105 - 08/30/03 12:09 PM
busymom

I have only seen Doctors of Internal Medicine for my IBS, and all have been women, and I have had a uniformly satisfying experience with them. They have been very thorough, knew all the tests to run, all the latest dietary info, and I could talk openly and comfortably about all the particulars about hemorrhoids, bowel movements, emotions and felt completely comfortable doing so. They have been easy to talk to, personable and warm. Doctor of Internal Medicine is the official speciality title, not internist. After you get middle-aged (which I am), this is the type of doctor you are supposed to see because you begin to have more health problems. I have GERD, too, and other issues. However, my daughter is only 21 and she sees the same Doctor of Internal Medicine because she has complicated health issues, and is just as comfortable as I am with her. As a female, I have chosen to only see female physicians for the last 24 years, and I have been happy with every one of them. I'm sure there are bad female doctors out there, but I haven't met one yet in my many movings about the country and re-establishing health care in each community.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review