Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peanut Butter
      #187948 - 06/21/05 04:05 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi everyone,

I have a question. Peanut Butter isn't safe is it? I tried to incoropate it today and my stomach is bothering me a little bit. I don't know if it is the Peanut Butter or if it is something else.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peanut Butter new
      #187949 - 06/21/05 04:11 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try light peanut butter. It's lower in fat but higher in sugar - which is OK for IBS. Still, keep it in small doses.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#187950 - 06/21/05 04:14 PM
Sweetd

That's what I had. But it was chunky light, maybe that was the problem. I did try to chew it as throughly as I could.

--------------------

#187954 - 06/21/05 04:19 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm not sure that it's the chewing so much as the fat. You need to make sure that your whole meal is low fat, which (for me at least) means that you use hefty slices of bread and spread the peanut butter thinly. Or else you have a small sandwich plus some other low-fat and high in SF foods.

--AC

#187959 - 06/21/05 04:28 PM
Sweetd

That is what I did. I tried to spread it as thin as posible, but it didn't work so well. I don't like the bread from the HFS, b/c I don't like the taste, so the regular bread is so thin. The bread was (white bread toasted, which never bothers me) two thin slices. I should try to apread it thinner next time. Thanks.

--------------------

#187961 - 06/21/05 04:31 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Or you can just have some other low-fat food at the same time - no need to try to keep the peanut butter thickness down to a single molecule! Maybe some applesauce on the side? Or a banana?

You could also try some other nut butters to see if they work better for you. I swear that I can eat more almond or cashew butter than peanut butter....

--AC

#187963 - 06/21/05 04:34 PM
Sweetd

I will try that, thanks. You know, I can eat tons of almonds and cashews as well. I haven't tried them in the spreads, b/c they are so expensive but I can always eat them whole and forget the peanut butter all together if this doen't work. I think I will try what you said and eat it with sf. Thanks!

--------------------

adding to the other comments new
      #188022 - 06/21/05 08:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Even the reduced fat PB (which I eat very often) has 6g per Tablespoon and a tablespoon is not that big. Also some people don't do so well with PB/peanuts no matter what. Many use other nut butters.
About the fat calculations. I have a PB&J on work days. 2 peices of bread, less than 1T PB and some homemade jam= about 270 cals and 7grams of fat but that is 23% fat which is pretty high. I eat mine in two halves a ways apart and eat a banana or carrots around the same time too just to be safe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Dana, I'm glad you asked this, new
      #188044 - 06/21/05 10:52 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

b/c peanut butter is an immediate trigger for me, no matter how thinly spread. but I'm stating to see that even my beloved cashews hurt too.

My dietitian says we don't really need that much protein in our lives-4 oz a day is enough. So we don't ahve to force it if we don't want to. But I so love PB. Wah!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: adding to the other comments new
      #188124 - 06/22/05 06:56 AM
Sweetd

Thanks Little Minnie! I will try that.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 823 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2324

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review